COMPLETE The Modern Scottish Minstrel by Charles Rogers -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Chairlie

Post by Chairlie »

The Modern Scottish Minstrel Vol. 1 by Charles Rogers (1825 - 1890) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/the-modern-scottish-minstrel-by-charles-rogers/
Subtitled "Songs of Scotland of the Past Half-Century, with Memoirs of the Poets, and Sketches and Specimens in English Verse of the Most Celebrated Modern Gaelic Bards." (Summary by Chairlie)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/22515
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Modern Scottish Minstrel. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Modern Scottish Minstrel, by Charles Rogers. [Chapter]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Modern Scottish Minstrel, by Charles Rogers. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    modernscottishminstrel_##_rogers_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. modernscottishminstrel_01_rogers_128kb.mp3)
  9. Example ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Charles Rogers
    Album: The Modern Scottish Minstrel Vol. 1

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Carolin
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
[/list]
Cha shoirbh triubhas a chur air cat - it's not easy to put trews on a cat
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hi chairlie, i can mc this for you.

ill go make us a magic window..
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

done! let me know if you need more sections than this.

i will send you a password for the magic window right away.

i see that a bunch of the poems could also be sung. you can read them or sing them to the prescribed tune, both is great. just please dont use background music unless you feel you absolutely need to, and check back with me about the source you will use beforehand :)

i think that we only need a dpl now :)
Carolin
fink

Post by fink »

Hi,
I`d really love to DPL this project.
Please :)
Joseph
Chairlie

Post by Chairlie »

Hooray! Carolin!
And hooray for magic windows : )

I have a couple of questions now, but may have some more later when I begin to understand how this works ...
1.) I put 29 in the # of sections list because there were 29 authors, but unfortunately each author has a very different length section attributed to him, so I'm not quite sure how to divide this up ... Should I perhaps just read for half an hour and call that the end of a section? (provided of course that it makes logical sense).
2.) Do I need to read out the table of contents and/or the glossary at the end?

That's it for now, I think.
More later : )
Chairlie
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hi chairlie,

you can divide up the number of sections as you like. we only limit you with a 72 minute file length, because that is about as much as you can burn on an audio cd and we would like to keep that possibility open for our listeners.
i scanned the text and i think that the poems are long enough to be in separate sections, if you like. then you will need a bunch more sections. otherwise you can also group some poems together into a section. it is really up to you :)

secondly, no need to read the table of contents and the glossary. both are usually not much use to a listener of an audio book :)

let me know if you need anything else or if anything is unclear :)
Carolin
Chairlie

Post by Chairlie »

Hi Joseph : )
I am assuming that it is Carolin who manages this, but if for some reason it is me (I still have a bit to learn about solo projects) then please by all means! You certainly sound sufficiently enthusiastic and not at all like a fink. :wink:
All the best,
Chairlie
Chairlie

Post by Chairlie »

Hey Carolin,
Thanks for the answers on my questions ... your prize is ... more questions!

1.) I'm not quite sure how to incorporate the footnotes, as they often occur in the middle of a verse/song. Do I have to interrupt the poem every time, or can I record the footnotes at the end of each?
2.) I haven't yet decided about singing some vs. speaking, but if I do sing some, is it ok to pick and choose which ones, or ought it to be all or nothing?
3.) Also, I thought it might be worthwhile to read the frontispiece before the preface - sound ok?

Thx
Chairlie, (the gradually less befuddled.)
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hi chairlie,

please, ask me everything that seems unclear. i am glad to help :)
i give the dpl magic window access, but it is your project, so i waited until you answered. joseph is now on board - welcome to this project!

answering your questions:

1. footnotes are tricky. if you read them at the end of the poem, they might not make sense. if you read them in the middle of the poem, the metric is gone. there is often no right way to do it. if you want, you can leave them out altogether (or select which ones you want to read). try out the different options and pick the one that you feel most comfortable with.
2. you can choose each time. if you sing, please stick to the prescribed tune, as we can be sure it is public domain (tunes can be copyrighted too).
3. if you want, feel free to read the frontispiece. i see there is some extra info in it, and it will fit well with the preface. so no problem.

the first solo is a bit of a challenge, most of us struggle a bit with how to do it best, but ultimately, you learn by doing. so feel free to plunge in, and ask all questions that occur to you along the way :)
Carolin
Chairlie

Post by Chairlie »

Carolin

Post by Carolin »

great, lets move over to going solo :)
Carolin
fink

Post by fink »

Preface PL OK!
That was the easy one :clap:
Joseph :wink:
Chairlie

Post by Chairlie »

Hooray : )
Here's Section 1 then ...

Time: 25:05
Space: 24.1MB

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ck/modernscottishminstrel_01_rogers.mp3

Chairlie
Chairlie

Post by Chairlie »

Hey Carolin,
Just wondering about music copyright and how to know when a piece is copyrighted or not?
I was thinking of singing this one in the next section, and have found the music here:

http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=thesession.org/tunes/9768.no-ext/0001

Does this look ok?
Thx
Chairlie
fink

Post by fink »

Hi Charlie,here the PL for Section 1.

8:05
"What signifies 't for folks to chide" - a wee stumble here

22:16
Text - I left the girl, and tuned my pipe
You say - I left the girl, and turned my pipe.

Apart from the above a wonderful reading and a pleasure to listen to :thumbs:
Joseph