[COMPLETE]The Wonders of the Jungle by Sarath Ghosh - phi

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

The Wonders of the Jungle by Sarath Kumar Ghosh (1878 - 1962) [/b].

This entertaining project is now complete and in our catalog at http://librivox.org/the-wonders-of-the-jungle-by-sarath-kumar-ghosh/
How do elephants drink? What is the Law of the Jungle at the water hole? How does an elephant baby learn to feed and learn to swim? How do they walk under water? In what order do buffaloes drink? How do buffaloes fight the tiger? These and other wild inhabitants of the Indian jungle such as pigs, wild dogs, deer, camels, bears and birds are discussed in lively stories to entertain but mainly educate children of school age. "One of the great thinkers of the world has said that all the sciences are embodied in natural history. Hence natural history should be taught to a child from an early age. Perhaps the best method of teaching it is to set forth the characteristics of animals in the form of a narrative. Then the child reads the narrative with pleasure and almost as a story, not as a tedious "lesson." In this book the animals are described in their daily life, and the main scientific facts and principles concerning each animal are woven into the narrative as a part of that daily life." (Summary by Phil Chenevert and from the Preface)
Volunteers outside the USA: Sarath Kumar Ghosh died in 1962. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, and Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955).
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24852
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ======================================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and readers (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 16
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: no
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarat_Kumar_Ghosh
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    • Date of first publication: 1915
    =======================================================

Genres for the project:
    children

Keywords that describe the book:
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Wonders of the Jungle, The. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " Wonders of the Jungle, The , by Sarath Kumar Ghosh . [Chapter]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Wonders of the Jungle, The , by Sarath Kumar Ghosh . "
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    wondersofthejunglethe_##_ghosh.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. wondersofthejunglethe_01_ghosh.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Sarath Kumar Ghosh
    Album: The Wonders of the Jungle

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: phi - philchenevert
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
pkrantz

Post by pkrantz »

Hello again! And you got me - my heart is with the birds. May I have 15 and 16?
:) Pamela Krantz
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

pkrantz wrote:Hello again! And you got me - my heart is with the birds. May I have 15 and 16?
For you sweet Pamela of course. 15 and 16 are yours. Image
bandbw123

Post by bandbw123 »

Hi Phil,
I would be interested in being the DPL for this project if you do not already have someone signed up.

thanks,
Betsy
(bandbw123)

Thank you Betsy ! Image

I would appreciate that very much. Have you been a DPL before? or should I set you up with a password?
pkrantz

Post by pkrantz »

:) Pamela Krantz
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

thank you Pamela .

Petunia the Perky Penguin (who is of course a bird) Imagewill put this into the Magic Window for proof listening.
bandbw123

Post by bandbw123 »

I am a Dpl so already have the user/password needed.
Thank you for asking!
This just sounds like it will be a delightful
Book to review. 8-)
bandbw123

Post by bandbw123 »

Hi,
Secton 15 and 16 have been listened to and are both OK.
This is a little gem of a book! Just delightful.
:9:
Betsy
Flash

Post by Flash »

i would like to record section 12...The Camel and the Thief by Dolores Gordon
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Flash wrote:i would like to record section 12...The Camel and the Thief by Dolores Gordon
You may have that section Flash and welcome to this project Image If this is your first recording for LibriVox, just follow the instructions in the first post for how to name it and upload. Ask lots of questions and I hope you have fun here.

Oh, what would you like your Catalog name to be? I can use Flash but it can be anything.
CopperWhiteLatte

Post by CopperWhiteLatte »

I would like to record Section 03: The Elephant's Bath, with your permission.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

CopperWhiteLatte wrote:I would like to record Section 03: The Elephant's Bath, with your permission.
Welcome to LibriVox CopperWhiteLatte ! I have assigned you section 3 to read.

But before you do that, please make and upload a 1 minute test so that we can be sure your technical spec are correct. Here is a video How To Make Your 1 minute test and here is a video How To Upload your 1 minute test.

You can post your test recording in this thread to get a faster response; I will see it immediately.

You can also find written instructions in our wiki. and If you have any questions please ask. Here is a useful video too Getting to Know Our Forums

Welcome again Image
CopperWhiteLatte

Post by CopperWhiteLatte »

Thank you very much!

I have taken to uploading the test as instructed, although I actually did so earlier via the 1-Minute_Test Page on your wiki site.

I do know off the bat that I will likely need to amplify my recording as it's fairly soft, but as it instructs on the page I kept the raw recording

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tests/test_copperwhitelatte.mp3

Naturally, any other changes you might recommend I will try and fix accordingly. And this test was a great way to realize-- Golly, I have an unusually strong P. I'll need to work on that.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

CopperWhiteLatte wrote:Thank you very much!

I have taken to uploading the test as instructed, although I actually did so earlier via the 1-Minute_Test Page on your wiki site.

I do know off the bat that I will likely need to amplify my recording as it's fairly soft, but as it instructs on the page I kept the raw recording

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tests/test_copperwhitelatte.mp3

Naturally, any other changes you might recommend I will try and fix accordingly. And this test was a great way to realize-- Golly, I have an unusually strong P. I'll need to work on that.
Actually your test is fine. if that is your raw recording then you are officially cleared for take off and can record as much as your want. :thumbs: Your volume checks out at 87.3 which is within our parameters ( 89 dB plus or minus 3). I was surprised too since the track appears quiet, but hey, obviously it's fine. There is a bit of background noise but easily corrected with Noise REduction.

I did not hear any 'plosives (those P that pop) but if you are worried about them, those can be controlled by moving the mic a bit to the side. Since you asked, I would suggest that you slow down in reading; your voice is clear and very nice to listen to but I found myself wishing you would speak more slowly so I could enjoy it more. Some of the words were rushed. That's all. Have fun with your section and claim a many as you wish. Phil's beanie is spinning Image in anticipation of your recordings.
balaonspace

Post by balaonspace »

Hi Phil
I would like to read
01 - The Midnight Pool

bala
Λ
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens