[COMPLETE] A Divine Cordial by Thomas Watson-tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Peppersnoodles93

Post by Peppersnoodles93 »

A Divine Cordial by Thomas Watson (1620 - 1686) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/a-divine-cordial-by-thomas-watson/
The question that lingers on so many people mind's is, "Why does God allow bad things to happen to good people." This book uses Romans 8: “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.” as the main verse to answer this question. God can see the big picture, whereas we have only a small perspective. To us, suffering means something that just brings pain, but God who created us and loves us sees how painful experiences can grow us to be more Christlike and ultimately to be closer drawn to Him. (Summary by peppersnoodles93)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.ccel.org/ccel/watson/cordial.html
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    *note* Since we have a split chapter. Please make sure you are saying the correct chapter number. After the spilt the section/chapter number do not match. So it may be section 10, but it's going to be chapter 9.

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of A Divine Cordial. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " A Divine Cordial , by Thomas Watson . [Chapter]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of A Divine Cordial , by Thomas Watson . "

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    divinecordial_##_watson.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. divinecordial_01_watson.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Thomas Watson
    Album: A Divine Cordial

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: tg - TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
I am going to be the DPL as well.
Last edited by Peppersnoodles93 on April 29th, 2013, 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Kim
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I cataloged a project today, so I'll take on this one.

The ccel.org description will have to be changed before cataloging, since that wouldn't be a PD source. :)

Otherwise, I think you're set! If there's a PL problem with section 1, we might be able to edit it ourselves, depending on the problem. We'll see.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Peppersnoodles93

HI Tricia,
Not sure if your the joking type, but for laughs sake I have to say... I *knew* you really really loved me! to be chosen by an MC... *sigh*.... :D Haha...I'm just kidding! But I must say for real, I am so thankful you decided to take me on! I appreciate it...This *should* keep me busy now... :)Image
Ok, I can write a new description if you like. I really liked the way they said it (thought it better than the other) so I can paraphrase. Did you see where I said I wanted to be the DPL as well? :) (If that's alright, I'd love to listen to it)

I'll also add the word counts and PL that file. Thank you SO much! :D :mrgreen:
~Kim
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It's kinda like getting the rose on The Bachelor, eh? :lol: (I think I've watched maybe one episode of all the seasons of that show, but I at least know THAT much about it.)

Yes - after I posted, I saw you wanted to be DPL, so I snuck you in. Did I forget to take the tilde out of the subject line? Oops. Well, if I forget something like that, feel free to do it yourself. ;) (In future, you could post the "I want to DPL this, too" up by the type of PL requested. I think it's more visible there for MC's.)
Peppersnoodles93

Thanks! Haha. I haven't seen it, but I can imagine. :) :) No problem! Sure, I can do that....you *know* that I *do* enjoy keeping busy.... :) I guess I should tell you this in a PM but oh well I'm ready typing. If at anytime you are needing someone to PL, record or whatever you think I can help with, please *please* do ask. I love to help out with stuff like that...just ask Phil, I've already asked him twice if there was something he needed Pled. :D You guys are awesome! :mrgreen:

Thanks!

Edit: three cheers for hitting post 300!
~Kim
Peppersnoodles93

Word counts + new summary = done! :):)
~Kim
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving to Readers Wanted. :)
Peppersnoodles93

Thanks Tricia, I relistened to the 00 and that is PL OK... The 01 has some things...mostly it has clicks all throughout the whole thing. If I were to edit, I would go through the whole thing and check for clicks and weird breath things. Needs some light clean up.

I can edit next week if needed.
Thanks
~Kim
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, sounds good.
Peppersnoodles93

Chapter 1 is now edited and PL OK!
~Kim
Peppersnoodles93

I'm going to claim the last section here. :) This project is getting soooo over looked. Thought I could drum up some action :)
~Kim
Peppersnoodles93

Hey Tricia, for my last section here, I said "Chapter 10 of A Divine Cordial." I don't think it's chapter ten though because we have that split, so should I say "Section 10" or "Chapter 9." :)
~Kim
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Either all readers could say "section [#]" and then the chapter # wouldn't matter, or the readers who read the split chapter say "Chapter [#] part [#]".

What did the original reader say? If she said "Chapter," then I think use chapters.
Peppersnoodles93

HI Tricia, Ok the original reader says chapter. But if the people after the split say chapter than we'll have to add the extra about the section to help make that more clear right? If so, I'm inclined to change it just to say (non split sections) "Section 10 of the Divine Cordial" and skip the chapter part, so that we don't have to add the extra sentence. The split chapter would say "Section # Chapter # Part #).... That's my thoughts, but what would you advise me to do?
~Kim
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

But if the people after the split say chapter than we'll have to add the extra about the section to help make that more clear right?
Not necessarily. You could skip saying Section altogether.

Chapter 8
Chapter 9 part 1
Chapter 9 part 2
Chapter 10
Chapter 11...

The number in the file name wouldn't match the chapter number, but that's OK.