COMPLETE The Idiot (Part 03 and 04) - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Oh wonderful! :-) Thanks so much, Martin. It was fun to read her!
I will now move forward on the next two chapters.
Jan
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Section 10 PL all OK, and outstandingly well read. I admire your reading quite as much as you were kind enough to praise mine. This book, with its weird mixture of slapstick comedy, absurdist black humour, and doomed psychosis, can be read in many ways. Your fluent rendering will please those listeners who are waiting to complete their audio experience of the novel, I am convinced. When you arrive at the appallingly horrific concluding chapters, I hope you will slow down a bit and register your own reaction to the events described; which I think are the most terrifying in all literature.

Very best
Martin
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Ooh, Martin--thanks so much for the praise and the suggestion about the final chapters. I dread the horrific ending at which you hint. Poor Prince Muishkin! He is such a sweetheart!

(And--because I've had this suggestion in times past--should I possibly slow down earlier too? Just checking....)

Happy weekend in or near Surrey!
Sincerely,
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/idiot0304_11_dostoyevsky_128kb.mp3

Chapter 1 of Part 4 has been uploaded. By the way, I think I'll bump into a file naming protocol issue when I get to Chapter 10 of Part 4 since it will look the same as Chapter 10 of Part 3. Perhaps calling it Chapter 10a and then Chapter 11a will handle this?

Thanks everyone! I'll be leaving for about a month as of the 21st--back in late September. Don't think I've "funked!"

Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Actually, you should be using the section numbers for the file names, not the chapter numbers. So, what you have uploaded as part 4 chapter 1 should be section 11, not section 1. That way, we won't have that problem when we have duplicate chapter numbers in different parts of the same book. I will fix the file name when I switch computers, so there is no need to upload the file again.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Okay! Thanks Ann.
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Greetings!
Martin, FYI, Part 4 Chapter 1 is ready for PL. I had hoped to post Part 4 Chapter 2 this week but am struggling with my voice, making it difficult to dub in a couple of small corrections. We are off for a tour of the British Columbia coastline then on up to Alaska, leaving Aug. 21st. If I cannot post before we leave, I will be back at it by the end of September. I love this book and this project, so don't put it back into Abandoned Projects while I'm gone! :shock:
Happy last weeks of summer, Ann and Martin.
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Hi Jan

Latest chapter fluently PL OK. It is a wonderfully inhabitable sort of novel, isn't it? There is such a densely involuted portrayal of the involvement of the characters' in each others' lives.

I hope you enjoy your northern progress. I'm having a rather placid time, walking the Norfolk terrier (Princess Muffin, the great love of my old age).

Best wishes
Martin
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Dear Martin,
Thank you for the PL Okay with compliment. Love this book!
Love the picture of you with Princess Muffin too. We had our own version of Princess Muffin (aka "Dog Daughter"). We miss her terribly even to this day. Love and enjoy her: They should ALL be immortal.
Warmly,
Jan
P.S. I'll be back!
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/idiot0304_12_dostoyevsky_128kb.mp3

Okay--Chapter 2, Part 4 uploaded.
And NOW I'm gone for sure for four weeks.
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Section 12 PL OK. Very nicely argued. :) These ludicrously-escalating family conflicts are what make this a great comic novel, I think. You certainly 'gave it welly', as we Brits say.

Best - and enjoy your expedition -
Martin
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

I'm back and here's Track 13 for PL.
I noticed that Track 12 still says PL Pending but I know you did it already, Martin.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/idiot0304_13_dostoyevsky_128kb.mp3

Happy Fall!
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Hi Jan

Autumn certainly makes its presence felt in rural Surrey, where trees outnumber people by about a million to one. The tiny terrier is constantly surveying the branches for squirrels. :)

Chapter 13 fluently PL OK. Alcoholic-symbiotic friendships like that of the General and Lebedyev are so familiar in real life.

Best
Martin
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Oh to be in rural Surrey
Now that Fall is here!

Thank you, Martin! And indeed, the portraits in words in this book are so hauntingly familiar.

Now back to my struggle in Chapter 4 to pronounce French phrases (1st problem) in the General's gruff voice (2nd problem)!

My best,
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse