COMPLETE - The Journal of John Woolman by John Woolman - kiki

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
JackLohr
Posts: 11
Joined: July 13th, 2019, 1:02 pm

Post by JackLohr » July 15th, 2019, 5:36 am

Hi, Kristine,
I go by Jack Lohr.
My retirement blog is https://jubilating.blogspot.com/

Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 5424
Joined: December 18th, 2006, 9:48 am
Location: Riga, Latvia.

Post by Kikisaulite » July 15th, 2019, 8:18 am

JackLohr wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 5:36 am
Hi, Kristine,
I go by Jack Lohr.
My retirement blog is https://jubilating.blogspot.com/
Added and assigned the section to you. I see you have your test posted, that is good. Please wait with the actual recording until someone has checked and OKed the test, so that the technical things are correct and you don't have to redo.
Otherwise than that, please follow the main rule: have fun! :)
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.

PhyllisV
Posts: 113
Joined: January 7th, 2019, 2:22 pm

Post by PhyllisV » July 15th, 2019, 8:53 am

I would like to claim sections 7 and 8

Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 5424
Joined: December 18th, 2006, 9:48 am
Location: Riga, Latvia.

Post by Kikisaulite » July 15th, 2019, 11:12 am

PhyllisV wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 8:53 am
I would like to claim sections 7 and 8
Sections 7 and 8 are all yours!
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.

JackLohr
Posts: 11
Joined: July 13th, 2019, 1:02 pm

Post by JackLohr » July 15th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Kikisaulite wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 8:18 am
Added and assigned the section to you. I see you have your test posted, that is good. Please wait with the actual recording until someone has checked and OKed the test, so that the technical things are correct and you don't have to redo.
Otherwise than that, please follow the main rule: have fun! :)
Couldn't wait! If it needs to be re-done, that's part of my learning. It's a very short postscript to The Journal.
Section 13: https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/journalofjohnwoolman_13_woolman_128kb.mp3
--Jack

Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 5424
Joined: December 18th, 2006, 9:48 am
Location: Riga, Latvia.

Post by Kikisaulite » July 16th, 2019, 9:21 am

Thanks, Jack!
Our PLer will listen to the file some time soon and let you know if there is something to correct.
Also, what is the length of the recording? For future recordings, please always post the length together with the file link.

Kristine :)
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.

Kalamareader
Posts: 210
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 6:31 pm
Location: Kalama, WA

Post by Kalamareader » July 16th, 2019, 10:35 am

Hi Kristine,

I just found this one, and couldn't believe it took almost four years, then I read through the posts and now I understand. It sounds great. I would like to claim 10, 11 and 12 if I might. I may take a little while to get this done, but I will do it. :thumbs:

Thanks,

Wayne

Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 5424
Joined: December 18th, 2006, 9:48 am
Location: Riga, Latvia.

Post by Kikisaulite » July 16th, 2019, 11:12 am

Hi, Wayne!
All three sections are yours, thanks!
We are now fully set and moving to "Readers Found".

K. :)
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.

lubee930
Posts: 4526
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO, USA

Post by lubee930 » July 16th, 2019, 2:26 pm

JackLohr wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 12:06 pm
Kikisaulite wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 8:18 am
Added and assigned the section to you. I see you have your test posted, that is good. Please wait with the actual recording until someone has checked and OKed the test, so that the technical things are correct and you don't have to redo.
Otherwise than that, please follow the main rule: have fun! :)
Couldn't wait! If it needs to be re-done, that's part of my learning. It's a very short postscript to The Journal.
Section 13: https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/journalofjohnwoolman_13_woolman_128kb.mp3
--Jack
Hi Jack--I PL'ed your section. You have a very nice voice, your tech specs are all good, no problems with the reading of the text itself. Great job! :thumbs:

The only issue that I'll ask you to address is the beginning silence. If you notice tucked away in the instructions in the first post (easy to miss), it says:
"No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!"--so could you please snip out some of that beginning silence for me? Also, I do think that your track could use a pass with some noise cleaning--just a little fuzz in the background there. You indicated that you are familiar with using Audacity, but yell if you need some assistance.

So, Jack, upload the edited file using the same file name, post the link along with the new track length here in this thread again--and then I'll take another quick look at it. Let us know if you have any questions--we'll be happy to help. :)


NOTE to Kristine--Jack has used the shortened disclaimer on this final short section, but I guess it's not a problem since the prior soloist's sections do use it--? (The instructions still show the shortened disclaimer as an option if you're OK with that.)
Kind regards,
Lucretia

Kalamareader
Posts: 210
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 6:31 pm
Location: Kalama, WA

Post by Kalamareader » July 16th, 2019, 7:19 pm


Kalamareader
Posts: 210
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 6:31 pm
Location: Kalama, WA

Post by Kalamareader » July 16th, 2019, 7:27 pm

Hi, :help:

