[COMPLETE]The Mermaid by Lily Dougall - kd

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

Thanks for the move, Barry. :)
~Elley

I've had a death in the family and won't be around Librivox much for the next while. I'll be back ... when I'm back. I appreciate your patience in the meanwhile. :)
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

An interesting note about the author (from her wikipedia page) and part of why I chose this book:

"Lily Dougall (1858–1923) was a Canadian author and feminist.

Born into an evangelical Presbyterian newspaper family, Dougall’s liberal views often conflicted with her religious upbringing. Although born in Montreal, Quebec, she was educated in New York City and at both the University of Edinburgh and St. Andrew’s University in Scotland. While in Edinburgh, she lived with her aunt. She lived in Montreal from 1897 to 1903 until she finally settled down in Cumnor, near Oxford, in 1911. While there, she lived her life with her lesbian partner, Sophie Earp. In Cumnor, she became the center of a group that was dedicated to thought and conversation. This was similar in its views to that of her first essay, Pro Christo et Ecclesia (1900).

... Her fiction is characterized by twists of fate, disguise, hidden identity and disillusioned love. More noteworthy, however, her work is known for its exploration of religious and philosophical themes. Many of her protagonists are strong, independent females who are typically drawn to the idea of egalitarian marriage."

I find it interesting that she was a young woman at the time feminism really started to take root in Canada and the US.
~Elley

I've had a death in the family and won't be around Librivox much for the next while. I'll be back ... when I'm back. I appreciate your patience in the meanwhile. :)
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

I will take the first 3 sections if you please. :)
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

KiltedDragon wrote:I will take the first 3 sections if you please. :)
Thanks Barry, they're all yours. :D :clap:
~Elley

lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi, ElleyKat--

May I please claim Section 04? :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

lubee930 wrote:Hi, ElleyKat--

May I please claim Section 04? :)
Section 4 is all yours. Thanks Lucretia! :D
~Elley

SeanReads

Post by SeanReads »

I'll read book 1 chapters 5,6,and 7 if that OK :)
Sean Rethmeier
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

SeanReads wrote:I'll read book 1 chapters 5,6,and 7 if that OK :)
Sean - sections 5, 6, & 7 are all yours. :) Thanks!! Let me know if you have any questions or anything. :D
~Elley

lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi again, ElleyKat--

I have a couple of questions for you (or for your assigned readers, if they've already started--or anyone, for that matter!) before I begin recording.

As you probably know, one of the main characters is named Caius Simpson. So I assumed that I should pronounce his name like "KIE-uhs" (rhymes with pious). Then I checked howjsay and forvo--and I found out that an alternate pronunciation for that name is like "Keeze"-- :shock: I would never have guessed. Do you (or your other readers) have a preference?

And are we saying the author's last name like "DOOG-uhl" or like "DUG-uhl"--? Strangely enough, I don't think that I've encountered that last name that I can recall.

What do you think? Thanks for any thoughts on the pronunciation! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

I just finished recording chapters 1 and 2 and I used KIE-uhs (rhymes with pious) and DOOG-uhl. :|
Barry
My Recordings
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

:thumbs:

Sounds good to me, Barry. Unless ElleyKat objects, that is the way I'll do it. (I just didn't want to be the only section that did it differently somehow from everyone else--and there weren't any sections uploaded yet to sneak a "targeted" listen. :) )
Kind regards,
Lucretia
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

KiltedDragon wrote:I just finished recording chapters 1 and 2 and I used KIE-uhs (rhymes with pious) and DOOG-uhl. :|
This is how I've been saying them in my head when reading it. The thought of providing some guidance on the rather odd names never occurred to me, though now it seems obvious that it should have. (It could be because I just read through my solo which was filled with German and French (...I think...) place names and I never want to try to pronounce some bizarre sounding word EVER AGAIN!)

Thanks for asking, Lucretia. ;) :thumbs: And thanks for answering, Barry! :D
~Elley

KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Barry
My Recordings
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

Thank you Barry. Our lovely DPL will be along soon to listen. :)
~Elley

lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

It could be because I just read through my solo which was filled with German and French (...I think...) place names and I never want to try to pronounce some bizarre sounding word EVER AGAIN!
Oh, for sure, ElleyKat--place names and proper names just give me fits! :roll: I check almost everything anymore--even the words that I feel confident that I am pronouncing correctly. And then I'm sometimes embarrassed to find out that I've been mistaken for a long time. But for me, one of the joys of LibriVox continues to be all of the new things that I learn here. :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia