[COMPLETE] Blue Cat of Castle Town by Catherine Coblentz-kd

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
peastman

Post by peastman »

The Blue Cat of Castle Town by Catherine Cate Coblentz (1897 - 1951) .

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-blue-cat-of-castle-town-by-catherine-cate-coblentz/

Volunteers outside the USA: Catherine Cate Coblentz died in 1951. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, .
"The mother cat had been quite upset when she first saw the blue kitten. She had looked fearfully then toward the river. For, like all cats, she had heard that a blue kitten could learn the river's song. Any kitten has a hard enough time to find a home for himself. For every kitten must find a hearth to fit his song. But a kitten who listens to the river and learns the river's song has the hardest time of all. Not only must the kitten who sings the river's song find a hearth to fit that song, but he must teach the keeper of that hearth to sing the same song. The river's song is very old. And mortals who have ears to hear and hearts to sing are fewer than few." (From The Blue Cat of Castle Town)
  • Target completion date: 2013-Nov-30
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/coblentz/cat/cat.html
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project:
    animals, children, fiction

Keywords that describe the book:
    Cats; Vermont; Newbery Honor Book
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Blue Cat of Castle Town . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Blue Cat of Castle Town , by Catherine Cate Coblentz . [Chapter]"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Blue Cat of Castle Town by Catherine Cate Coblentz . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Blue Cat of Castle Town , by Catherine Cate Coblentz . "
    There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    bluecatofcastletown_##_coblentz_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. bluecatofcastletown_01_coblentz_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Catherine Cate Coblentz
    Album: The Blue Cat of Castle Town

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kd - KiltedDragon
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

Oh for cute. If you're looking for a DPL, I'd love to do it when this goes live. :D
~Elley

I've had a death in the family and won't be around Librivox much for the next while. I'll be back ... when I'm back. I appreciate your patience in the meanwhile. :)
peastman

Post by peastman »

Thank you, having you DPL would be great! And your name is very appropriate for the book. :)

Peter
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

All set up, Peter. :)
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
peastman

Post by peastman »

Thank you! Should I fill in the section titles in the magic window, or wait till the database migration is complete first?

Peter
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

peastman wrote:Thank you! Should I fill in the section titles in the magic window, or wait till the database migration is complete first?

Peter
My guess as to the answer: It's up to you, whether you want to manually copy over anything put into the MW to the new MW once the new system goes live. What I've seen some suggest in other solos on hold in the launch pad is they start recording, and then when the new system goes live they can update everything they've got then. You could just post the listen links in the thread and I'd PL in the thread, or record and wait to post anything, or wait entirely... :) So many options!
~Elley

I've had a death in the family and won't be around Librivox much for the next while. I'll be back ... when I'm back. I appreciate your patience in the meanwhile. :)
peastman

Post by peastman »

Ok, that sounds like a plan. I'll post the files as I record them, but not update the MW.

Peter
peastman

Post by peastman »

ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

I'm so glad I get to DPL this book. :) What a cute story.
Your reading is great, but the volume is too low. It's at 83.8 dB, should aim for 89 dB (87-91 is the acceptable range). :D
~Elley

peastman

Post by peastman »

Hi Elley, (is that your name?)

I already reduced the peaks and amplified it by 2 dB. I can try to amplify it a bit more, but there's no way I can get it anywhere close to 89 without severely distorting the peaks, or using a compressor, which I really don't want to do since I'd lose dynamic range.

I know librivox sets 89 as the official target, but in my experience a lot of commercial audiobook CDs are much quieter than that. As long as all the tracks are the same volume, it really doesn't matter. The listener just turns the volume to an appropriate setting for whatever they're listening to.

Peter
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

That's my problem too - once I compress and amplify, the recording just doesn't sound as nice anymore.

I won't check volume again, but it's not up to me if it's cool to leave the volume at 83/84 dB or not. I'd guess that'll be Barry's call as the MC. :D I just thumbed up the volume on my iPod a couple of notches to listen and it was fine for me. ;)

Looking forward to hearing chapter 2. :D
~Elley

peastman

Post by peastman »

Ok, thanks. Out of curiosity I did a little research into this subject, and found this article: http://www.digido.com/how-to-make-better-recordings-part-2.html. I haven't read all of it yet, but it looks quite interesting. Apparently 83 dB is the standard for movie scores and classical music, while 89 dB is the standard for pop music. There seems to be an ongoing war between recording engineers (who consider 83 dB to be ideal) and music producers (who always want their song to be louder than whatever song was played immediately before it).

Peter
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

We generally tell people to shoot for 89 db so the volume is up for those people who are trying to listen in noisier environments like gyms, commuting, etc. I have even listened while mowing the lawn; I can do that with some readers but not with others. I DPLed Peter's last solo and thought the sound was ok (though not loud enough for lawn mowing). It's your solo, Peter, so if you are happy with that volume level we can go with that.
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
peastman

Post by peastman »

ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

Chapter 2 is PL OK. :D
~Elley