COMPLETE [SCIFI] The Mummy! a tale of the 22nd century-alg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Hi, Arnie.
If you could make some chages in the mummy voice to make it more understandable, that would be great. I'm not sure if that's the question of pitch or the echo, though :hmm: Probably the former.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Arnieh wrote:The URL for section 22 is not in the MW yet and the file seems to have disappeared. I'm re-uploading. No mummy dialogue in section 22:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/alg/mummy_22_loudon.mp3
I forgot to put 22 in there. The MW is updated now.
I agree with Piotrek on the mummy voice issue.
Thanks, Arnie! :D
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

OK Piotrek and Amy. I've renamed and re-uploaded section 16 with the mummy voice.

I've raised the mummy's pitch by 10%. It should sound clearer now.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/alg/mummy_16_loudon.mp3

Duration (36:07)

The mummy's dialogue is from (20:31 - 21:24) and (30:52 - end)
I am happy to edit any other files with the mummy voice if so desired. :D

Here is the mummy's text (from section 16) for reference:

20:31
"Fear not" " tell me your woes, and, if I can, I will assist you."
"Poor child!" "it is always thus when Eros first creeps into the soul, Covering his arrows with roses, so that they are not seen till their barbed points rankle in the heart ! I cannot tell how much I pity
thee ! So young and lovely too, it is hard that even thou shouldst not be exempt from the common lot of mortals ! Yet do not despair.''

30:52
"And so he is : but I thought you had determined not to oppose the duke any longer. It seems, then,
I did not understand your reasoning in the garden."
"Nay !" " why blame me ? Was I wrong in believing what you said ? Was it, then, only a part you were acting to deceive me?"
"No, no, my good Father Morris, my worthy friend, I honour you too much ! If I can read your heart, I must be charmed to see such devotion to your friends, such candour, openness, and integrity."
"And darest thou talk of Heaven?"
"Tis as it should be" "Yes, he is mine — he bends before my will ! Now will I tell thee what thy feeble reason was too powerless to discover : I am still thy friend. The duke and Sir Ambrose will only injure their cause by the ill-judged measures they will take to promote it. They had the advantage of justice, honour, and open dealing upon their side; was it nothing to deprive them of these fair sounding words ? Will they in future be able to complain of corruption, when they have attempted to corrupt? Had it not been so, even if success had crowned your efforts, would not the minds of men have inclined to the side of injured integrity ? for so they might have termed the party of the duke. Might they not also have said the election was secured by bribery and deceit ; and upon the first discontent that arose against Rosabella's government, would they not have recurred fondly to the recollection of the honest, open dealing, plain speaking duke ! Men naturally love and respect virtue, though they may be seduced for a time by the allurements of vice. Thus, though they might not have had strength of mind to resist the arts of your party, their best feelings would have still remained upon the side of Elvira. This can now no longer be the case. The duke and Sir Ambrose voluntarily throw away their strongest hold — they rush blindfold to destruction. They degrade themselves to your level ; whilst, as they are unused to deceit, they will not succeed in their endeavours, and disgrace will be their only reward. Now, do you blame me?''
"With regard to Edmund," "we must excite his jealousy. If he were detached from Elvira, her cause would perish." "Try then thy efforts and if thou canst excite suspicions, fan them gently to a flame, yet without seeming to do so. Do not attack Elvira openly, or assert broadly that she loves another ; but hint it darkly, so that your victim cannot misunderstand, and that the damning certainty may flash upon his mind with greater force than mere words can give. Well knowest thou what I mean, and well hath Nature modelled thee for such a part. That downcast look, that insinuating voice, and half ironical manner; the infernal deity himself could not well have wished a more fitting agent to execute his designs on earth than thou. Work then upon Edmund, and success cannot fail to follow thy attempts."
"Learn then to obey in silence, nor dare again to blame designs far beyond thy comprehension."
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Thanks so much, Arnie!