I have a question about chapter 12. There are some 'side notes' at the bottom of some of the pages. Could someone look at them and tell me if I should read them. I don't think so, as it appears to be comments by the compiler rather than by the man himself, but I don't want to make that call, and be wrong. :hmm: Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne

JackLohr
Posts: 11
Joined: July 13th, 2019, 1:02 pm

Post by JackLohr » July 16th, 2019, 8:03 pm

lubee930 wrote:
July 16th, 2019, 2:26 pm
JackLohr wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 12:06 pm
Kikisaulite wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 8:18 am
Added and assigned the section to you. I see you have your test posted, that is good. Please wait with the actual recording until someone has checked and OKed the test, so that the technical things are correct and you don't have to redo.
Otherwise than that, please follow the main rule: have fun! :)
Couldn't wait! If it needs to be re-done, that's part of my learning. It's a very short postscript to The Journal.
Section 13: https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/journalofjohnwoolman_13_woolman_128kb.mp3
--Jack
Hi Jack--I PL'ed your section. You have a very nice voice, your tech specs are all good, no problems with the reading of the text itself. Great job! :thumbs:

The only issue that I'll ask you to address is the beginning silence. If you notice tucked away in the instructions in the first post (easy to miss), it says:
"No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!"--so could you please snip out some of that beginning silence for me? Also, I do think that your track could use a pass with some noise cleaning--just a little fuzz in the background there. You indicated that you are familiar with using Audacity, but yell if you need some assistance.

So, Jack, upload the edited file using the same file name, post the link along with the new track length here in this thread again--and then I'll take another quick look at it. Let us know if you have any questions--we'll be happy to help. :)


NOTE to Kristine--Jack has used the shortened disclaimer on this final short section, but I guess it's not a problem since the prior soloist's sections do use it--? (The instructions still show the shortened disclaimer as an option if you're OK with that.)
Thanks, Lucretia. I've shortened the starting silence, and applied noise reduction.
It lists at 4:36 and should be at the same location https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/journalofjohnwoolman_13_woolman_128kb.mp3
Kristine, If you want me to add a longer disclaimer, I'm happy to do it.
--Jack

lubee930
Posts: 4526
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO, USA

Post by lubee930 » July 17th, 2019, 4:29 pm

JackLohr wrote:
July 16th, 2019, 8:03 pm
Thanks, Lucretia. I've shortened the starting silence, and applied noise reduction.
It lists at 4:36 and should be at the same location https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/journalofjohnwoolman_13_woolman_128kb.mp3
Kristine, If you want me to add a longer disclaimer, I'm happy to do it.
--Jack
Hi again, Jack--I took a look at your new file, but I see no difference between the old/new files. Are you sure that you uploaded the edited file--? :)

You know, many of us who record here at Librivox use a very helpful tool called "Checker" on our tracks (myself included). It is a free program that you can download. It gives you information on the volume and other technical details (including the background noise level) so you can confirm that your file is within specs before uploading it. If interested, you can find information about downloading Checker and a neat video about how to use it here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker.

Anyway, let me know about the edited file. Thanks!
Kind regards,
Lucretia

lubee930
Posts: 4526
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO, USA

Post by lubee930 » July 17th, 2019, 4:46 pm

lubee930 wrote:
July 17th, 2019, 4:29 pm
JackLohr wrote:
July 16th, 2019, 8:03 pm
Thanks, Lucretia. I've shortened the starting silence, and applied noise reduction.
It lists at 4:36 and should be at the same location https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/journalofjohnwoolman_13_woolman_128kb.mp3
Kristine, If you want me to add a longer disclaimer, I'm happy to do it.
--Jack
Hi again, Jack--I took a look at your new file, but I see no difference between the old/new files. Are you sure that you uploaded the edited file--? :)
You know, many of us who record here at Librivox use a very helpful tool called "Checker" on our tracks (myself included). It is a free program that you can download. It gives you information on the volume and other technical details (including the background noise level) so you can confirm that your file is within specs before uploading it. If interested, you can find information about downloading Checker and a neat video about how to use it here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker.
Anyway, let me know about the edited file. Thanks!

O.K., so now we may have to get Kristine involved behind the scenes. :shock: When I download Wayne's Section 10, it turns out that it is Jack's corrected Section 13. (And it does have the beginning silence corrected and the noise reduced, so it is the edited file.) So maybe, Jack, you uploaded the file with a "10" in the filename instead of a "13"--? Or who knows what happened. Some server hiccup somewhere. But no worries. Kristine can take a look behind the scenes and get things straightened out. All of the files should still be there and can be correctly named and linked in the MW. I will wait to hear what she has to say. :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia

PhyllisV
Posts: 113
Joined: January 7th, 2019, 2:22 pm

Post by PhyllisV » July 18th, 2019, 9:50 am

Chapter 7:
journalofjohnwoolman_01_woolman_128kb.mp3
35:16

Post Reply