[COMPLETE] The House of the White Shadows by B.L. Farjeon

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Roger

Post by Roger »

The House of the White Shadows by B.L. Farjeon (1838 - 1903) .

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-house-of-the-white-shadows-by-b-j-farjeon/
Is a defense attorney bound to defend his client, or with his conscience, when he knows that the man he is defending is guilty of the charges against him after the trial has already commenced? And if friends hold a belief that he may have been aware of it before the trial commenced, yet they are endeared to the man and his family as upstanding and of the highest grade? Might it not become cause for blackmail, and therefore potential retribution? "The House of White Shadows" brings these issues to the forefront, while the reader learns of the background of the advocate, his family history, and the house in question. The characters in the story, the history of the house, the truth behind the white shadows are all woven together in a fascinating manner to be brought to fruition as the books progress with dramatic insight and understanding.

Mr. Farjeon's style is remarkable for its vivid realism. The London "Athenæum" in a long and appreciative review styles him "a master of realistic fiction." On account of his sentiment and minute characterization he is regarded as a follower of the method of Dickens. No writer since that master can picture like Farjeon the touching and pathetic type of innocent childhood, pure in spite of miserable and squalid surroundings. He can paint, too, a scene of sombre horror so vividly that even Dickens himself could scarcely emulate its realism. (Summary from preface and by Roger Melin)
  • Target completion date: 2013-Dec-12
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/42973
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    [size70]===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Farjeon
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): n/a
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 32
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: no
    • Original publication date (if known): 1904
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
      Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================[/size]

Genres for the project:
    horror, fiction, mystery

Keywords that describe the book:
    (to be provided)
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The House of the White Shadows . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The House of the White Shadows , by B.L. Farjeon . [Chapter]"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The House of the White Shadows by B.L. Farjeon . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The House of the White Shadows , by B.L. Farjeon . "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    houseofthewhiteshadows_##_farjeon.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. houseofthewhiteshadows_01_farjeon.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: B.L. Farjeon
    Album: The House of the White Shadows

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: dl - aradlaw
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by Roger on October 3rd, 2013, 5:17 am, edited 8 times in total.
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
Roger

Post by Roger »

lvictoria has agreed to DPL this project. Summary and keywords will follow at a later time. Thanks! :)
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

I'll set this one up for you Roger.

... all set, let me know if you need anything.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thanks for setting this up for us. My only comments at this point are that a more detailed summary will be made at some point,
and that the keywords will be added at some point. Perhaps you can hold off until the end before including these? Thanks! :)
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Sure can, moving over to Going Solo now.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Checking in and looking forward to listening!! :)
Laura
Roger

Post by Roger »

The first section has been uploaded (although it seemed to take an abnormally long time to upload).
Thanks, and enjoy! :)
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Well, Mr. Melin, you have picked another really interesting book to read. I like this author's use of language and I'm looking forward to finding out more about the characters we've been introduced to so far.

I've found uploads and downloads slow lately, but I just assumed it was on my end. Since you mention it being slow for you, maybe not. I had to try three times before I could get my last section to upload the other day and it was a very short file.

Section 1 is PL OK!! :)
Laura
Roger

Post by Roger »

I have been reading ahead on this one, and I think you'll find that it really is an intriguing story, excellent in its character development, and quite well written. I can't stop reading it enough to record it! :)
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Roger wrote:I can't stop reading it enough to record it! :)
...should I start drumming my fingers on the table... :lol:
Laura
Roger

Post by Roger »

Section 2 has been posted.
Thanks! (No, I wouldn't start drumming fingers if I were you. This is a long book!) :)

EDIT - I will re-upload this at some point, as the intro should be "chapters 4 and 5", which I shortened too much.
I will let you know when it's fixed.

EDIT AGAIN - Okay, file has been re-uploaded. Sorry for the inconvenience, in case you had already downloaded the file.
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Wow! The layers in this book are quite intriguing. I see what you mean about it being hard to put down.

I had downloaded the first file but you fixed before I could say anything...sooo...Section 2 is PL OK!! :D
Laura
Roger

Post by Roger »

Section 3 has been posted. More interesting stuff, in my opinion.
Thanks! :)
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Definitely more interesting stuff and it leaves one pondering, trying to piece it together. Those dreams especially...

@31:40 "Too fair! too fair! If I were rich she might tempt me to be false to one, and make me vow I would lay down my life for her."-- "be" is missing
Laura
Roger

Post by Roger »

Good catch! Section 3 patched and re-uploaded.
Thanks! :)