COMPLETE[Multi] Multilingual Short Works Collection 011-hok

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Babylon5

Post by Babylon5 »

IsabelleB wrote:Here are my PL notes for section 3:

Background noise (a high-pitched sound) is noticeable over the first 4-5 minutes. I'll let a more tech-savvy listener check out this aspect and whether it is a problem or not. It crops up again later (towards 11:00), but is less noticeable.
I have listened again the recording. I don't hear the bacground noise you mentionned. That's very strange.
Anyway, I'll record again the whole story. There are too many mistakes.
Babylon5

Post by Babylon5 »

I have recorded again the text by Voltaire :
https://librivox.org/uploads/hokuspokus/msw011_memnonoulasagessehumaine_voltaire_128kb.mp3

You can consider the previous rrecording as obsolete, and PL it like a new recording.
Babylon5

Post by Babylon5 »

Hello,

I have recorded the first part of la Légende de Saint Julien l'Hospitalier by Gustave Flaubert (1821-1880)
Here is the link to my recording :
https://librivox.org/uploads/hokuspokus/lalegendedesaintjulienlhospitalier_premierepartie_flaubert.mp3
Timing : 26:30
Link to the text :
http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/12065/pg12065.txt
Date of publication : 1877
If you want to know more about Flaubert : http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustave_Flaubert

Cheers,

Françoise
gillesgleblanc

Post by gillesgleblanc »

Je viens de faire l'écoute de Légende de Saint Julien l'Hospitalier. Belle lecture.

Voici ce que j'ai noté.

Il n'y a pas les 5 secondes de silence à la fin de l'enregistrement.

00:00 : Titre: "La légende de..." au lieu de "Légende de

00:56 : Répétition de "Une seconde enceinte, faites de pieux...

02:07 : J'ai entendu .."les étendards..." plutôt que "...des étendards..."

03:12 : Ici le volume de : "Un peu fière et sérieuse" semble plus élevé que le reste, ça crée une distorsion.

10:19: J'ai cru entendre un "t" euphonique. Est-ce voulu? : "…et n'en dit rien-t-à personne"

10:29: "…il s'en approchait…" au lieu de "…il en approchait…"

22:05: Il semble y avoir un bruit de fond à partir d'ici, qu'on entend surtout dans les moments de "silence".

Je remarque que le volume semble être trop fort. Il se situe à 95 dB plutôt qu'à 89 dB et c'est peut-être cela la cause du bruit de fond qu'on entend. Juste pour voir, j'ai utilisé la fonction Amplification dans Audacity et réduit le volume pour l'amener à 89 dB et cela semble aider la cause.
Gilles
un Acadien errant
Babylon5

Post by Babylon5 »

Merci Gilles,

When you hear a louder sound in a passage, or some sort of break, it is because I PLed myself, and tried to re-record whenever I found a mistake. As for the noise at the end of the story, I didn't hear it when I listened to the recording

It is a rather long reading, but I wonder if it wouldn't be better to record it anew, mainly on account of the sound which is too loud, + this noise.... I am not very familiar with the various possibilities of Audacity.

Bonne journée à toi,

Françoise
Babylon5

Post by Babylon5 »

Rebonjour,

About La légende de St Julien l'Hospitalier, I have fixed some mistakes :

- There were about five seconds, I added 3 seconds. The timing now is 26:35 (silence included)
- Well, I said La légende in the intro ;
- I erased the repetition of "une seconde enceinte) (at 00.56) ;
- Les étendards : I preferred no to touch at the recording, this is a minor mistake according to me ;
- 3:12 : I managed to record with a lower voice, so that the distorsion as well as the "break" in the sentence can't be heard ;
- 10:19 : fixed
- 10:29 : I kept "s'en"
- 22:05 : As I said in my previous message, I can't hear the noise.

Anyway, this is the new link : https://librivox.org/uploads/hokuspokus/lalegendedesaintjulienlhospitalier_Flaubert_128kb.mp3

Perhaps it would be good, Hokus Pokus to check if you hear the noise.
Also, if you think the recording is awfully loud, I don't see any other way to correct this flaw than record the whole thing.

Françoise
redaer

Post by redaer »

Hokuspokus wrote:Vielen Dank für die Aufnahme, redaer.
Gleich angehört - PL OK :D
Danke, Hokuspokus!
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

My apologies, I've somehow missed the last posts.

Thank you for the recordings, Françoise, thank you for PL, Gilles.

In general it is not a very good idea to re-record the text completely when there are only some mistakes. It's a bit of a waste of time. You could work on another recording in that time. Editing is not so very difficult when you know how to do it. Maybe Phil's video can help you? You can find all of Phil's videos here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos

Do you know that you can make Audacity "talk" French? To change the language to French, click on Edit / Preferences / interface and in the language drop down select French. Makes orientation much easier.

