COMPLETE [SCIFI] The Mummy! a tale of the 22nd century-alg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

The Mummy!: A Tale of the 22nd Century by Jane Loudon (1807 - 1858) .
The Mummy!: Or a Tale of the Twenty-Second Century is about a wise Egyptian mummy who is reanimated far in the future. With a different take on what lies ahead for civilization inspired from the exciting developments of the era, it is a strange, entertaining story and an early science fiction work by a woman novelist. (Summary by A. Gramour)
This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
https://librivox.org/the-mummy-a-tale-of-the-twenty-second-century-by-jane-c-loudon/
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): Volume 1-- http://archive.org/details/mummyataletwent02jangoog
    Volume 2-- http://archive.org/details/mummyataletwent00jangoog Volume 3-- http://archive.org/details/mummyataletwent01jangoog
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ======================================================

Genres for the project:
    science-fiction

Keywords that describe the book: futuristic;mummy;
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Volume [number] Chapter [number]*( If applicable please add Part Number after saying Chapter Number) of The Mummy!: A Tale of the 22nd Century - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Mummy!: A Tale of the 22nd Century, by Jane Loudon . [Volume number][Chapter number]*"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter number]* of [Volume number ]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Mummy!: A Tale of the 22nd Century , by Jane Loudon . "
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!
    * If applicable please add Part Number after saying Chapter Number
    Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    mummy_##_loudon_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. mummy_01_loudon_128kb.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Jane Loudon
    Album: The Mummy!: A Tale of the 22nd Century

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: alg - alg1001
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

All of volume 1 is already assigned? Was hoping to do some of it. :cry:
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

No. Sorry about that. It isn't claimed yet. What would you like?

Thanks!
Amy
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

I'll start off with chapter 1. Then I'll probably do some more chapters. Thanks.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Great, I'll sign you up for chapter 1.

And move this to Readers Wanted.

Thanks!
Amy
tekksavvy318

Post by tekksavvy318 »

May I claim the last chapter!!
Sharing knowledge about people who walk different walks of life is a baby step towards understanding them and librivox is a great platform for just that!
http://tekksavvy.wordpress.com
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Okay, tekksavvy. I'll update the MW.

Thanks,
Amy
bebarrett

Post by bebarrett »

Hello there. I'd like to read section 2. This will be my first recording. You can list me as Bridget Barrett. Thanks.
SallyJay

Post by SallyJay »

hey! sallyjay here- a newbie! I would love to read chapter 2 or 3 vol 1 of the Mummy!!!
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

bebarrett wrote:Hello there. I'd like to read section 2. This will be my first recording. You can list me as Bridget Barrett. Thanks.
Welcome Bridget,

I will sign you up for section 2. Have fun!

Amy
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

SallyJay wrote:hey! sallyjay here- a newbie! I would love to read chapter 2 or 3 vol 1 of the Mummy!!!
Welcome Sally,

Bridget claimed Chapter 2 before you, but I will put you down for Chapter 3. Have fun!

-Amy
bebarrett

Post by bebarrett »

Hello,

Here is Chapter 2. Ready for proof listening. The track length is 37:45.26.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/alg/mummy_02_loudon.mp3

Just let me know what needs fixing and I will get right on that. I put it through the "Checker" a message came back about too many characters in the Artist field. I erased it and tried to re-save but I kept getting the same error.

Thanks

B
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

Here is chapter 1:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/alg/mummy_01_loudon.mp3

Duration (15:08)

Umm, I thought it was kinda silly to mention Part one in the intro, especially since the sections that are divided into parts don't begin until well into volume 2. I read the volume number instead, which I think is important considering there are 3 volumes. If anyone feels it need editing just let me know.

Interesting so far. But I am waitin' for the mummy stuff to start. :D

I will take chapter 4, if it is available.
bebarrett

Post by bebarrett »

If chapter 2 gets a passing grade, I'll take chapter 5 or the next available.

This is a cool story, kudos to whomever made the suggestion. :thumbs:

B