COMPLETE: Hagar's Daughter by Pauline E. Hopkins - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry » December 16th, 2013, 11:35 am

Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #3

lubee930

Post by lubee930 » December 16th, 2013, 1:55 pm

msfry wrote:Chapter 31 has been uploaded.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_31_hopkins_128kb.mp3
Run Time: 12:16
11.2 mb
Thank you again, Michele--in the MW for PL'ing! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia

msfry

Post by msfry » December 17th, 2013, 10:33 am

Well-l-l-l-l-l-l, if nobody else shows up to claim, I guess I can record 26, 27 and 28. But, not having much feedback on what I've done already, I'm not sure if I'm the right person for the job . . . . so I hesitate. Also, if the reader for Section 2 can't be found, I suppose I could do that, but I doubt I could do as good a job as she did. Were there many mistakes? As I recall, it was pretty awesome!

Question: Does LV have a customary time for files to be PL'd once they are uploaded? I admit, it's a little demotivating to submit a recording then wait and wait for a response.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #3

lubee930

Post by lubee930 » December 17th, 2013, 5:32 pm

msfry wrote:Well-l-l-l-l-l-l, if nobody else shows up to claim, I guess I can record 26, 27 and 28. But, not having much feedback on what I've done already, I'm not sure if I'm the right person for the job . . . . so I hesitate. Also, if the reader for Section 2 can't be found, I suppose I could do that, but I doubt I could do as good a job as she did. Were there many mistakes? As I recall, it was pretty awesome!
Question: Does LV have a customary time for files to be PL'd once they are uploaded? I admit, it's a little demotivating to submit a recording then wait and wait for a response.

Hi, Michele--Well, you've passed muster on eight sections here previously, so I'd say it's a safe bet that you'd be O.K. 8-) But if you would prefer to get feedback before making additional claims, then I'll wait before assigning more sections to you. Up to you.

And I do think it is probably more important to be prompt in PL'ing and giving feedback when one is dealing with a newbie reader. On my very first section or two, I can remember waiting on pins and needles, checking the thread over and over again in a short period of time, hoping that my recordings were not really, really terrible and unusable. :roll: But for old hands like us? Not such a big rush, in my view.

I'm not aware of any particular LV guidelines as far as timeframe for PL'ing files. I'm supposing that the Holiday Season is a particularly busy few weeks for most people right now, so I haven't been pressing to get files PL'ed at the moment. If you are very anxious to find out how you did on your latest files, I'll be happy to PL them myself. I always enjoy hearing your chapters!

As far as Section 02, I PM'ed the reader but got no response. And, yes, she read her sections beautifully, so I intend to use her tracks. I will make a couple of corrections on Section 02 myself--and then it will be fine. But thanks for the offer--I appreciate it! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia

VanOs12

Post by VanOs12 » December 17th, 2013, 7:39 pm

lubee930 wrote:Well-l-l-l-l-l-l, if nobody else shows up to claim, I guess I can record 26, 27 and 28
I was actually wondering if I could do those sections?

Arie
Cheers

msfry

Post by msfry » December 17th, 2013, 8:10 pm

lubee930 wrote: And I do think it is probably more important to be prompt in PL'ing and giving feedback when one is dealing with a newbie reader. But for old hands like us? Not such a big rush, in my view.

I'm supposing that If you are very anxious to find out how you did on your latest files, I'll be happy to PL them myself. I always enjoy hearing your chapters!
Oh, I'm not a newbie? I think of myself as one, learning so much new stuff each time I record. You put a whole new spin on this for me. HA! Still, getting PL'd quickly keeps the momentum going and keeps one in character. Once one skips around to other projects, it's easy to lose the voice, the tempo, forget character details, even lose "the sharp edge of interest" in the project!

