COMPLETE [Group] Half-Past Bedtime by H.H Bashford - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

hallejk wrote: Thanks I just got it! One random question, I'm okay for now because I can use safari, but on google chrome I had auto sign in on for accessing MW's and I have absolutely no idea how to change that info. Any ideas? It's fine if you don't because like I said I can use a different browser, but in the future it might be easier if I could just use my main browser.
You should be able to enter the new info once Chrome fills in the old, it will probably ask if you want the new info saved.
I see we are pretty well set up - so I'll move this project over to Readers Wanted. :D
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
hallejk

Post by hallejk »

aradlaw wrote:
hallejk wrote: Thanks I just got it! One random question, I'm okay for now because I can use safari, but on google chrome I had auto sign in on for accessing MW's and I have absolutely no idea how to change that info. Any ideas? It's fine if you don't because like I said I can use a different browser, but in the future it might be easier if I could just use my main browser.
You should be able to enter the new info once Chrome fills in the old, it will probably ask if you want the new info saved.
I see we are pretty well set up - so I'll move this project over to Readers Wanted. :D

Whoohoo! Thanks for the help, the problem is that it since I checked auto-sign in on the drop down and so it doesn't come down anymore(like on LV, if you have auto sign-in on it doesn't even require going to the sign-in page). I'm totally fine though, it's easy to just use safari or firefox when I'm working on LV stuff.
Halle Kill
I'm going to be away from LV for a while. I have had some serious family things come up and LV is to much at the moment.
BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

May I read Section 1 & 14 please?
I did solo on A Son of the Middle Border, and managed the MC window as well when I recorded from 23 to 35 of 35 chapters. And lately, The Tale of Henrietta Hen, 18 to 24 of 24 sections except 22.
hallejk

Post by hallejk »

BooBoo wrote:May I read Section 1 & 14 please?
I did solo on A Son of the Middle Border, and managed the MC window as well when I recorded from 23 to 35 of 35 chapters. And lately, The Tale of Henrietta Hen, 18 to 24 of 24 sections except 22.
All yours! Thanks for claiming!
Halle Kill
I'm going to be away from LV for a while. I have had some serious family things come up and LV is to much at the moment.
francesb

Post by francesb »

Voici que vous allez ! Chapitre Deux ! :D

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/dl/halfpastbedtime_02_bashford.mp3
Duration: 17:48
Frances Brown
“Maybe our favorite quotations say more about us than about the stories and people we're quoting" -John Green
hallejk

Post by hallejk »

francesb wrote:Voici que vous allez ! Chapitre Deux ! :D

Merci beaucoup, je vais le mettre dans le MW pour l'écoute de la preuve.
Our proof-listener, Sarah, will PL it as soon as she can.
Halle Kill
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

francesb wrote:Voici que vous allez ! Chapitre Deux ! :D

It sounds like someone is doing dishes in the background or something. It seemed pretty distracting to me. Halle, can you listen to the first few minutes of this and advise if you think this is OK, or should be redone? It's possible I'm just being too picky...

I've noted the biggest/most distracting sounds below.
00:08 thump
00:16 clatter
02:22-02:26 lots of thumping and someone talking in the background
02:50 big thump
02:53-02:58
03:53 thump
04:54 clank
05:07 clunk
05:46 door closing
05:59 clang
06:12 clack
06:38 thunk
07:37-07:47 clatter clatter clank
08:84 clunk

09:32-09:37 error noted with a clap, missed editing out
11:04 thud
14:30 thunk

I don't think it's going to be very possible to edit some of these sounds out... Maybe clean up as many as you can, and think of what caused these sounds and try avoid them when recording. I tried doing a noise removal on this, but it made the rest of the recording sound terribly distorted. I'd hate to say you need to re-record the whole thing, as you did a GREAT job reading, it's just all the background noises... Let's see what Halle has to say, eh?
~Elley

I've had a death in the family and won't be around Librivox much for the next while. I'll be back ... when I'm back. I appreciate your patience in the meanwhile. :)
hallejk

Post by hallejk »

Girls,
I listened to the first five minutes of the recording twice on my iPhone. Once with my phone held on my lap and once while I had headphones in. The first time, when it was on my lap, I didn't notice anything at all. The second time, through my headphones, I heard them faintly. Now Frances, I know how annoying it can be to have to re-record 17 minutes of recording, and Sarah, I know how annoying it can be to listen to 17 minutes of recording again... So here is what i'm thinking. Frances, can you go through your recording and edit out the clapping and any bits of background noise you can? Then re-upload under the same file name and Sarah can listen to it again. Hopefully that'll get rid of most of the big background noises and all the others are so faint that it probably won't matter to much. Below I made a list of what needs to be edited out in order for it to be OK.
9:32-9:37 error noted with a clap, missed editing out
7:37-7:47 - clatter clatter clank
5:46 - door closing
2:22-2:26 thumping and talking in background

If you can get those out then it can be marked PL OK, if not than you'll have to re-record(sadly). If you'd prefer to just re-record instead that'd be fine too :)
Tip: For edits when talking try re-recording the sentence the background noise is in and then just copy and pasting into the main recording.
Halle Kill
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

ElleyKat wrote:... I tried doing a noise removal on this, but it made the rest of the recording sound terribly distorted.
What noise removal settings are you using Elley and which part of the file did you take a Noise Sample from ?
The values I use are 10, 0.16, 150, 0.15 in order down the value list in Audacity Noise Removal. Of course if you need a bit more noise removal, always take a new Noise Sample before the second NR pass. :wink:

I agree with Halle's advice, Frances - just do the simple edits she has suggested.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
tolfab

Post by tolfab »

Would be awesome if I could read one of these. But this annoying EU copyright >_>
I will follow the progress. I wish you good luck with this project :)
Schums

Post by Schums »

Please can I volunteer for sections 3 and 7?
hallejk

Post by hallejk »

Schums wrote:Please can I volunteer for sections 3 and 7?

Hi Schums! Below is all the info I gave you from my other book, I just need how you would like to be credited in the catalog so that I can enter you into the MW(magic window) :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Before you start recording, we do ask that you do a 1 Minute Test, you can find all the information for that in the Wiki, and I believe there is a link for it in your welcome email as well :)

Once your test has been approved: Make sure to read the first post - all the info you need is there but if anything doesn't make sense, just ask. The wiki has lots of good info (link at the top of any page) if you run into difficulties; also one of our admins has developed some very helpful videos if you are more of a visual person: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33439

Once you have uploaded your file, post the link here (together with the time in mm:ss e.g. 11:23) and Sarah, our DPL will proof-listen and give you feedback. Fixes are usually fairly straightforward. Then after that you can sign up for as many sections as you wish (the only restriction being how many you can complete in a 2 month period).

How would you liked to be entered into the catalog? You can use your name, username, nickname....etc.... We can also add a URL to a personal website or blog.

Have fun!
Halle
Halle Kill
Schums

Post by Schums »

Thanks Halle, I'll do my 1-minute test tomorrow. Please credit me as Schums.
hallejk

Post by hallejk »

Schums wrote:Thanks Halle, I'll do my 1-minute test tomorrow. Please credit me as Schums.
Thanks! I've put you into the MW, and entered you into the catalog. Here is your page: https://catalog.librivox.org/people_public.php?peopleid=8424. I suggest bookmarking it, as its a handy way to keep track of what you've signed up for. Again, welcome to LibriVox! It's great to have you here!
Halle Kill
hallejk

Post by hallejk »

Let me know if you have any other questions about recording! It's been great talking to you over PM!
Halle Kill