COMPLETE [COOKERY] Guide to Modern Cookery 1 - Escoffier- rg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ccfpcl

Post by ccfpcl »

A Guide to Modern Cookery (Le Guide Culinaire), Part 1 by Auguste Escoffier (1946 - 1935). Translated by James B Herndon Jr (Unknown dates).

This project is now complete. All audio files may be found on our catalogue page: http://librivox.org/guide-to-modern-cookery-1-by-auguste-escoffier/
Le Guide Culinaire can be regarded as the ‘Bible’ of modern cooking. It was Escoffier's attempt to codify and streamline the French restaurant food of the day. The original text was printed for the use of professional chefs and kitchen staff; Escoffier's introduction to the first edition explains his intention that the book be used toward the education of the younger generation of cooks. This usage of the book still holds today; many culinary schools still use it as their core textbook. The book overall is 900 pages long and contains over 2500 recipes. Part 1 is 120 pages long and describes the basic principles and techniques required for the chef, including descriptions of more than 250 recipes and preparations (Summary by Wikipedia and Chris Cartwright)
Volunteers outside the USA: Escoffier died in 1935. However we don’t have a definite date of death for the translator James B Herndon Jr. Since there are references to his translated works back as far as 1838, it is almost certain that he died before 1942, and thus that this translation is in the public domain in Europe. However we cannot guarantee that this is the case.
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://archive.org/details/cu31924000610117
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please note that whilst this is an English translation, there are still many French words and phrases in the text, mostly referring to various dishes or techniques. There are too many to offer a pronunciation guide. Please take this into consideration before volunteering!

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project:
    cookery
    Keywords that describe the book:
    cooking cookery gastronomy cuisine kitchen
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430
    Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of A Guide to Modern Cookery Part 1. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " A Guide to Modern Cookery Part 1, by Auguste Escoffier. Translated by James B Herndon Jr [Chapter]"

During the recording, please record the section numbers in the text - e.g. "116 - Fennel Sauce"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section [number]]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of A Guide to Modern Cookery (Le Guide Culinaire) Part 1, by Auguste Escoffier. Translated by James B Herndon Jr "

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!
    Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    guideculinaire_##_escoffier.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. guideculinaire_01_escoffier.mp3)
    ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Auguste Escoffier
    Album: A Guide to Modern Cookery (Le Guide Culinaire) Part 1
    Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader. Please note, the uploader has changed to:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ruthieg - RuthieG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by ccfpcl on August 31st, 2013, 1:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

All right, we are now set up. I have made some slight changes, though.

The title is A Guide to Modern Cookery. The original French title can be included in the heading, and also in the catalogue, so I have made the catalogue title A Guide to Modern Cookery (Le Guide Culinaire) Part I: Fundamental Elements, so that it will be found on a search for either title.

I have changed the source text to the Internet Archive one, rather than the Open Library entry for the work.

Are you going to need 20 sections? (I don't see any particularly long chapters.) Do you want the glossary included with the Preface? It may be a good idea to note yea or nay in the Notes part of that section in the Magic Window.

I have put the first couple of track titles in the Magic Window. It is up to you how much you include in the title, but please retain the leading two digit number, as some players sort files by track title, instead of track number.

I will shortly PM you login details and basic instructions for using the Magic Window. Your login user name and password will, for the moment, be temporary ones, for use with this project only. (Reason is that we have a technical problem with newer people, which will only be resolved when our new software comes on stream.)

Any questions, you know where to come :).

EDITED TO ADD: We will just hang around on the Launch Pad for a day or two for people to see that the project exists, and also hopefully to snag a proof-listener. Then we will move off to Readers Wanted.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Please may I claim Section 03, The Leading Warm Sauces?

Ruth
ccfpcl

Post by ccfpcl »

Of course you may Ruth, but you'll have to bear with me while I figure out what to do to make it so!
ccfpcl

Post by ccfpcl »

Think that's got it.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Section 03 uploaded.

Upload URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/guideculinaire_03_escoffier.mp3
Duration: 24:12
Size: 22.1 MB

When we come to finding a proof-listener, you will need to decide whether to ask the proof-listener to check the volume, background noise, and technical specs of the file, or whether you will do this yourself. It is particularly important for a group project, I think, to have reasonably consistent volume and audio quality throughout the book.

Ruth
smijen

Post by smijen »

Hi Chris,

May I DPL? I don't get a lot of LV time during the week, so chapters may accumulate until the weekend. If that's OK with you, please sign me up!

I'd be happy to check tech specs as well.
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
ccfpcl

Post by ccfpcl »

Hi Sarah

Pleased to meet you.

That would be brilliant - thank you!

I'm not sure how fast this is going to go - I'm sure weekends only will be just fine! :D

Cheers, Chris.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Sarah added as DPL.

Hint of the day: it is very easy to see only the most recent post, and miss a previous one, if they come close together ;).

^
|
|

Ruth
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

OK. Moving over to Readers Wanted to await the flood of volunteers :lol:.

Ruth
ccfpcl

Post by ccfpcl »

OK I'll prepare to duck! :)
smijen

Post by smijen »

Section 3 is PL OK!
ccfpcl

Post by ccfpcl »

Thanks Sarah. Let's hope it's not the only one you have to do! :)

Chris.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Well, you're going to record four of them, Chris :lol:. If you get desperate, I will try and record another when I have other commitments under control.

Ruth
smijen

Post by smijen »

It may go in fits and spurts. We do have a lot of "competition" in the Readers Wanted forum these days, but not to worry. I did a very long cookbook (Mrs. Beeton's) years ago and I think it took over a year to complete, but just keep plugging along and it will get done. :)