COMPLETE: King Arthur by Joseph Comyns Carr - ek

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

kiwifirst wrote:Hi all. I am a complete newbie, having only joined today. I was quite interested in getting my feet wet initially with some Proof listening. I wanted to ask a question that I couldn't find an answer to on the FAQ.

What is the 'ok' amount of time for a pause? I have had a quick listen to some audio and there are 4 to 5 seconds between paragraphs, so I wanted to find out if there was an agreed time for pausing.
Since dramatic pieces have to get assembled out of the fragments submitted by different readers, those pauses will go away when edited. In fact it is very helpful in assembly if there are very large gaps in the individual parts so that it is easy to cut and paste the various phrases from each file.

For regular book readings, gaps are usually a part of a second - just as they would be in actual conversation. Longer gaps are appropriate between chapter sections, maybe changes in scene, or where the author has put a row of asterisks. But if they go over a couple of seconds listeners worry about their playback equipment!

Welcome aboard, Todd
kiwifirst

Post by kiwifirst »

Thanks Todd, that is really helpful. To be honest, I usually speed up all the audio books I listen to. So long pauses are something I find hard to listen too. Now that I read your email it makes sense that the 'part' reading would have pauses to allow for editing in.
If you were proof listening to a standard read chapter though, I assume you can state the paragraph pauses are too long without stepping on toes.

Speaking of toes, I'll now read though the rest of the help files before trying my first PL and read.

cheers
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

dwarner30uk wrote:09 Sir Lavaine Act II

Shall I perform this small task for you?

David
That would be awesome! I'll update the MW soon!
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

ToddHW wrote:
kiwifirst wrote:Hi all. I am a complete newbie, having only joined today. I was quite interested in getting my feet wet initially with some Proof listening. I wanted to ask a question that I couldn't find an answer to on the FAQ.

What is the 'ok' amount of time for a pause? I have had a quick listen to some audio and there are 4 to 5 seconds between paragraphs, so I wanted to find out if there was an agreed time for pausing.
Since dramatic pieces have to get assembled out of the fragments submitted by different readers, those pauses will go away when edited. In fact it is very helpful in assembly if there are very large gaps in the individual parts so that it is easy to cut and paste the various phrases from each file.

For regular book readings, gaps are usually a part of a second - just as they would be in actual conversation. Longer gaps are appropriate between chapter sections, maybe changes in scene, or where the author has put a row of asterisks. But if they go over a couple of seconds listeners worry about their playback equipment!

Welcome aboard, Todd
Thanks for fielding that one, Todd! :)
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

I'm out of commission for a few days - I apologize!
Fongie

Post by Fongie »

Sorry for being slow, I'll get to it soon!
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

Fongie wrote:Sorry for being slow, I'll get to it soon!
No worries, Max! :)
dwarner30uk

Post by dwarner30uk »

Do you still want me to read Act II Sir Lavaine? It hasn't been assigned in the Magic Window yet. I'm ready to upload when you want it.
David
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

dwarner30uk wrote:Do you still want me to read Act II Sir Lavaine? It hasn't been assigned in the Magic Window yet. I'm ready to upload when you want it.
David

Ack! I'm so sorry I forgot to put it up there! I absolutely do! :)

ETA: Done! :D
Last edited by JoFriday21 on March 16th, 2013, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

I need 2 more male readers for Knights and Chorus.

I need 1 more female reader for Lake Spirits.

Any takers? :D
dwarner30uk

Post by dwarner30uk »

JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

dwarner30uk wrote:http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ek/kingarthurdrama_sir_lavaine_2.mp3

Do you have other roles for me to try?
David
I do need another knight and chorus. You would listen to the file in the MW with headphones to match best you can while recording yours. Then upload only your version, naming it as it says in the magic window. What do you think? Would you like to try it?
dwarner30uk

Post by dwarner30uk »

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ek/kingarthurdrama_knights_1.mp3

Hello Elizabeth,
this is probably completely cheating, but to get a good Knight's Chaunt, I took the original and copied it in Audacity, changed the tempo down from F to C, added the two tracks together,and got a clean chant from two "voices". If you totally hate it, let me know and I will try to provide a deeper voice accompaniment.
David
dwarner30uk

Post by dwarner30uk »

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ek/kingarthurdrama_chorus_4.mp3

Hello, I have done a similar re-pitch for the Chorus.
:) :D
David
Vandermast

Post by Vandermast »

Here's your Gaoler. He doesn't have much to say and it's all miserable. :(

URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ek/kingarthurdrama_gaoler_4.mp3
Duration: 1:00.