[COMPLETE] On A Donkey's Hurricane Deck, by Woodward-iq

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

maryagneskatherine wrote:May I try Chapters 49 and 55? (Notice I picked the shorter ones...I really quite new to Librivox, but did first PL and found the link below it. After reading the beginning, I couldn't resist asking to be included. I'm smiling already and haven't even looked at the book yet. P-l-e-a-s-e take a chance on me?
maryagneskatherine
Thank you for claiming - short, long, they all have to be recorded 8-)
Lynne
kajo

Post by kajo »

Hi Lynne and readers of the project, I'm very very sorry about my absence from the project. :oops: Since a while, I'm swamped with rl and don't see a better perspective in the next weeks (maybe months) and I feel very bad about the current situation with not being able to give pl feedback promptly. So, I'm afraid what I try to stumble here is, that I can't fulfill my task as the DPLer of the project in the foreseeable future. Please, accept my apologies. Best regards, Kajo
(D)PLer with all my heart: It is a PLeasure for me to listen to the spOKen words of LV readers (in dutch, english, german and latin).
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

kajo wrote:Hi Lynne and readers of the project, I'm very very sorry about my absence from the project. :oops: Since a while, I'm swamped with rl and don't see a better perspective in the next weeks (maybe months) and I feel very bad about the current situation with not being able to give pl feedback promptly. So, I'm afraid what I try to stumble here is, that I can't fulfill my task as the DPLer of the project in the foreseeable future. Please, accept my apologies. Best regards, Kajo
Thank you for letting me know. Hope things settle down for you soon.

Lynne
maryagneskatherine

Post by maryagneskatherine »

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/dl/onadonkeyshurricanedeck_49_woodward.mp3
Time: 09:42
pretty funny chapter! Let me know if I need to correct anything.
Mary
maryagneskatherine
Walter Cronkite was supposed to have said, "Practice the words to restore the fun, chase the worry and make things good again."
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

maryagneskatherine wrote:http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/dl/onadonkeyshurricanedeck_49_woodward.mp3
Time: 09:42
pretty funny chapter! Let me know if I need to correct anything.
Mary
Thank you, Mary. Yes, some of these chapters are very funny; others can be - well not exactly P.C. but reflecting the thinking of the time, which can be difficult for some readers. We have lost our DPL and I'm advertising for a new one, so not sure how long before we have someone to listen and give feedback.

Lynne
sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku »

I'll DPL. :-)
~ Chessie Joy
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

sonnethaiku wrote:I'll DPL. :-)
Thank you, Chessie Joy.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

The DPL has been changed to Chessie Joy!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
maryagneskatherine

Post by maryagneskatherine »

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/iq/onadonkeyshurricanedeck_55_woodward.mp3
I think this is the one with the proper volume. Please PL
maryagneskatherine
maryagneskatherine
Walter Cronkite was supposed to have said, "Practice the words to restore the fun, chase the worry and make things good again."
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

maryagneskatherine wrote:http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/iq/onadonkeyshurricanedeck_55_woodward.mp3
I think this is the one with the proper volume. Please PL
maryagneskatherine
Thank you, Mary. How long is the file please?
lynne
sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku »

Sections 45 and 47 are both PL OK. :thumbs:

One tiny note for section 46.

At 2:28, the text says "there I met my fete" but the reader says "there I met my fate." Can the line be re-recorded to reflect the fact that the narrator met with a huge party instead of with his doom? ;-)
~ Chessie Joy
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

sonnethaiku wrote:Sections 45 and 47 are both PL OK. :thumbs:

One tiny note for section 46.

At 2:28, the text says "there I met my fete" but the reader says "there I met my fate." Can the line be re-recorded to reflect the fact that the narrator met with a huge party instead of with his doom? ;-)
That may be a challenge as 'fete' and 'fate' are homonyms :shock: May be just one of those little jokes a reader would get that a listener may not...
Lynne
sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku »

Ah, so.

I just consulted a dictionary and I see what happened. There are two accepted pronunciations for "fete." I only knew the one which is not a homonym with "fate," but one which is a homonym with "fate" is listed first. (Generally this means it is the more common pronunciation.)

So we're good. Thank you for drawing my attention to it, Lynne. Sorry for any alarm, Victoria.

Section 46 is PL OK! :mrgreen:
~ Chessie Joy
sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku »

Just so you know, I should be caught up PLing for this project by tomorrow evening.
~ Chessie Joy
sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku »

Hi Mary,

Here are my PL notes for section 49. There are only six and most should be easily fixed. If there is any editing you're not sure how to accomplish, there is probably an excellent video already made by Phil we can point you to. :mrgreen:

1) The track overall is registering at 95.3 dB (decibels). We aim for 89 dB but inside 87-91 is still considered an acceptable range in volume. If you could reduce your volume by 5 or 6 dB, that would be wonderful.

2) The ID tags need a little tweaking. According to the first post instructions, they should follow this format:

Title: ## - [Section title]
Artist: Robert Pitcher Woodward
Album: On A Donkey's Hurricane Deck

Right now, the ID tags for this track look like this:

Title: 49
Artist: Robert Titcher Woodward
Album: On a donkey's hurricane deck

So the adjustments we need are to add a dash and a section title, spell the author's name as "Pitcher," and include correct capitals for the book title.

Reading notes
3) At 5:30 - pause in the middle of the word "proposed" - I see two editing options here. Can the space between "pro" and "posed" be tightened and still sound natural? If so, that would be the easiest and fastest fix. If not, would you be willing to re-record the line with the "proposed" in it?

4) At 6:44 - the reader says "pernicious" but text says penurious

5) At 10:05 - stumble on "obliterated" (sounds like "obliberated")

6) At 11:30 - repeated phrase "on reaching the plain" - This instance at 11:30 just needs a simple cut.

And that's it! Let either Lynne or me know if you need any editing help. Fun chapter to listen to, too - the idea of pulling your own tooth like that :shock:
~ Chessie Joy