[COMPLETE] History of Prostitution by William Sanger - al

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » March 5th, 2014, 11:22 am

Hello! I'm happy to sign you up for section 56! Let me know if you need any help.

darkhorse21

Post by darkhorse21 » March 5th, 2014, 5:41 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/wildemoose/historyofprostitution_56_sanger.mp3

Here is my section. 40 mins 34 secs
37.2 mb

By the way, the part in the text where it says, "...and at a later period drew from the Papal government a bull recognizing the affliction as a direct punishment..." I substituted the word "bill" for "bull" as I think it must be a typo.

ramonescamilla

Post by ramonescamilla » March 5th, 2014, 8:46 pm

I don't want to contradict anyone, but it seems likely that they're talking about an actual papal bull: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03052b.htm. It's just a super low-frequency word.

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » March 6th, 2014, 4:20 am

Thank you for your recording!
It is a bull indeed, but don't worry about it, Samantha, if it's not easy to edit. What must be edited, is the volume; it needs to be increased for this recording. Do you use Audacity? If so, you can estimate your volume to be in the desired range when the wave form peaks around the 0.5 mark.
In this recording, in order to amplify the volume in Audacity, I think I would go with "Compression" with the following settings: Threshold: -17dB, Noise Floor: -60, Ratio: 3.5:1, attack and release left default, Make-up gain: unchecked, and Compress based on Peaks: checked.
And if you choose to edit the "bull" word is around time 15:39 in the recording.
So, try to increase the volume and re-upload the file when ready. Ask if you need any help :)

I loved your way of reading! It resembles my own rythm in reading and it felt so familiar! :9:

darkhorse21

Post by darkhorse21 » March 6th, 2014, 10:01 am

Sorry about that. I should have looked it up. Thanks very much for the advice on how to edit it, it's so specific and will be of great help. I haven't recorded anything here for a while and it seems the file did not save properly in Audacity. I don't know if there is a way of recovering it or not. I can easily re-record it though, and still use your editing tips. Also, thanks for the compliment on my reading:)

dread

Post by dread » March 6th, 2014, 10:06 am

May I please read Section 45?

-- dread
The range of literature is as wide as humanity. It touches every feeling, every hope, every craving of the human heart. -- David Jordan

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » March 6th, 2014, 11:07 am

darkhorse21 wrote:Sorry about that. I should have looked it up. Thanks very much for the advice on how to edit it, it's so specific and will be of great help. I haven't recorded anything here for a while and it seems the file did not save properly in Audacity. I don't know if there is a way of recovering it or not. I can easily re-record it though, and still use your editing tips. Also, thanks for the compliment on my reading:)
Maybe the setting on your microphone had changed and dicreased the input volume. Don't worry about rerecording the file, since with amplification/compression the volume and the sound quality will be fine! Better to use that time on recording a different section :mrgreen:
So, while you record, if the wave-form peaks around the 0.5 mark, the volume is fine:
You might need to increase the input volume for your microphone, either from the sound control panel of your system, or maybe from the microphone slider in Audacity Mixer Toolbar, if it's not maxed out. And if those are maxed out, then just amplify the resulting recording each time, and it'll be fine ;)

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » March 6th, 2014, 11:09 am

dread wrote:May I please read Section 45?

-- dread
Thanks for claiming! I'll sign you up

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » March 7th, 2014, 2:58 am

darkhorse21 wrote:Sorry about that. I should have looked it up. Thanks very much for the advice on how to edit it, it's so specific and will be of great help. I haven't recorded anything here for a while and it seems the file did not save properly in Audacity. I don't know if there is a way of recovering it or not. I can easily re-record it though, and still use your editing tips. Also, thanks for the compliment on my reading:)
Oh! If you meant that you haven't kept the file in your computer, then you can download it again from the file's link here.
https://librivox.org/uploads/wildemoose/historyofprostitution_56_sanger.mp3
(right click on the link and "Save link as..." to choose a destination folder in your computer)

ramonescamilla

Post by ramonescamilla » March 7th, 2014, 10:00 pm

Did something happen to wildemoose? The name's not on the drop-down list anymore.

ramonescamilla

Post by ramonescamilla » March 7th, 2014, 10:13 pm

I've uploaded this to Rapunzelina for now -- I apologize if that's not okay. I might not be back on LV for a little while.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/historyofprostitution_44_sanger.mp3

28:57

Thank you!

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » March 8th, 2014, 5:12 am

Hi Ramon! Thank you for your file! Your recording is PL OK and very well read as always :D

Hmmm, I don't know what happen to the name wildemoose; maybe it's a bug... But your file won't get lost so thank you for uploading!

Take care!

ramonescamilla

Post by ramonescamilla » March 8th, 2014, 6:24 pm

Section 43, 32:58! I had time this weekend open up, after all. :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/wildemoose/historyofprostitution_43_sanger.mp3

(And today wildemoose is back!)

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » March 9th, 2014, 3:30 am

(Yes, that was fixed!)

Thank you for yet another PL OK and nicely read section!! :D

dread

Post by dread » March 11th, 2014, 3:51 pm

The range of literature is as wide as humanity. It touches every feeling, every hope, every craving of the human heart. -- David Jordan