Your choice on PL'ing my latest sections. Of course, I'd like that, but I can wait. Arie can have those last 3 chapters, then you could read the book in order. It would be a shame to spoil your experience.
Michele Fry, CC

Love Stories #3

lubee930

Post by lubee930 » December 18th, 2013, 4:59 am

msfry wrote:
lubee930 wrote: And I do think it is probably more important to be prompt in PL'ing and giving feedback when one is dealing with a newbie reader. But for old hands like us? Not such a big rush, in my view.

I'm supposing that If you are very anxious to find out how you did on your latest files, I'll be happy to PL them myself. I always enjoy hearing your chapters!
Oh, I'm not a newbie? I think of myself as one, learning so much new stuff each time I record. You put a whole new spin on this for me. HA! Still, getting PL'd quickly keeps the momentum going and keeps one in character. Once one skips around to other projects, it's easy to lose the voice, the tempo, forget character details, even lose "the sharp edge of interest" in the project!

Your choice on PL'ing my latest sections. Of course, I'd like that, but I can wait. Arie can have those last 3 chapters, then you could read the book in order. It would be a shame to spoil your experience.
Valid points, Michele. We'll give our new DPL a bit more time, if O.K. with you. And thanks for your understanding! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia

lubee930

Post by lubee930 » December 18th, 2013, 5:00 am

VanOs12 wrote:
lubee930 wrote:Well-l-l-l-l-l-l, if nobody else shows up to claim, I guess I can record 26, 27 and 28
I was actually wondering if I could do those sections?
Arie
Hi Arie--I've put you in the MW for Sections 26,27 28. Thank you for claiming! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia

msfry

Post by msfry » December 18th, 2013, 12:55 pm

lubee930 wrote:We'll give our new DPL a bit more time, if O.K. with you. And thanks for your understanding! :)
Okay. I'd also be glad to help PL the other readers, and they might be OK PL'ing mine. Let me know if you want help.
Michele Fry, CC

Love Stories #3

VanOs12

Post by VanOs12 » December 19th, 2013, 9:39 pm

Section 26 is ready, and is 16:05 in length:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_26_hopkins_128kb.mp3
The other two hopefully by the end of the week.

Arie
Cheers

lubee930

Post by lubee930 » December 19th, 2013, 10:10 pm

VanOs12 wrote:Section 26 is ready, and is 16:05 in length:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_26_hopkins_128kb.mp3
The other two hopefully by the end of the week.
Arie
Thanks very much, Arie! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia

patmorgan235

Post by patmorgan235 » December 21st, 2013, 7:47 pm

Hi sorry for disappearing for the last week (finals and all :shock: ) I have a long car ride ahead tomarrow and plan to get 4 or 5 sections done

Michele the 1 section i PL'd that was by you was great :D
Last edited by patmorgan235 on December 21st, 2013, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patric Morgan
DPL

lubee930

Post by lubee930 » December 21st, 2013, 7:55 pm

patmorgan235 wrote:Hi sorry for disappearing for the last week (finals and all :shock: ) I have a long car ride ahead tomarrow and plan to get 4 or 5 sections done
Michele the 1 section i PL'd to by you was great :D
Sounds good, patmorgan235. :thumbs: Have a safe trip!
Kind regards,
Lucretia

patmorgan235

Post by patmorgan235 » December 21st, 2013, 8:18 pm

Thanks lubee930

Section 18 PL notes

0:40 questionable pause?(would like a second opinion )

8:30 changed "She took herself to talk for ..." to "She took herself to task for..."

at the end it needs a second or two of silence between "...many things." and "end of chapter..." its a bit abrupt

Other than that it was a great recording to listen to.
Patric Morgan
DPL

patmorgan235

Post by patmorgan235 » December 21st, 2013, 8:49 pm

Section 19 PL OK

There was one small error at 1:49 "in even" was flipped to "even in"

Personally I don't think its worth it to fix but if you(VanOs or lubee) do then I say go ahead and fix it

Great job tho keep up the good work!
Patric Morgan
DPL