COMPLETE The Idiot (Part 03 and 04) - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Well, if you want to use this thread, then we can get started. I'll MC this one for you, Jan! As soon as you see this, we can move over to Going Solo.

As far as the issues with the sections that have notes, what would you like to do?

And, do you want to advertise for a DPL, or wait to see if someone will pop in?
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Thanks Ann! I appreciate your presence as MC.
Shall we see if someone pops in?
And--I'd like to re-record starting with Chapter 8--re-do the chapters that have notes.
Will that work?
Jan
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

That works for me! So, with that, we're moving other to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Excellent! Between now and late July, I'll be prepping to start.
Again, thanks!
Jan
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Hi

If you still need a DPL, I'd like to volunteer. (Possibly working off some of the guilt I feel about giving up halfway through? :oops: )

Best wishes
Martin
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Martin, if this decision is up to me, I would be honored to have you as DPL. Your reading of Parts 1 and 2 was so very impressive, and I imagine you will recognize errors in my reading that another Proof Listener might not notice--which I would appreciate. Do we need Ann to agree? (Besides, anyone working off guilt will be sure to come through!)
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Who your DPL is is your choice, although I have been known to take the liberty of accepting for the reader! :shock: All I need to do is to put Martin in, and then he is good to go!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Sold! Welcome, Martin!
I welcome feedback!
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Thanks, Ann and Jan. The Prince is such an endearing character, though distressingly doomed. I look forward to renewing his acquaintance.

Very best,
Martin
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Martin, I just began listening to Part II of your delightful Librivox version last night. Absolutely loving it!
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Chapter 8 recorded and edited and ready for upload.
However, I am stumped on the titling of the file. I tried to match what's already been uploaded even though uploading instructions give a different file name. Once the file was uploaded, it returned the following address to me:

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/httpslibrivox.orguploadsabandonedidiotidiot(part03and04)_08_dostoyevsky_128kb_.mp3

And this doesn't look right. So, I haven't saved it in the Magic Window. Awaiting further assistance.
Thanks!
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

The file name does not have to match what the old soloist did. Plus, the files that are in the MW are in the abandoned folder. I think I will move those later, just so that I know exactly where everything is. But, as far as the file name, try something like idiot0304_08_dostoyevsky_128kb It is a little bit simpler, and I don't really know if the uploader allows ( ) in the file name. I guess it did in the old uploader, since there are there but we should just take them out to be on the safe side. And, make sure you upload into my icequeen folder.

ETA: And, this link doesn't work, so we can't use it anyway!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Thanks so much!
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/idiot0304_08_dostoyevsky_128kb.mp3

Martin, in 3-4 spots there's a muffled thump like a bumped microphone. If it's distracting, I'll re-record those spots. I didn't notice it until the final edit and sometimes trying to fix those makes a bigger mess than leaving them alone. I have now repositioned my chair and mike so that won't happen in future.

Hoping my voice, injured by laryngitis in June, will smooth out in the coming weeks!

Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Hallo Jan

I did not hear any bumps at all. The entire chapter was beautifully rendered and PL OK. You captured the mercurial temperament of Aglaya very well indeed.

Best
Martin