COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection Vol. 29 -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

HughGil wrote:Sue,

Should Rich wait for the official OK from the Listeners & Editors forum? Or is he good to go?

Hugh
Hugh, I just posted this comment over at the Editor's & Listener's Forum:
"Rich also posted this 1-minute test at the nonfiction collection, where he wants to do a recording. BC, Sue Anderson, and DPL, HughGil both listened; specs looked ok to Sue, sounded fine; Hugh checked the technical specs and said they were OK, could this please be marked ok? Thanks, Sue" As far as I'm concerned, that should make Rich ready to record.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

HughGil wrote:Hi Rich,

Your tech specs check out okay. :thumbs:

Hugh
Hi Rich, your 1-minute test checks out ok, and you are ready to record! :)
PPerez

Post by PPerez »

Hi Sue and Hugh,

I have a recording with duration 1 hour and 14 minutes. It is a little too long.

My question is: should I open a “Solo recording” project, or should I send it to this, or the next, short non-fiction collection?

Regards, :thumbs:
PP
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Hi PPerez,
The longest single recording that Librivox generally accepts is 70 minutes, so it will fit on a CD. For this collection, we generally set the cut-off at 60 minutes for a solo recording, so it seems to me that your newest would be best as a solo. Even then, given the length, you will want to find a natural “break” and divide it into a “part 1” and “part 2” to keep each section under 70 minutes. Here is the information on how to start a solo recording: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13513.

Everybody has their own ideas about what is a “good” length for a recording. Over time, I’ve sort of settled, for my own projects, at about 25 minutes, with the low 30’s my absolute cut-off. I find this length less tiring to read and edit, and my guess is it’s also easier to find somebody to proof listen if the sections aren’t too long.

Are you recording more Whitehead? If so, maybe you would want to add one or two other Whitehead essays to your solo, to make a total recording time of 2 or 3 hours. That way, once you have your listener’s attention, you have a little more to keep them listening . . . Just a thought.

Hope this helps, and keep up the good work; your Whitehead recordings have really been “food for thought.”

P.S. Just another thought . . . if you could somehow find a relevant stop or starting point in the current essay that would allow you to "pare" it to a "selection" under 60 minutes, then it could still fit in the nonfiction collection. . .
richestlibrary

Post by richestlibrary »

OK! Thank you, Sue!
Sue Anderson wrote:
HughGil wrote:Hi Rich,

Your tech specs check out okay. :thumbs:

Hugh
Hi Rich, your 1-minute test checks out ok, and you are ready to record! :)
PPerez

Post by PPerez »

Hi Sue,

Thanks a lot for all the helpful suggestions, and for the positive feedback. I will then open a solo, and split the recording in pieces of some 20 minutes, each.

I have only one more earmarked essay by Whitehead for now, and it is shorter than 60 minutes. So I will submit it for the next non-fiction collection, if you don't mind.

Thanks to you, to Karen and Hugh for the great job in organizing this, and former collections.

Regards,
PP :thumbs:
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/jo/snf029_mothersday_americanflorists_sa.mp3
3:29

Resolution honoring the founder of "Mother's Day," Miss Anna Jarvis, from the Proceedings of the 26th Convention of American Florists, 1910
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

VOLUME 29 IS NOW FULL. Volume 30 of the Nonfiction Collection will be open soon! Thanks! :)
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

Sue Anderson wrote:http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/jo/snf029_mothersday_americanflorists_sa.mp3
3:29

Resolution honoring the founder of "Mother's Day," Miss Anna Jarvis, from the Proceedings of the 26th Convention of American Florists, 1910
Evening Sue,

PL is okay. :) Thanks for suggesting this to me, it was fun. :clap:

Hugh
"the story seems to take forever to go anywhere - and I know where it is going." - m8b1 2012
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

A THANK YOU TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED TO VOLUME 29 :clap:

As book coordinator of the 29th, I want to say THANK YOU to our 18 contributors. You made this an outstanding collection of readings, some serious, some serendipitous, some timely, some timeless, all well-read!

To HughGil, dedicated proof listener for Volume 29, your lightning fast proofing and your cheerful “thumb’s up” sign kept the nonfiction thread going at a lively pace! Thank you, Hugh!

And, many, many thanks to Jo (knotyouraveragejo), our meta-coordinator, who started the nonfiction collection in 2007 and who is still there behind the scenes, answering my questions, and also doing the cataloging. Jo has been busy on the “Rebuild Librivox” project. viewtopic.php?f=24&t=43390 Thank you, Jo, for having the faith to entrust me with the book coordinator-ship of your “baby!” That first volume of your non-fiction collection now has 91,572 downloads, according to archive.org! Wow!

A CD cover for Volume 29 will be available at the Librivox catalog site a day or so after Jo has finished the cataloging, and Volume 30 will be open soon in the “readers wanted, poetry and prose” thread. Until then, best wishes to all, Sue
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

This collection is now in the LibriVox catalog and available for listeners to download. Please check the catalog page and let me know if any changes are needed:

http://librivox.org/short-nonfiction-collection-vol-029-by-various/
Jo