COMPLETE Tom Swift and His Submarine Boat - mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
heathcliffe

Post by heathcliffe » October 11th, 2013, 8:30 am

Tom Swift and His Submarine Boat by Victor Appleton.
Otherwise known as 'Under the Ocean for Sunken Treasure', is Volume 4 in the original Tom Swift novel series. Tom persuades his father to use his own submarine to hunt for treasure on a sunken ship. The book follows his adventures in this pursuit. ( Claire Schreuder)
Kevin (kwdavids) is the Book Coordinator (BC) on this project.

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/tom-swift-and-his-submarine-boat-by-victor-appleton/
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://gutenberg.org/ebooks/949
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

• Project Code: jfBZFlfp
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Victor Appleton) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Appleton
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Swift_and_His_Submarine_Boat
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 25
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): 1910
      • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

============================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Action & Adventure

Keywords that describe the book: children, adventure, treasure, sea, boat, submarine

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of Tom Swift and His Submarine Boat. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Tom Swift and His Submarine Boat, by Victor Appleton. [Chapter]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Tom Swift and His Submarine Boat, by Victor Appleton. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      tomswiftandhissubmarineboat_##_appleton_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. tomswiftandhissubmarineboat_01_appleton_128kb.mp3)
    9. ID3 V2 tags
      No need to add ID3 tags to your file. Admin will add the tags during cataloging process.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
        http://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by heathcliffe on October 14th, 2013, 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » October 12th, 2013, 9:26 am

Heathcliffe,
I'll be happy to MC this for you. Back in a bit with the MW.
MaryAnn

heathcliffe

Post by heathcliffe » October 12th, 2013, 9:39 am

Ah thank you - that is brilliant :)
Hoping this book will be as enjoyable and popular as the other Tom Swift ones.

Many THanks :)
Claire

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » October 12th, 2013, 9:42 am

The MW is up Claire. Once you get it filled in, we'll mosey on over to readers wanted.

MaryAnn

heathcliffe

Post by heathcliffe » October 12th, 2013, 9:56 am

Thank you ! :)
I've just populated the MW.

heathcliffe

Post by heathcliffe » October 14th, 2013, 7:57 am

Anyone keen to DPL ?

DACSoft

Post by DACSoft » October 14th, 2013, 8:04 am

I'd like to DPL if I could (caution - it would be my first :) ). I've read and enjoyed most of the Tom Swift (ebooks) and Tom Swift Jr. (books) series when I was younger.
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
Baseball Joe in the Big League; Left to Themselves
Next up:
Baseball Joe on the Giants; Whispering Tongues; Baseball Joe in the World Series

heathcliffe

Post by heathcliffe » October 14th, 2013, 8:35 am

That would be great. Thank you. :D

I'm also just starting out as a DPL (on Halfpast Bedtime) - the trick to that is that I won't know all that much if we get stuck, but hoping that MaryAnn who is our mc might be able to help us both if we need.
Hoping we will get some readers soon so that we can get things going.

Kind Regards
Claire

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » October 14th, 2013, 9:18 am

Don,

I've added you to the MW as DPL. I see you have had MW access in the past, but just in case you have questions, info on using the MW is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ/edit?pli=1 If you have any trouble getting in, please let me know.

It would help me if you could check technical specs for newer readers. So if a reader has more than 10 or 15 sections in the catalog, they are likely to get their tech specs correct and there's no need to do a special check as you PL. But if this is one of their first sections, it's worth a check because it allows us to give them quick feedback and maybe avoid the issue on other sections they are currently recording. (Quick feedback also increases the chance that they will be around to correct the file!) You can run their files through our Checker program - see info at http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker Make sure you download the experimental version. I tend to ignore Checker's read on background noise, and instead ask myself whether the background noise is noticeable/distracting when I listen to the file.

Look forward to working with you on this - Tom Swift is very popular!

MaryAnn

DACSoft

Post by DACSoft » October 14th, 2013, 1:58 pm

Hi MaryAnn,

Thanks and appreciation for the information on MW and Checker, and the tips. While this is my first PL/DPL project, I've been a reader for a few months (currently soloing a Baseball Joe project), which is where my MW access came from. And I'm familiar with using Checker, so I'll be happy to check the tech specs.

I'm enthusiastic to be working with you and Claire on this project! It's great to see these old series coming to audio for the newer generations!!
Don (DACSoft)

In Progress:
Next up:
Baseball Joe on the Giants; Whispering Tongues; Baseball Joe in the World Series

heathcliffe

Post by heathcliffe » October 18th, 2013, 4:09 am

ok Don - I've read a chapter to try to help get the ball rolling with this book

Here it it - Chapter 3 : http://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/tomswiftandhissubmarineboat_03_appleton_128kb.mp3
Time 6:06

heathcliffe

Post by heathcliffe » October 18th, 2013, 4:48 am

DACSoft

Post by DACSoft » October 18th, 2013, 9:47 am

Great Claire! I'll review them both this evening.
Don (DACSoft)

In Progress:
Next up:

DACSoft

Post by DACSoft » October 18th, 2013, 6:52 pm

Chapter 3 and Chapter 15 are both PL OK! :thumbs:
Don (DACSoft)

In Progress:
Next up:

RalphCrown

Post by RalphCrown » October 22nd, 2013, 3:19 pm

I'll gladly take chapters 1 and 2.
born to read