I did the spot check for Légende de Saint Julien l'Hospitalier.
I agree that the minor mistakes don't need to be edited and the edits you did are all fine. But there is a problem with the disclaimer. I only noticed now that the former BC ekzemplaro has unfortunately changed the normal LV procedure. The disclaimer in the first post should only be used for very short text up to 500 words and for poetry. In all other cases there should be the normal long LV disclaimer. I'd say, for the Maupassant and the Voltaire we leave it as it is now. But for the Flaubert it would be good to have the full disclaimer.
Ceci est un enregistrement LibriVox. Tous nos enregistrements appartiennent au domaine public. Pour vous renseigner à notre sujet ou pour participer, rendez-vous sur LibriVox POINT org.
Françoise, could you please record a new intro. Title by author and disclaimer. I will edit it into your recording.

About the noise:
I hear it too, but for me it isn't a big distraction. It depends on the earphones, I guess. You could try to avoid it in the future. That kind of noise often comes from other hardware connected to the computer like printer, additional external hard drive and such. Could you try and disconnect/switch off everything you don't need during recording? Or if you record on a notebook, try recording with battery power or if you do, not with battery power?

About the volume:
Yes, it's much too loud. The audio is clipping and gets distorted in places. You need to make you input volume lower, before you do any further recordings. If you tell me your operating system I get an English or French explanation on how to do that. I can only explain that in German, I'm afraid. I will take care of the volume in Légende when I edit in the new disclaimer.
It is quite easy to reduce the volume after recording, but that is not good enough for the future because distorted audio stays distorted. And we want you to sound as good as possible.

The file names need to be uniform all over the project or the don't sort properly on players. For the next two sections please use msw011_legendedesaintjulien#_flaubert_fra_128kb.mp3
# being the number of the part
fra being your initials
I will take care of that for part one.
Babylon5

Post by Babylon5 »

Thanks for all these explainations, Hokus,

I'm sorry for all the inconvenience due to my ignorance.

Thanks also for the link to Phil's videos. I think I'll have a serious look tomorrow.
As for the language, the software Audacity is in French.
I'll change the intro tomorrow. Do I need to do the complete process : correcting my audacity file, exporting it to mp3, then upload the whole file or is it satisfactory to make this change in a "new" project, which I would name "disclaimer", then upload and copy-paste on this thread ?

For the sound, I think I can easily make it less loud if I lower the input level to 0.20, is this right ?

For the noise, I didn't know that other hardware can produce noises. I have a telephone on my desk : should I turn it off ? I can easily record with the battery power.

My operating system is Windows XP professionnal.

Have a good evening,

Françoise

PS : I forgot to say that I work with headphones with integrated microphone. I tried to work with a microphone on my desk, but the result was not satisfactory : I could hear an echo effect. But it is a cheap model. (Trademark : Trust)
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

We were all new here at one point, Françoise :)

Only the beginning of the recording, title by author and the disclaimer will be enough. Upload to my folder and post the link here. I take care of the rest.

The mysterious noise can come from the phone or the power supply. Best to switch off both and record with battery.

Reduce the input in the Panneau de configuration (that's how my dictionary calls it) to 2/3 oo 3/4 of what it is now. Much better to amplify the recording afterwards then the other way round. Do you know were to look and how to do this or should I get a description for you.
It should look and sound like the Maupassant. That was perfect regarding the volume.
Babylon5

Post by Babylon5 »

Hello Hokus,

I have recorded the full intro disclaimer.
As for the sound, I have lowered the input level to 0.20 in the tool box. So thereare no sounds above and under the graph representing my voice.
https://librivox.org/uploads/hokuspokus/disclaimer.mp3

Ah ! I forgot to say, for the title in the URL, the title starts with "la", so perhaps I could name the link for the second part :
msw11_lalegendedesaintjulien02_flaubert_fra_128kb.mp3, except if you have already edited the link without the article "la".

Have a good day,

Françoise
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Thank you, Françoise.

Here is the new file. Spot check was OK already. I only reduced the volume and added the new disclaimer. Give it a listen if you like the result.
https://librivox.org/uploads/hokuspokus/msw011_legendedesaintjulien1_flaubert_fra_128kb.mp3

For the file name we usually drop articles. Have to re-add that to the first post as well.
Babylon5

Post by Babylon5 »

I have listened to the recording. Indeed it is a good job you did.

Many thanks,

Françoise
Babylon5

Post by Babylon5 »

Hello Hokupokus,

I have finished recording the second part of la légende de Saint Julien l'Hospitalier, witn a timing of 23:43.
https://librivox.org/uploads/hokuspokus/msw011_legendedesaintjulien2_flaubert_fra_128kb.mp3

I have switched off all the devices that could be the cause of the noise, and also lowered the input level.

I hope this will be better, then.
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Thank you, Françoise.
The volume is perfect! I listened to some seconds here and there and could hear no noise!