[COMPLETE] History of Prostitution by William Sanger - al

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

History of Prostitution, The by William Sanger (1819 - 1872) .

This project is complete! The audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/the-history-of-prostitution-by-william-sanger/
Common sense asks for a full investigation of all the evils attending prostitution. In the every-day affairs of life, any man who feels the pressure of a particular evil looks at once for its cause. He may be neither a philosopher nor a logician, and may never have heard of or read any of the luminous treatises which professedly simplify science, yet he knows very well that for every effect there must be some adequate cause, and for this he generally searches diligently till he can find and remove it. But here, in the city of New York, is a population who claim to be as intelligent as any on the Western continent, who have been for years suffering from the effects of a vice in purse and person; who have paid and are paying every year large sums of money on account of it; who witness every day some broken constitution or ruined character resulting from it, and who yet have never thought of seeking out the cause! Is it now too late to enlist your sympathies in the undertaking? Hence we conclude that propriety, expediency, public safety, private interest, and common sense demand an investigation like this now submitted to the reader. (from the Introduction)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/41873
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project:
    history, instruction, psychology

Keywords that describe the book:
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of The History of Prostitution - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The History of Prostitution, by William Sanger. Section [number]. Chapter [number], Chapter Name."

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section #]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The History of Prostitution, by William Sanger . "

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    historyofprostitution_##_sanger_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. historyofprostitution_01_sanger_128kb.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: William Sanger
    Album: History of Prostitution, The

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: wildemoose - wildemoose
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

A couple of things about this one:

- The chapters are LONG so I've tried to split them up in the most logical way. If you have questions about how I've done that or if you have suggestions for a better way, please let me know.

- It is not necessary to read footnotes. However, there are many tables and charts, especially in the later chapters, which are essential to the understanding of the text and need to be read. My advice is just to do the best you can - it's not necessary for each reader to read tables in exactly the same way. If you want suggestions on how to read a particular table I'd be happy to help.

- Because I've split up so many chapters into sections, the chapter numbers are not going to match the section numbers. Please look at the intro/outro script in the opening post carefully and let me know if you have any questions.
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Sections 32, 33, and 34 please. :)
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Assuming in advance that I'm going to be assigned the above sections (how cheeky!) I have a question about the outro which states:
At the end of the section, say:
"End of [Chapter]"
Those 3 sections are all chapter 25 so I can't very well say "End of chapter" at the end of the first two sections. I propose saying one of:

"End of Section ##" or

"End of Part 1 of Chapter 25", "End of Part 2 of Chapter 25", "End of Part 3 of Chapter 25"

Input please?
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

May I take 29 and 30, please?

Thanks,

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Sorry, Bev, I missed that in the template. Please say "End of Section #." I will fix the opening post.

And thanks, Bev and Peter, I will put you down for those sections!
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

I'll go ahead and move this out of the Launch Pad, but I would still welcome a DPL. :)
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

02 Chapter 2 - Egypt, Syria, and Asia Minor

Id like to claim section 2.

Thanks.
bcorbin

Post by bcorbin »

Hi,

I'm a newbie here, but I would love to tackle Sections 00 and 01, please.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Bryan
Last edited by bcorbin on February 13th, 2013, 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

May I have sections 17 and 25 please.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Thanks, everyone! All claimed sections are now in the MW.

Bcorbin, welcome to LibriVox! I see someone's already given you instructions on how to post your test recording in your intro thread. Please do that before you record your claimed sections for this project, especially as the Introduction is very long. You really don't want to record a 45 minute section only to find it is unusable because of some technical problem. Let me know if you have any questions! Also, how would you like your name to appear in the catalog? We can also link to a personal website if you like.
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

Very interesting reading. I especially like the use of/reference to the writings of Herodotus and Strabo.

Here is section 2, chapter 2: Egypt, Syria, and Asia Minor.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/al/historyofprostitutionthe_02_sanger.mp3

Duration (06:43)

Too bad we can't believe everything Herodotus says. :hmm:
bcorbin

Post by bcorbin »

Arielle,

Thanks so much for this opportunity. You can put my name in the catalog as Bryan Corbin, and my personal website is www.bryancorbin.net.

I'll start working on this soon.

All my best,

Bryan
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Thanks, Arnieh!

And thanks, Bryan - I've updated your information in the database.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hi, Arielle

Could I claim the two sections about Rome? :mrgreen:
Leni
=================