-Amy :D
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

Section 12 has been edited to include the mummy voice:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/alg/mummy_12_loudon.mp3

Duration (24:35)

Mummy dialogue for section 12:

(01:19-01:42)
(12:12-12:13)
(13:34-14:27)
(17:02-17:11)

Section 13 has been edited to include the mummy voice:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/alg/mummy_13_loudon.mp3

Duration (37:46)

Mummy dialogue for section 13:

(33:37-36:00)

I'd like to claim section 24.
Thanks.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Arnie,

Chapter 24 is yours. Thanks for the mummy voice! :D

-Amy
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

Section 17 has been edited to include the mummy voice:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/alg/mummy_17_loudon.mp3

Duration (20:57)

Mummy Diaglogue for section 17:

(18:22-18:46)
(20:36-end)

Here is section 24:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/alg/mummy_24_loudon.mp3

Duration (32:31)

Thanks.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Arnie,

Thanks for updating 17 and for 24. This is coming right along

-Amy :D
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

Section 14 has been edited to include the mummy voice (thanks to Lynne for her permission):

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/alg/mummy_14_loudon.mp3

Duration (29:42)

Mummy dialogue for section 14 (there's alot!):

(04:00-7:12)
(08:46-14:24)
(15:19-16:40)
(18:31-19:35)

Thanks.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Arnieh wrote:Section 14 has been edited to include the mummy voice (thanks to Lynne for her permission):

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/alg/mummy_14_loudon.mp3

Duration (29:42)

Mummy dialogue for section 14 (there's alot!):

(04:00-7:12)
(08:46-14:24)
(15:19-16:40)
(18:31-19:35)

Thanks.
I listened to a bit of this.... verging on too scary for me :shock: Obviously, I'll leave this to Piotrek81, but I did notice a bit of echo... is this intentional?
Good job, Arnie.
Lynne
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

Lynnet wrote: I listened to a bit of this.... verging on too scary for me :shock: Obviously, I'll leave this to Piotrek81, but I did notice a bit of echo... is this intentional?
Good job, Arnie.
Lynne
Thanks. Yes the echo is quite intentional. The author describes the voice as "deep, hollow, echoing, thundering, sepulchral, and thrilling through the soul". I think it brings the book to life,
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

I didn't realize that Arnie would be putting his own voice in the files. It sounded like he wanted to apply the effects to the reader's own voice. There can only be one reader per file so the original file will have to be used instead. Sorry, Arnie and Lynne.
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

alg1001 wrote:I didn't realize that Arnie would be putting his own voice in the files. It sounded like he wanted to apply the effects to the reader's own voice. There can only be one reader per file so the original file will have to be used instead. Sorry, Arnie and Lynne.
That was alot of work and effort to do that section. Really, only one person need be listed in the catalog. My voice is heavily augmented so it should not count. Come now! You are killing my enthusiam for this project.:D
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Don't let it kill your enthusiasm. Resurrect it like the mummy. This is a fun project!
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

alg1001 wrote:Don't let it kill your enthusiasm. Resurrect it like the mummy. This is a fun project!
Have there not been instances where more than one reader's voice appears in a recording? Such as when a reader needs someone to come in and read a paragraph or two that is in a foreign language?

I respect that this is your project and your wisdom as an admin, but being as it twas my suggestion I too have a vision for the direction it should take. Here are some points to consider?

1. I think the addition of the mummy voice really brings this audiobook to life, which can get stuffy and soap opera'ish at times.
2. I beleive, the author, were she alive today, would heartily approve of it, and it is in keeping with the voice as described by her.
3. A consistent mummy voice is better than having different sounding mummy voices, with different accents and so forth.
4. I think we'd be doing a disservice to the listener(s) by not doing a consistent mummy voice especially when we have the capability.

I recommend before my work is discarded, that we appeal this matter to the supreme authority at LibriVox, Hugh (the founder) for his opinion. I will abide by his decision and if neccesary (and if I have the time) work with the original voices if need be.

Thanks Amy.