COMPLETE [DRAM.READ] The Maid of Maiden Lane - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
rhoffman

Post by rhoffman »

The Maid of Maiden Lane by Amelia Edith Huddleston Barr (1831 - 1919) .

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-maid-of-maiden-lane-by-amelia-e-barr/
The Maid of Maiden lane is a wonderful love story in which Mrs. Barr intertwines the hot political and social issues that were occurring in America during the last decade of the 18th century with an excellent love story plot. Some of those issues include: the moral dilemma and debate over the French Revolution, and how that event touched the lives of the immigrants in America; the prejudices between the immigrants from England, and those from France or Holland, and how those animosities affected the ordinary lives of the people; and the political debate over titles, foreign policy, and such things(for example)as where the capital of the nation was to reside, New York or Philadelphia. The author gives us a picture of New York City that is vastly different from today, with it's residential areas and tree lined roads as the backdrop for this very interesting drama. Cornelia, the Maiden of Maiden lane, is loved by two young men. Who she chooses, and the obstacles that the two face because of the opposition of their fathers, friends, and a huge mistake that turns everything upside down, propels the story towards its climax, where a surprise character, spiritual in nature, comes to the rescue, while sacrificing her own desire for love to help the two lovers. Good character, love, and the family ties and relationships that existed during those times are very well portrayed by the author, and the book is as interesting from a historical point of view as it is from a truly interesting and sweet old fashioned love story. (Summary by Robert Hoffman)
  1. Is there a deadline? January 2013
    Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
  2. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here

To find a role to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you'd like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?

Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text : http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5757
    PLEASE READ FROM GOOGLE DOCS BELOW Sections 25-38
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project:
    historical-fiction

Keywords that describe the book/play:
    Love Story, Early American History, French Revolution, faith, prejudice, family relationships, character, virtue.
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

If you are narrating, please include for each file:
    At the beginning: Chapter [#] of The Maid of Maiden Lane , by Amelia Edith Huddleston Barr . This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

Please use the abbreviated disclaimer for all chapters except for chapter 01

At the end: End of Chapter [#]. At the end of the book, add End of The Maid of Maiden Lane , by Amelia Edith Huddleston Barr .

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3 maidofmaidenlane_[role]_[##].mp3 (all lower-case), where ## is the chapter number. ie: maidofmaidenlane_katehyde_04.mp3
    ID3 V2 tags: Not needed for individual parts.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:

http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: aradlaw - aradlaw
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions? Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by rhoffman on January 11th, 2013, 3:39 pm, edited 9 times in total.
rhoffman

Post by rhoffman »

All google docs ready to go. This is going to be a good one!

Roles already claimed: Narrator, George Hyde, Cornelia Moran, Arenta Van Ariens, Annie Hyde

Excellent roles available. 18 more in all. :)
VictoriaBMartin

Post by VictoriaBMartin »

I'm so excited about this project!!! Can't wait to get started. :)
~A Friend, Victoria
Enjoy adventure, suspense, and romance? Claim a chapter in The Scarlet Pimpernel!
L.M. Montgomery fan? help read Rilla of Ingleside.
I will be on vacation from Oct. 10-19, and will have no access to the internet.
rhoffman

Post by rhoffman »

VictoriaBMartin wrote:I'm so excited about this project!!! Can't wait to get started. :)
You are going to be great as Annie! What a nice role for you! :)
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

Looking forward to doing my Dutch heritage proud LOL
rhoffman

Post by rhoffman »

JoFriday21 wrote:Looking forward to doing my Dutch heritage proud LOL
You will, I have no doubt! What an outspoken Dutch girl you will be!
CaprishaPage

Post by CaprishaPage »

Sign me up! I will take any role! :o) I am not familiar with the work, so put me where you need me! :o)
Caprisha

I am half agony, half hope. -Jane Austen
rhoffman

Post by rhoffman »

CaprishaPage wrote:Sign me up! I will take any role! :o) I am not familiar with the work, so put me where you need me! :o)
I am putting you down as Ava Moran, the mother of Cornelia, who in this story will be Grace ( hggarett). I think you will do a wonderful job with her. You'll see more after the google docs are up. But, you are in 8 chapters. :)
rhoffman

Post by rhoffman »

Tisha is going to DPL :clap:
rhoffman

Post by rhoffman »

Here, if this helps everybody. Claimed parts are in bold.

Narrator Book and Chapter intro’s, outro’s, and all narration Chapters 1-14
George Hyde Cornelia’s lover Chapters 2-6 8-14
Kate Hyde George’s mother Chapters 4, 5, 6,8,9,13
Richard Hyde George’s father Chapters 4,5,10,13
Joris Van Heemskirk - George’s Grandfather Chapters 1,4,6,9,12
Lysbet Van Heemskirk George’s Grandmother Chapters 4,5,6,9,11,12,14
Annie Hyde George’s cousin Chapters 10,12,13
Cornelia Moran Maid of Maiden Lane Chapters,2,3,4,5,6,8,9,10,11,12,14
John Moran Cornelia’s father Chapters, 3,7,8,9,10,11,14
Ava Moran Cornelia’s mother Chapters,2,3,7,8,9,10,11,12,14
Arenta Van Ariens Cornelia’s friend Chapters 2,4,6,7,8,11,12,14
Rem Van Ariens Arenta’s brother Chapters 2,7,8,9,14
Angelica Jacobus Arenta’s Aunt Chapters 3, 6,7,8,11,12,14
Captain Jacobus Arenta’s Uncle Chapter 14
Jacob Van Ariens Arenta’s and Rem’s grandfather Chapter 1,4
Peter Van Ariens Arenta’s and Rem’s father Chapter 7,8,9,11,14
John Adams Vice President Chapter 5
Mrs. Adams Vice President’s wife Chapter 5
Mrs. Smith Daughter of The Adam’s Chapter 5
Thomas Jefferson Thomas Jefferson ( Chapter 5
An Englishman Chapter 5
Balthazar Servant/ Messenger of the Moran’s Chapter 9
Mrs. Wiley Friend of Ava Moran Chapter 9
Mary Damer Friend of George and Annie Hyde (Rem’s fiancee) Chapters 10,12,13
Anthony Clymer Friend of George Hyde Chapter 10,
Ameer ( one line) Chapter 11
Doctor Roslyn Annie’s spiritual guide Chapters 12, 13
rhoffman

Post by rhoffman »

rhoffman wrote:
CaprishaPage wrote:Sign me up! I will take any role! :o) I am not familiar with the work, so put me where you need me! :o)
I am putting you down as Ava Moran, the mother of Cornelia, who in this story will be Grace ( hggarett). I think you will do a wonderful job with her. You'll see more after the google docs are up. But, you are in 8 chapters. :)
Make that 9 chapters Caprisha. You'll do great!
hggarrett

Post by hggarrett »

rhoffman wrote:

CaprishaPage is playing my mother in two projects right now! :D
Can't wait to get started on this!

Grace
Last edited by hggarrett on July 10th, 2012, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhoffman

Post by rhoffman »

hggarrett wrote:
CaprishaPage is playing my mother in two projects right now! :D
Can't wait to get started on this!

Grace
I am thrilled that you are reading Cornelia too Grace. :)
Tisha

Post by Tisha »

rhoffman wrote:Tisha is going to DPL :clap:
:lol: :lol: :wink: :thumbs:
Tisha
=====> "I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do." Edward Everett Hale
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Hi Robert, I'll set this one up for you, be back shortly with a Magic Window.

... all done, You've got a couple of extra MW spots "just in case" :wink:
Please let me know if you need anything else.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!