COMPLETE The Idiot (Part 03 and 04) - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

Catching up on PL'ing:

Section 08:

Intro is missing "Translated by Eva M. Martin".

@ 7:47 the text "she added, almost angrily." is omitted.
@ 13:51 - 13:55 A very pronounced sound like that of running water or escaping steam can be heard.
@ 16:16 repeat of the word "How?"
@ 18:35 - 18:40 noise like running water can be heard again.
@ 24:01 Stumble on the words "at peace"
@ 27:30 Stumble and repeat of the words "and tries to see me"

Section 09: Background noise is gone. Checker is giving a warning about a slight DC Bias, but I cannot detect anything. PL OK :thumbs: , though a second opinion may be desired.

Section 10:

From 3:00 to 3:35 a shuffling noise is heard in the background. Not necessarily distracting.

@ 7:57 Reader reads "... F(OR) that I belong to that class of people ...", the text reads " ... OR that I belong to that class of people ...", could be slight difference in meaning. "For" as used here I take to be the the equivalent of "because" = the result of some cause, i.e. "For God so loved the world,"

@ 11:54 Repeat of "... he had awaked from sleep ..."

@ 14:50 the text indicates 3 repetitions of the word "No", I only hear one.

There is some noise in the silence at the end of the file.

The reader reads very smoothly and her pronunciation of Russian names is impressive. :clap:

Thanks for letting me listen.
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Arnieh wrote:Section 09: Background noise is gone. Checker is giving a warning about a slight DC Bias, but I cannot detect anything. PL OK :thumbs: , though a second opinion may be desired.
I have seen the checker report that before when there isn't any.
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

PL notes for section 11:

Volume of the file is coming in a bit high at 96.6 dB, might wish to de-amplify (amplify with a negative value).

@ 09:47 the reader substitutes a word. The text here reads "Ptitsin will certainly have his reward ...", the reader uses the word "probably" instead of "certainly" which could change the meaning. Certainly and probably mean different things.

@ 14:41 there is a repeat of "'I'm all right', said Varia"

PL notes for section 12:

@ 10:14 several stumbles and repeats of the words "during these"

@ 13:56 the reader reads "extraordinary circumstances" the text reads "ordinary circumstances" difference in meaning.

The reader reads with great passion and expression.

Thanks for letting me listen.
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

PL notes for section 13:

Only one issue here:

@ 07:09 The time is read as "about seven o'clock" the text here reads "about eleven o'clock"

Everything else is good.

Thanks.
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

PL notes for section 15:

@ 20:54 there is a stumble and repeat/correction. The reader reads "at her laughter", then corrects with "at her laughing sisters".

@ 25:41 the reader reads "she is head over heels in love" the text reads "She is head over ears in love", could be a different meaning.

@ 30:55 the reader repeats "No—don't! Stop reading!"

@ 33:27 stumble, reader reads "you won't" then corrects with "you wouldn't"

Overall volume of the file is coming in at bit high at 94.5 dB. May wish to de-amplify.

PL notes for ALL sections:

I wish to make the following observations based upon all the sections I have listened to thus far:

This is a rather difficult assignment for me. I know the standard here is not word perfect, but the reader diverges quite frequently from the text as written. Often omitting words (sometimes several), other times adding words, sometimes reading words in different orders, and further, at other times substituting words.

However, for the most part, these fairly frequent divergences do not necessarily change the meaning of the text, for example: Several times she will omit something like "said the general" or "he said", or some such thing. The reader most certainly puts her own spin on the author's work. She also reads with great passion and feeling, and her reading brings the author's words to life for me, in such a way, that I don't really mind these divergences.

That is about all I can say regarding this. I am happy to continue, but just wanted to express my opinion here. Thanks.
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Still with us, Alia?
Barry
My Recordings
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Moving to Abandoned.
Barry
My Recordings
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Greetings--
I would like to adopt this project, starting with Chapter 8.
I can begin by the end of July. I have some travel time in late August, early September, but will get it started before leaving. I can work at a steady pace and hope to complete by early 2016.
Jan Moorehouse
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Hold the horses a minute:
This project on the Abandoned list seems to have been misfiled. There is another version of this already available in Librivox catalogs. As it's well done, I don't know that another version is really warranted.
Do you have a thought about this? I have been aiming to record works not already available.
Thanks for your help.
Jan
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

No, there is parts 1 and 2 in the catalog. This is parts 3 and 4.

The other complete idiot is by JK Bangs, a different book altogether.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

:oops:
Then I'm still eager to do this project (if I haven't made myself look too stupid!).
Thanks!!
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Would you like to just take over this thread, as it is, or do you want to start a whole new thread?
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

I would be tempted to let the PL Okay chapters stand as is, but if this will be mine, I'll go listen closely to see if the continuity will be adequate.
Thanks for asking that question.
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

That was not what Ann asked :wink:
If you want to take over the project, we more or less assume that you'll use the files already there.

The question is whether you want to start with a new thread and first post (where this Magic Window will be transferred into), which gives you the possibility of editing the first post, but that's all that's different. We can change the summary in the database without that too.
The other option is simply to keep posting in this thread as you have done so far.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Ahhhhhh! Is there a preferred approach?
As for me: Whichever is easiest for everyone involved. I am perfectly fine continuing with the current thread: no restart necessary on my account.
Thank you for the option.
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse