COMPLETE Meg of Mystery Mountain by Grace May North - mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

Meg of Mystery Mountain by Grace May North (1876 - 1960) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/meg-of-mystery-mountain-by-grace-may-north/

Jane Abbott, tall, graceful and languidly beautiful, passed through the bevy of girls on the wharf below Highacres Seminary with scarcely a nod for any of them. Closely following her came three other girls, each carrying a satchel and wearing a tailored gown of the latest cut. Although Esther Ballard and Barbara Morris called gaily to many of their friends, it was around Marion Starr that all of the girls crowded until her passage way to the small boat, even then getting up steam, was completely blocked. Jane, when she had crossed the gang plank, turned to find only Esther and Barbara at her side. A slight sneer curled her lips as she watched the adulation which Merry was receiving. Then, with a shrug of her slender shoulders that was more eloquent than words, the proud girl seated herself in one of the reclining deck chairs and imperiously motioned her friends to do likewise. “It’s so silly of Merry to make such a fuss over all those girls. She’ll miss the boat if she doesn’t hurry.” Marion had evidently thought of the same thing, for she laughingly ran up the gang plank, her arms filled with candy boxes, boquets and magazines, gifts of her admiring friends. Depositing these on a chair, she leaned over the rail to call: “Good-bye, girls! Of course I’ll write to you, Sally, reams and reams; a sort of a round-robin letter to be sent to the whole crowd.” (Summary by Grace May North)
Volunteers outside the USA: Grace May North died in 1960. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, and Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955).

This is a Solo project done by SamR. Way to go! :thumbs: SarahParshall will be BC and DPL. :)

Soloist: We do ask that the reader check in once a month, even if there are no files to submit, so that we know she still intends to complete the project.

Instructional Videos
LibriVox Wiki

[*]Where do I find the text?
Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/42014 :wink:

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
======================================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and readers (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 31
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: no
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Date of first publication: 1926

=======================================================

Genres for the project:
adventure, mystery

Keywords that describe the book:
Teen

[*]BEFORE recording:
Please check the Recording Notes:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Here's a video on how to set your tech specs.

[*]DURING recording:
Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
Start of recording (Intro)
  • "Chapter [number] of Meg of Mystery Mountain. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name]"
  • Say:
    " Meg of Mystery Mountain , by Grace May North . [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
"Chapter [number] of [Book title]. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
If you wish, say: 
"Recording by [your name]"
Say: 
The Seven Sleuths' Club , by Carol Norton [Chapter]"

End of recording
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Meg of Mystery Mountain , by Grace May North . "

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!

[*]AFTER recording:
Need noise-cleaning?
Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
Or, here's a video made by Phil Chenevert on noise-cleaning. Here's a video on basic editing! Here's a video on converting from stereo to mono. :D

Save files as
128 kbps MP3
megofmysterymountain_##_north.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. megofmysterymountain_01_north.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
(To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3 Or, here's a video made by Phil Chenevert on ID3 tags.)
Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
Artist: Grace May North
Album: Meg of Mystery Mountain

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
    http://upload.librivox.org
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: mas-MaryAnnSpiegel
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by WoollyBee on May 20th, 2013, 3:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

Could someone confirm that this is PD? It was on Project Gutenberg but I know that not everything available there is public domain in the US. :)

I will be DPL'ing this if it is PD. :wink:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The bibrec tag on the PG page says it is PD in the USA - I suppose it wasn't renewed

Anne
Peppersnoodles93

Post by Peppersnoodles93 »

Oh no! Haha, I was JUST going to start this book THIS morning! I'm not kidding either! Sam is wanting to read all of it since it's the same author as the one I just did. Would you mind if she claimed all the sections? She was wanting to do it as a solo, but I suggested since she's not familiar with the MW, to just claim all the sections...

Would that be alright?
~Kim
Peppersnoodles93

I would say, we could just work on another one, but that's the only other one in Glutenburg..... :( These were great, maybe I can find another book like this.
~Kim
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

THere is no reason why you can't produce a Solo as well . Sarah has set this one up already. It happens that someone else has the same idea often - that is LibriVox.

Anne
Peppersnoodles93

You know what? I guess this author has another name she went under, and I found another book on GB by her other name "Carol Norton." I think I'll start that one up too! :D

Have fun!
~Kim
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

annise wrote:The bibrec tag on the PG page says it is PD in the USA - I suppose it wasn't renewed

Anne
Thank you Anne! :thumbs:
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

Peppersnoodles93 wrote:You know what? I guess this author has another name she went under, and I found another book on GB by her other name "Carol Norton." I think I'll start that one up too! :D

Have fun!
Wait a minute, I'm confused. :roll: Sorry. :oops:
Is Sam going to set this up as a separate solo, is she going to claim all the sections in this project, or is she going to do the other book on PG? All three options are fine. I'd be happy to help her out if she wanted to claim all the sections. ;) Just let me know! :) :D
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Sarah,

I can MC this for you. Be back in a bit with the MW.

Pepper has another project by Carol Norton, so it doesn't sound like "Sam" will be claiming all the sections in this one . . . although I also find the trail very confusing.

MaryAnn
Peppersnoodles93

Hi Maryann I got a pm from Sam and she's just going to claim sections from meg then claim all sections from the sleuth one :) sorry for the confusion!
~Kim
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Sarah,
As you have undoubtedly noticed, MW is now up. :)
MaryAnn
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

Great, thanks so much, MaryAnn! :clap: Sorry for the confusion. :oops:
SamR

Post by SamR »

After PM with Sarah, am posting to confirm that I'll claim all the sections

Thanks all for setting this up...am looking forward to making a start
:thumbs:
Sam

Laughter is like a windshield wiper. It doesn't stop the rain but it allows us to keep going
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

Great, thanks Sam! Looking forward to working with you! :D :D