This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/he-and-she-by-rachel-crothers/
Volunteers outside the USA: Rachel Crothers died in 1958. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, and Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955). However, this play also applies for the Rule of the Shorter Term, which has a provision that the author/translator must be a legal resident in the country of publication for it to affect a text's copyright status (see below for more details and countries that accept the Rule of the Shorter Term, including the UK and Australia).
A feminist drama that gained considerable critical and commercial success when it originally ran on Broadway. The play is about a husband and wife who also happen to be artists. A socially conscious battle of the sexes ensues over professional jealousy and whether the woman's place in the home should be thrown over for occupational dreams. (Summary by ChuckW & Amanda Friday)
- Is there a deadline?
We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
- How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
To find a role to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you'd like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
- New to recording?
Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
- Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://archive.org/details/representativeam00quinrich
- Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.
If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.
Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!
* IMPORTANT: While the above disclaimer says that this work is not PD 50/70, this text may (depending on the volunteer's location) apply for the Rule of the Shorter Term. Put simply, under this international agreement, signatory countries apply the copyright provisions of the country in which the work was first published. This rule has an additional provision that the author/translator must be a legal resident in the country of publication.
The Rule of the Shorter Term applies to this translation, as Crothers was an American citizen. This applies to volunteers in the following countries: Australia, Belgium, France, India, Ireland, the Netherlands, Russia, Spain and United Kingdom. This allows individual readers to make their own determinations. For more information, please visit the Librivox Wiki page on copyright information.
BC Admin Genres for the project:
Keywords that describe the book/play:
- BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430
Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
Submit one file per act.
- Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
[Role], read by [your name].
If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:
At the beginning: Act [#] of He and She , by Rachel Crothers . This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.
At the end: End of Act [#]. At the end of the play, add End of He and She , by Rachel Crothers .
Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
- AFTER recording:
Save files as 128 kbps MP3 heandshe_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case), where # is the act number.
ID3 V2 tags: Not needed for individual parts.
Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
- Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
- You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: al - wildemoose
- When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
- If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
- Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
Any questions? Please post below or PM me.