[COMPLETE] Thuvia, Maid of Mars - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chymocles

Post by chymocles » July 16th, 2013, 5:33 pm

Thuvia, Maid of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs (1875 - 1950) .
Volunteers outside the USA: Edgar Rice Burroughs died in 1950. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, and Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955).

This project is now complete! Until the new catalog is launched, all audio files can be found on the Archive page: http://archive.org/details/thuviamaidofmars_1308_librivox
After the new catalog is launched, they will be found on the catalog page:
http://librivox.org/thuvia-maid-of-mars-by-edgar-rice-burroughs-2/

John Carter's son, Carthoris, falls in love with his father's true friend, Thuvia of Ptarth, but she has been promised to another and is kidnapped by a third! Carthoris, suspected of the crime, spends the entire novel in efforts to rescue her and (despite his desire for her) to restore her to her fiancé. Thuvia, meanwhile, wrestles with suspicion that Carthoris was her original abductor and with her own guilty wish for such to have been the case. The adventures introduce to us a philosophical system or fringe science that challenges our conception of the nature of reality itself. (Summary by Thomas Copeland)
  • Target completion date: 2013-Sep-01
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/72
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Thuvia, Maid of Mars . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " Thuvia, Maid of Mars , by Edgar Rice Burroughs . [Chapter]"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Thuvia, Maid of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Thuvia, Maid of Mars , by Edgar Rice Burroughs . "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    thuviamaidofmars_##_burroughs_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. thuviamaidofmars_01_burroughs_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Edgar Rice Burroughs
    Album: Thuvia, Maid of Mars

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://dev.librivox.org/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by chymocles on August 14th, 2013, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » July 16th, 2013, 6:02 pm

Did you see the announcement thread at the top of the screen, Tom? viewtopic.php?f=28&t=47531

You can start recording this if you like, but it will be easier for you later on if it's not set up until the new system is launched. :)
Christmas Lore: LINK
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries

ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat » July 18th, 2013, 7:52 am

I'd be interested in DPLing this for you, when you get going and if you don't already have someone. :)
~Elley

I've had a death in the family and won't be around Librivox much for the next while. I'll be back ... when I'm back. I appreciate your patience in the meanwhile. :)

chymocles

Post by chymocles » July 18th, 2013, 8:55 am

I understand the situation, and I will not upload anything until the new system is up and running. When I do start, I would be happy to have your help, Elley.

Tom

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » July 18th, 2013, 9:24 am

Okay, sounds good. I'll put a "hold" note in the title, and we'll leave this in the Launch Pad until we're ready.

In the meantime, you can still record the sections. Then when we launch, you can upload the files right away. :)

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 12th, 2013, 7:23 pm

I will make the MW for this tomorrow. In the meantime, be sure to study up on how to use the new MW. Especially, read how to log in for the first time.

If you prefer videos, here are some hot off the press:
Magic Windows / Section Compiler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOP4tcr1kl8
Uploader: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKfdg8Xbcw8

The MW one does NOT tell you how to log in for the first time. That is only in the documentation. :)

Note also that the file name requirements have changed. I've edited your first post to reflect this.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 13th, 2013, 6:28 am

You're all set! I'll leave this here for a little bit to make sure you can get into the new MW.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 14th, 2013, 12:12 pm

Per PM communication, you're almost in the MW. 8-) I'll move this to Going Solo now, to keep the Launch Pad tidy.

chymocles

Post by chymocles » August 14th, 2013, 6:11 pm

Wow! What a delight to be able to upload multiple files at once! I've been busy while the site has been under construction. Thuvia is complete. Once the files have been uploaded, I'll set to work on the MW.

Tom

ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat » August 14th, 2013, 8:09 pm

wow Tom! Wish I recorded solos as fast as you, haha. :) I look forward to PLing soon then. ;)
~Elley

I've had a death in the family and won't be around Librivox much for the next while. I'll be back ... when I'm back. I appreciate your patience in the meanwhile. :)

chymocles

Post by chymocles » August 14th, 2013, 8:37 pm

Day one, and already I broke it, Tricia. I was trying to add a note "Ready for PL," which I noticed in the Faerie Queene MW, but when I clicked on the X in the spot where I thought that note belonged, the first section of the novel disappeared. I had to do it twice to see what was happening, so now Chapter 2 is gone as well. I am sorry to report that you will have some repairs to make as a result of my unsupervised amateur brain surgery.

Elley, I guess you'll just have to wait a bit. You could always start with the glossary, I suppose.

Tom

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 15th, 2013, 5:37 am

Just refresh the page - they'll come back. Only MC's can permanently delete sections. :)

chymocles

Post by chymocles » August 15th, 2013, 10:09 am

Thanks, no harm done, then.

Tom

ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat » August 15th, 2013, 11:17 am

Chapter 1 PL Notes:
Cuts off at 9:50 (end of file) suddenly. As the MW lists the run time as 22:41, I think there was something wrong with the upload. Can you check this out, Tom? File is PL OK up to 09:50. :)
~Elley

chymocles

Post by chymocles » August 15th, 2013, 4:40 pm

You're right. Audacity lopped off the second half somehow. Well, I'm redoing it and will upload a whole file in a moment. Chapter 2 seems to be all there.

Tom