COMPLETE: A series of lessons in Raja Yoga - choc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
UdaySagar

Post by UdaySagar »

A Series of Lessons in Raja Yoga, by Yogi Ramacharaka (William Walker Atkinson) (1862-1932)

This project is complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/a-series-of-lessons-in-raja-yoga-by-william-walker-atkinson/

The Book talks on the internal world of the self. The real nature of the subconscious mind, the way to control it, how ego comes into play and most frequently asked questions like "Who am I" are attempted to answer. (Summary by Uday Sagar.)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/13656
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project:
    ancient-texts, classics-antiquity, literature, philosophy, psychology, religion

Keywords that describe the book:
    yoga, raja yoga, mind, ego
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of A Series of Lessons in Raja Yoga. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " A SERIES OF LESSONS IN RAJA YOGA , by YOGI RAMACHARAKA . [Chapter]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of A SERIES OF LESSONS IN RAJA YOGA , by YOGI RAMACHARAKA . "

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    rajayoga_##_ramacharaka.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. rajayoga_01_ramacharaka.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Yogi Ramacharaka
    Album: A Series of Lessons in Raja Yoga

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: chocoholic
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
A desire satisfied is but the seed from which springs the desire to find like satisfaction again.
The fire is not quenched by pouring oil on it; so desire is not quenched by the satisfaction of desire.

More at Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I'll MC this, Uday. Back in a bit with your MW.

You can shorten the file name even further if you like; rajayoga_##_ramacharaka.mp3 would be fine. The author was a busy fellow, wasn't he? How many pseudonyms does one man need? haha. I'll enter both his real name and pseudonym in the database so that he will be searchable under either name.
Laurie Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

All set now. I changed the text link to the main page for this book (needed so readers can choose the format they prefer). Let me know if you need anything else!
Laurie Anne
UdaySagar

Post by UdaySagar »

I am okay with rajayoga_##_ramacharaka.mp3 Laurie!
The author was a busy fellow, wasn't he? How many pseudonyms does one man need? haha
At the first sight, I thought those two are different guys. He had put his real name in the Book's title and I was searching for the keyword, william in the rest of the book.
Confusion increased seeing "Author: Yogi Ramacharaka" in the first page! I took atkinson to the translator and thought he might be the disciple of Yogi Ramacharaka!
Later wiki came to my rescue revealing pseudonym!

But the concept of Real Yogi Ramacharaka and Baba Bharatha remains a mystery even after going through this!

Someone should break his record! :lol:
A desire satisfied is but the seed from which springs the desire to find like satisfaction again.
The fire is not quenched by pouring oil on it; so desire is not quenched by the satisfaction of desire.

UdaySagar

Post by UdaySagar »

Laurie, Shall we have the Lesson names(titles) in the magic windows. Moreover, as we don't have distinct links for a particular lesson, shall we create google docs and give those links?

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Yes, lesson names would make sense as section titles as long as there are leading numbers so they will sort correctly. You could enter them one of two ways, depending on how long you want your sections to be. I don't think you will need to make Google docs in either case.

1. One lesson per section. It looks as though each section would be about 40-45 min long this way. Your section titles would be:

01 - The First Lesson
02 - The Second Lesson
etc.
This is how they are named in the body of the text, so each lesson would be easy to find on a search of the Gutenberg text.

2. If you would rather have shorter sections, you will need to find a place to divide each lesson. You can select any dividing point that makes sense to you and indicate it in the Notes field. Titles in this case might be:

01 - The First Lesson, Part 1 (in the Notes field: Beginning to "Rules and Exercises Designed to Aid the Candidate in His Initiation")
02 - The First Lesson, Part 2 (in the Notes field: "Rules and Exercises Designed to Aid the Candidate in His Initiation" to end)

This is just an example of course; I don't know this text at all so I can't say where the best divisions would be or even if it would be a good idea to split up the lessons.

If you decide to go with option 2, I will give you more sections in the MW.
Laurie Anne
ArabellaG2013

Post by ArabellaG2013 »

Hello:

I'd like to read sections 10 and 11. This is a great first project as a Librivox reader, although not my first recording project.

Best,
ArabellaG2013
UdaySagar

Post by UdaySagar »

Welcome ArabellaG2013!

They are yours. :) Have fun recording. :thumbs:

UdaySagar

Post by UdaySagar »

Hi Laurie,

I go for option 2.
Here is the Detailed Lesson Plan! The numbers in the brackets give the word count of the corresponding sections.

01 - The First Lesson, The "I." (2924)
02 - The First Lesson, Rules And Exercises Designed To Aid The Candidate In His Initiation. (3346)
Mantrams (Affirmations) For The First Lesson.

03 - The Second Lesson, The Ego's Mental Tools. (1934)
04 - The Second Lesson, Mental Drill. Part 1 (upto "and do the work before you")(2125)
05 - The Second Lesson, Mental Drill. Part 2 (starting from "And now, back to the Mental Drill.") (2360)
Mantrams (Affirmations) For The Second Lesson.

06 - The Third Lesson, The Expansion Of The Self. (3182)
07 - The Third Lesson, Mental Drill. (3262)
Mantram (Affirmation.)Mantram (Affirmation) For The Third Lesson.

08 - The Fourth Lesson, Mental Control. (2504)
09 - The Fourth Lesson, Mental Drill And Exercises. (3548)
Mantram (Affirmation.)

10 - The Fifth Lesson, The Cultivation Of Attention. Part 1 (upto "that object to the exclusion of others")(1976)
11 - The Fifth Lesson, The Cultivation Of Attention. Part 2 (starting from "The human mind has the power ") (2842)
12 - The Fifth Lesson, Mental Drill In Attention. (1644)
Mantram (Affirmation.)
Mantram (Affirmation.) Repeated. Can We Combine Both Under One Heading?

