COMPLETE: Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand - ek

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand (1868 - 1918) . Translated by Gladys Thomas and Mary F. Guillemard (? - ?).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/cyrano-de-bergerac-by-edmond-rostand/
One of the most beloved French plays of all time, Cyrano de Bergerac is a clever and tragic tale of truth concealed and love denied. Its titular character is a proud, daring swordsman and genius poet who has one terrible flaw: an abnormally large nose. Too afraid of rejection to confess his love for the beautiful Roxane, Cyrano helps her brainless but handsome suitor Christian to woo her, providing him with love letters while resolutely keeping his own passion a secret. (Summary by Elizabeth Barr)
  1. Is there a deadline? 
We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
 Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  2. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a role to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you'd like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1254
    SEE GOOGLE DOCS IN THE MAGIC WINDOW
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

======================================================

Magic Window:

BC Admin

=======================================================

Genres for the project:
adventure, comedy, play, romance
    Keywords that describe the book/play:
Love; Poetry; Drama; Sword; Nose
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430
    Set your recording software to: 
Channels: 1 (Mono) 
Bit Rate: 128 kbps 
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    Submit one file per act.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:[Role], read by [your name].
    If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file: 
At the beginning: Act [#] of Cyrano de Bergerac , by Edmond Rostand . Translated by Gladys Thomas and Mary F. Guillemard This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.
    At the end: End of Act [#]. At the end of the play, add End of Cyrano de Bergerac , by Edmond Rostand . Translated by Gladys Thomas and Mary F. Guillemard
    Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:Save files as 128 kbps MP3 cyranodebergerac_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case), where # is the act number. 
ID3 V2 tags: Not needed for individual parts.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings)Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. 
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin) 

• You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: gloriana - gloriana
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions? Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by musicalheart1 on January 4th, 2013, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

Another awesome play for Librivox to sink its teeth into!

I am reading Roxane. All other parts are up for grabs (and boy are there a lot of them)!

Check the MW for links to the GoogleDocs!

Obviously, there are a lot of French words in this play (even though it has been translated to English), so if there are any pronunciation questions, I am happy to oblige. As a general guideline, if a word has a French and a English pronunciation, go with the French one when possible.

This is a project I've wanted to do since I first joined Librivox. Very excited and eager to make it great!

Any questions at all, let me know :thumbs:
Last edited by musicalheart1 on January 4th, 2013, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

I know the MW is not up yet but can I ask to read the role Comte De Guiche, it's always fun being a bad guy.
I am assuming the translation is PD in the UK.
alan
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
catrose

Post by catrose »

I have a question: 69 roles! Are you completely and utterly insane? (I know, pot kettle black, but it's best I say what I assume others are thinking, otherwise you'll never get a chance to explain, and in two weeks time, I'll be look at this thread and wonder why I didn't ask why she was doing two plays at the same time, when one is very big and the other is awesomely tragic) Jane Eyre was only finished last week and you have another drama in the launchpad.

Good luck! (Just had to point those things out) I'll be back when the MW's up! :)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

catrose wrote:I have a question: 69 roles! Are you completely and utterly insane? (I know, pot kettle black, but it's best I say what I assume others are thinking, otherwise you'll never get a chance to explain, and in two weeks time, I'll be look at this thread and wonder why I didn't ask why she was doing two plays at the same time, when one is very big and the other is awesomely tragic) Jane Eyre was only finished last week and you have another drama in the launchpad.

Good luck! (Just had to point those things out) I'll be back when the MW's up! :)
:lol: Hahaha, thanks, catrose.

You got me to thinking! I went back to my list of roles and figured out that I should pre-double cast it (since that's usually what ends up happening anyway when there are several smaller roles needing to be filled). Reworking it, here's the new breakdown:

*14 single character roles
*25 double character roles
*2 triple character roles

Plus a narrator.

Better? :D

Seriously, Charlotte, thank you for making me figure this out now. Headache averted!
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

alanmapstone wrote:I know the MW is not up yet but can I ask to read the role Comte De Guiche, it's always fun being a bad guy.
I am assuming the translation is PD in the UK.
alan
Sure, Alan!

I actually don't know how to check if it's PD in the UK... Help? :oops:

This translation is from 1899, so I would think so . . .
Cori

Post by Cori »

We'd need to know the dates of death of the two translators, and as long as they're both before 1943, it's okay for UK and Europe.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
catrose

Post by catrose »

Found the book on Archive (this version, same translators) and it says it was published in New York, which makes me assume they are American, so Short Term. Gladys Thomas is one of those annoying common names, so I have almost no hope in finding her (translators aren't normally that well known) the other one, I don't know about (slightly unusualer name I think) Anyway, it is fairly unlikely that you'll find them (please, someone prove me wrong)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

I can MC. I'll set this up now.
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

OK, you should be all set up. Let me know if you need anything else right now!
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

I think you are safe. Form what I gathered, the translation was published in 1898 or 1899. And, of course, if Cat said that it was published in New York, it would work according to the rule of the shorter turm.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

catrose wrote:Found the book on Archive (this version, same translators) and it says it was published in New York, which makes me assume they are American, so Short Term. Gladys Thomas is one of those annoying common names, so I have almost no hope in finding her (translators aren't normally that well known) the other one, I don't know about (slightly unusualer name I think) Anyway, it is fairly unlikely that you'll find them (please, someone prove me wrong)
Wow, thanks! I was looking earlier as well and yeah, there is NO INFORMATION about either one of these ladies.
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

gloriana wrote:OK, you should be all set up. Let me know if you need anything else right now!
THANK YOU, ELIZABETH!!!! :clap:

Fancy taking on a role?
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

miss stav wrote:I think you are safe. Form what I gathered, the translation was published in 1898 or 1899. And, of course, if Cat said that it was published in New York, it would work according to the rule of the shorter turm.
Yeah, it was 1899. Thanks for the input, miss stav! :thumbs:

It does seem as though we're okay *phew*
catrose

Post by catrose »

I assume its your usual "gender perfect, word perfect" casting (at least until for the first few months) is it? :) (And yes, I'm much less worried knowing that there are only 40-odd characters! :D)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com