COMPLETE: Hagar's Daughter by Pauline E. Hopkins - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

msfry wrote:Knowing that, I'd like to claim Chapters 32 - 37 (many are very short), unless you object. The courtroom scene especially resurrects all my favorite characters and will be lots of fun to put together.
Wonderful, Michele! I'll be happy to assign those chapters to you--thank you. :) (Now you've really got me intrigued about PL'ing the rest of the book!)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
msfry

Post by msfry »

msfry wrote:[Okay, I simply had to know who is who, as all the initial characters seem to disappear at Chapter 9 as we skip 20 years ahead! So I copied the whole book from Chap 9 on into a Word doc, did a Find command for the words Hagar, Ellis, Enson, then Walker, and I suppose it would be well for our readers to know that those same characters are alive and well throughout the book and disguised under other names!
For those who want to dramatize the parts, I've decided to share this list of main characters that first appear in Chapter 9, all with Deep South accents:
Mrs. Bowen is Hagar
General Benson is St. Clair Enson
Chief Henson is Ellis Enson
Major Madison is Walker

Cuthbert Sumner is a wealthy Yankee, with a Harvard education.
Last edited by msfry on November 11th, 2013, 2:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Chapter 8 is uploaded.

http://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_08_hopkins_128kb.mp3

Run Time: 6:49
6.24 mb

FYI, I am open to receiving crits and comments on the chapters I read. If you think I can improve them, if anything sounds hideous, too loud, too soft, too slow, too fast, characters in the wrong voice, stressing the wrong words, etc., please let me know. I like the teamwork and the opportunity LV affords me to practice editing and improving my skills.
msfry

Post by msfry »

I'd like to take on Chapter 9 if you don't mind. I just read it through and think I can do it well enough. I don't want to hog the project but I just finished recording a long solo project last week, and missing it, am looking for something else to perform. :)
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

msfry wrote:I'd like to take on Chapter 9 if you don't mind. I just read it through and think I can do it well enough. I don't want to hog the project but I just finished recording a long solo project last week, and missing it, am looking for something else to perform. :)
Thank you, Michele, for your latest section. I will try to PL sometime Sunday or Monday. I will be making bread tomorrow afternoon, but otherwise perhaps can devote remainder of the day to LV.

And you're not hogging the project! :lol: I'm entirely happy to assign any/all sections to you that you would enjoy taking on. And thank you!
Kind regards,
Lucretia
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

msfry wrote:Chapter 7 is uploaded.
http://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_07_hopkins_128kb.mp3
Run Time 19:07; 17.5mb
msfry wrote:Chapter 8 is uploaded.
http://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_08_hopkins_128kb.mp3
Run Time: 6:49
6.24 mb
Hi, Michele--You did a lovely job on the song, a great touch! :clap:

Section 07: PL OK
Section 08: PL OK

(And for your future files, don't forget that we want no more than .5 - 1 second of silence at the beginning of the track. :) )

Looking forward to 09--and thanks again!
Kind regards,
Lucretia
VanOs12

Post by VanOs12 »

Hi, here is section 06. Sorry for the delay.

http://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_06_hopkins_128kb.mp3
10:43 in length.

Arie
Cheers
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

VanOs12 wrote:Hi, here is section 06. Sorry for the delay.
http://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_06_hopkins_128kb.mp3
Arie

No apology needed--and thank you! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
msfry

Post by msfry »

Oops! I realize I've been pronouncing Hagar wrong. I've been saying Hag-er. Should have followed the lead on Chapters 1 and 2 and said Hay-gar. DUH! I prefer the latter, too, as the lead female role should not be a Hag! So since so far only Chapter 7 has many instances, I'm going to change the intros to my other chapters, and endeavor to spot-change it in Chapter 7. It shouldn't be too hard, and if it is, well, good editing practice and it serves me right!

I notice Arie pronounced it the right way in her Chapter 6, and I think we should alert future readers on the opening post to pronounce it Hay-gar.
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

msfry wrote:Oops! I realize I've been pronouncing Hagar wrong. I've been saying Hag-er. Should have followed the lead on Chapters 1 and 2 and said Hay-gar. DUH! I prefer the latter, too, as the lead female role should not be a Hag! So since so far only Chapter 7 has many instances, I'm going to change the intros to my other chapters, and endeavor to spot-change it in Chapter 7. It shouldn't be too hard, and if it is, well, good editing practice and it serves me right!

I notice Arie pronounced it the right way in her Chapter 6, and I think we should alert future readers on the opening post to pronounce it Hay-gar.
Hi, Michele--Well, I have heard it pronounced both ways, so up to you if you want to make all of those changes. :) I went ahead and put a pronunciation tip for readers in the first post. Unless proper names and place names are very, very straightforward, I generally expect to hear some variations in pronunciation (referring to group projects, that is). Thanks!
Kind regards,
Lucretia
msfry

Post by msfry »

Okay, Chapters 3, 4, 7, and 8 have been re-worked and re-uploaded with pronunciation Hay-gar. I like them much better! I went ahead while at it and shortened the intro times as requested. I think I was counting 1 second before taking a breath rather than beginning of first word! LOL

Chapter 9 is uploaded for PL.

http://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_09_hopkins_128kb.mp3

Run Time: 7:59
7.31 mb
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

msfry wrote:Okay, Chapters 3, 4, 7, and 8 have been re-worked and re-uploaded with pronunciation Hay-gar. I like them much better! I went ahead while at it and shortened the intro times as requested. I think I was counting 1 second before taking a breath rather than beginning of first word! LOL
Chapter 9 is uploaded for PL.
http://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_09_hopkins_128kb.mp3
Run Time: 7:59
7.31 mb

I will try to listen a bit later this evening--thank you, Michele! I had actually noticed only one of your files where the beginning silence was over 2 seconds--and so mentioned it for future recordings. You are super diligent about your recordings--much appreciated! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

VanOs12 wrote:Hi, here is section 06. Sorry for the delay.
Arie
A really lovely recording, Arie--thank you so much! :thumbs:

Section 06: PL OK

Just FYI: Your volume is a little high at 91.6 dB, but acceptable. And there are a few places in your track where there is some "clipping"--a spike in the volume of your voice. I don't know if you use Audacity to record or edit, but if so, then go to the top menu bar and click "View", then select "Show Clipping". Any instances of clipping in your track will then show up in red and are easily seen. For future recordings, you might reduce your input volume a smidge or else move back from the microphone just a bit. :)

You did a great job--I hope to hear more from you here!
Kind regards,
Lucretia
VanOs12

Post by VanOs12 »

lubee930 wrote:Just FYI: Your volume is a little high at 91.6 dB, but acceptable. And there are a few places in your track where there is some "clipping"--a spike in the volume of your voice
Thanks for the feedback, it helps fine tune my recording process :)
and I'd like to take sections 10 and 11 please.

Arie
Cheers
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

VanOs12 wrote:
lubee930 wrote:Just FYI: Your volume is a little high at 91.6 dB, but acceptable. And there are a few places in your track where there is some "clipping"--a spike in the volume of your voice
Thanks for the feedback, it helps fine tune my recording process :)
and I'd like to take sections 10 and 11 please.
Arie
Wonderful, Arie--I've put you in the MW for 10 & 11. Thank you! :)

And for what's it's worth, I still fiddle with the volume on my tracks, always have to amplify. When I get a track that sounds pretty decent, then I'm thinking to myself, "O.K., now exactly what did I do on that one?" :hmm:
Kind regards,
Lucretia