13 - The Sixth Lesson, Cultivation Of Perception. Part 1 (upto "important part of the work.")(2419)
14 - The Sixth Lesson, Cultivation Of Perception. Part 2 (starting from "A mind without stored-up material ") (2411)
15 - The Sixth Lesson, General Rules Of Perception. (1071)
Mantram (Affirmation.)

16 - The Seventh Lesson, The Unfoldment Of Consciousness. Part 1 (upto "the operation of Mental Consciousness we call Reason")(2397)
17 - The Seventh Lesson, The Unfoldment Of Consciousness. Part 2 (starting from "The Man who has Mental ") (3732)
Mantram (Affirmation.)

18 - The Eighth Lesson, The Highlands And Lowlands Of Mind. Part 1 (upto "unconscious registrations of experience")(2933)
19 - The Eighth Lesson, The Highlands And Lowlands Of Mind. Part 2 (starting from "Many writers have related the process") (2787)
Mantram (Affirmation).

20 - The Ninth Lesson, The Mental Planes. Part 1 (upto "making a steady though slow progress")(3142)
21 - The Ninth Lesson, The Mental Planes. Part 2 (starting from "There is another plane of the mind") (3197)
Mantram (Affirmation).

22 - The Tenth Lesson, Sub-Consciousing. Part 1 (6177) (upto "workings of one's own mentality") (3081)
23 - The Tenth Lesson, Sub-Consciousing. Part 2 (starting from "Each of us has "a friend" in our own mind") (3097)
Mantram (Or Affirmation).

24 - The Eleventh Lesson, Subconscious Character Building, Part 1 (upto "comes from persevering practice")(2961)
25 - The Eleventh Lesson, Subconscious Character Building, Part 2 (starting from "The greater the degree of faith or confident") (3298)

26 - The Twelfth Lesson, Sub-Conscious Influences, Part 1 (upto "in connection with the matter") (3079)
27 - The Twelfth Lesson, Sub-Conscious Influences, Part 2 (starting from "Remember always that YOU are an Individual") (3436)

I thought it would look good if I divide the lessons into sections that contains words with a maximum in the range 3000-4000. Accordingly we get 27 sections if we include "Mantrams(Affirmations)" in the previous sections and it goes to 38 if we take "Mantrams" as a separate section.
What do you feel better, 27 or 38?

I had split the lessons into sections keeping in mind that they should be independent to a certain extent. Can you check Whether the division is okay? Thanks.

Fifth lesson contains "Mantrams(Affirmations)" title repeated. Can we put under one? (do we violate any copyright rules doing so?)

ArabellaG2013

Post by ArabellaG2013 »

hello again:

now that i've read the section breakdown, which doesn't exactly correspond to the 12 lessons as I assumed they might, i'd like to revise/clarify my choices to reflect my original intent to record lessons 10 and 11, which are labeled as follows -- sections 22 through 25, that is, if they're still available. :)

thanks!!

arabellag2013

22 - The Tenth Lesson, Sub-Consciousing. Part 1 (6177) (up to "workings of one's own mentality") (3081)
23 - The Tenth Lesson, Sub-Consciousing. Part 2 (starting from "Each of us has "a friend" in our own mind") (3097)

24 - The Eleventh Lesson, Subconscious Character Building, Part 1 (upto "comes from persevering practice")(2961)
25 - The Eleventh Lesson, Subconscious Character Building, Part 2 (starting from "The greater the degree of faith or confident") (3298)
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Hi, Uday --

Your divisions look good to me. The Mantrams are very short, so I would include them with the other sections. I have given you 27 sections in the MW.

The titles in the Title field will become the ID title tags on the files, so they need to be fairly short in order to show up on small mp3 player screens. All the information about where to start and stop recording, subheadings, etc will need to go into the Notes field. You don't need to be concerned about the repeated Mantrams (Affirmations) subheadings, because that won't be written down anywhere, only spoken by the reader -- and that is OK because it is how it is in the text. If you would like me to enter a couple of titles into the MW so you can see what I'm talking about, I'll be happy to. (I only just realized this is your first group BC project. Exciting! You will do great!)
Laurie Anne
UdaySagar

Post by UdaySagar »

If you would like me to enter a couple of titles into the MW so you can see what I'm talking about, I'll be happy to.
Yes Laurie, I am bit :?

I guess you would enter:

01 - The First Lesson, part 1
02 - The First Lesson, part 2
03 - The Second Lesson, part 1
04 - The Second Lesson, part 2
05 - The Second Lesson, part 3

and so on with remaining fields going to notes. Am I right?

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Yes, exactly right! I have entered the first few -- and I included chapter titles so you could see if you like it better that way. It's not really too long with the titles, but they are not necessary so you can do it either with them or just simply 01 - The First Lesson, part 1. Whichever way you prefer is fine.
Laurie Anne
UdaySagar

Post by UdaySagar »

Laurie, "01 - The First Lesson: The I, part 1" is looking rather redundant (with "First Lesson"), how about "01 - The I, part 1" omitting "First Lesson" as "01" already there for that. I think I am exaggerating a lot on this! But will this look good?

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I was mainly thinking it would be easier for people to find the place in the text that way. "The First Lesson" is in big bold type and "The 'I'" is in much smaller type, so it would not be so obvious to people looking through the text.

Also the section numbers won't match up with the lesson numbers after the first one -- or is that what you meant?
Laurie Anne