[COMPLETE] Paul Morphy the Chess Champion by F. Edge - ava

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Ava,

I'm a sucker for "help" advertisements, so will you please put me in for the Staunton affair sections?

MaryAnn
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Wow, cool, thanks Mary-Ann! 8-)
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
dread

Post by dread »

I'm back sooner than I expected.

-- Bill (dread)
The range of literature is as wide as humanity. It touches every feeling, every hope, every craving of the human heart. -- David Jordan
dread

Post by dread »

Hi John,

I spot-checked Section 12. All corrections are fine except the one at 2:08 (you have much). That one still needs fixing, including the dead air space added during your first correction.

-- Bill
The range of literature is as wide as humanity. It touches every feeling, every hope, every craving of the human heart. -- David Jordan
dread

Post by dread »

Hi John,

You did a great job fixing problems in Section 13. Only one glitch to fix.

Toward the very end you say, "one of the best French players (dead air space missing some text) when they hoped to see fun." Not sure what happened. Probably just an oversight. Strange things happen with those delete keys. :)

I forgot to mention one thing. When you have a fair number of fixes, it helps to start at the end and work back. Then your time stamps remain accurate. Otherwise they get off. For this recording it wasn't bad at all. But sometimes readers and PLers get lost trying to locate fix areas.

Overall, AOK.

-- Bill
dread

Post by dread »

Section 16 is PL OK. :thumbs:

-- Bill
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks MaryAnn! :9:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
dread

Post by dread »

Section 08 is very smoothly handled. :clap: Just one piece of nitpicking.

4:48
Inserted of
"in a set [of] contest at"

-- Bill
Animite

Post by Animite »

Here are the links for sections 4 and 5:

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/morphychesschampion_04_edge_128kb.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/morphychesschampion_05_edge_128kb.mp3

The duration of section 4 is 27:41. Section 5 runs at 27:50. A mere 9 second difference between them.

As per the norm, if there are problems in the PL process, please let me know. These sections were both rather long, so I would be surprised if there weren't at least a few problems to correct.
Animite

Post by Animite »

Oh, there is one thing I wanted to mention about sections 4 and 5. The break between these sections occurs at the middle of a sentence. This is odd considering part of the sentence is a subheading for the chapter, but that's the way it is. I tackled this problem by ending section 4 as outlined. For section 5, I recorded the entire sentence. If I need to fix this, please let me know.
Animite

Post by Animite »

Hey, why stop a good thing? I'll take care of sections 6 and 7, if I could.

I love this book! :) :D
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Okay, wait... first things first:

1) Thanks for your sections!

2) I'm sorry about the confusion, I didn't even notice there was an issue with that heading... Actually, the thing runs:
It was resolved to style the association THE WESTMINSTER CLUB,and Captain Medwin was elected the first president.
---------
We are upon classic ground.
Please read until "first president" in section 4, and from "we are upon classic ground." in section 5. I think this makes most sense. Sorry for confusing you.

3) I'm glad you're enjoying the book - sections 6 and 7 are yours too!

Please notice - everyone! - that I'm kinda sorta tryna to get this book into the catalog before June 1st, so we have a nice "mental sports" entry for next month's staff picks, the theme of which is "sports" :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Animite

Post by Animite »

2) I'm sorry about the confusion, I didn't even notice there was an issue with that heading... Actually, the thing runs:

Quote:
It was resolved to style the association THE WESTMINSTER CLUB,and Captain Medwin was elected the first president.
---------
We are upon classic ground.

Please read until "first president" in section 4, and from "we are upon classic ground." in section 5. I think this makes most sense. Sorry for confusing you.
Sounds good. I will apply those changes and repost the sections.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

dread wrote:Section 08 is very smoothly handled. :clap: Just one piece of nitpicking.

4:48
Inserted of
"in a set [of] contest at"

-- Bill
Corrected 8 uploaded.

Also . . .
09 - 28.21 - https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/morphychesschampion_09_edge_128kb.mp3
10 - 23.56 - https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/morphychesschampion_10_edge_128kb.mp3

Wow, these chess players are an intense bunch!

MaryAnn