COMPLETE: Swann's Way by Marcel Proust - choc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kirkmc

Post by kirkmc »

I hadn't realized that they didn't have the other English volumes. They are available from Gutenberg Australia:

http://www.gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty-n-z.html

But I assume the copyright dates being different allow them to have these texts.

I agree that these are essential works, and I'm willing to give it a try to help out for the first parts. We'll see after that whether the texts become legal in the US or not. As for my reading in French, no. While my French is fluent, it really wouldn't be good for someone who is not a native to read something like that. I agree that PD versions should exist, but I wouldn't want to try something like that.

I'm very happy to have stumbled on this project, because I had been wanting to do some reading for a while. And Proust is one of my favorite authors, so this will be very interesting, even if it is in translation.

FWIW, many years ago, when I thought I'd have enough time, I started dallying with my own translation of Proust. I didn't get very far, and posted even less, but it might interest you to have a look:

http://www.mcelhearn.com/transproust.html

One reason I did this was to establish some ground rules for literary translation (you'll see my "principles" on the above page). I worked on these ideas for quite some time, discussing them with other translators.

Kirk
Read my blog: Kirkville, www.mcelhearn.com
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

kirkmc wrote: And Proust is one of my favorite authors, so this will be very interesting, even if it is in translation.

FWIW, many years ago, when I thought I'd have enough time, I started dallying with my own translation of Proust. I didn't get very far, and posted even less, but it might interest you to have a look:

http://www.mcelhearn.com/transproust.html

One reason I did this was to establish some ground rules for literary translation (you'll see my "principles" on the above page). I worked on these ideas for quite some time, discussing them with other translators.

Kirk
How very interesting, your thoughts on translation. I've translated some Neruda, and reading what you wrote brought me back to that process. Thanks.

So for what my opinion is worth, send me a section of Combray or Placenames. I love to give advice ... taking it is only just a little bit
harder!

-denny
kirkmc

Post by kirkmc »

OK, I probably won't be able to start until late this week. But I'll do a short bit and see how it all works, both technically and voice-wise.

Kirk
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Denny -

I'm not sure where the section divisions are in this yet. Do you want to change the Magic Box to show the new reader assignments?
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Caeristhiona wrote:Denny -

I'm not sure where the section divisions are in this yet. Do you want to change the Magic Box to show the new reader assignments?
The sections are "subsections" of the four parts of the book. I broke Overture into 3 parts, and need to look through Swann in Love to see where logical breaks occur that keep the readings around 40-50 minutes. Kirk will need to do the same for his two parts. Once we each decide, we'll be asking you to fix the Window ...

Thanks.

-denny
kirkmc

Post by kirkmc »

FYI, I just ripped the French audiobook of Swann's Way. Here are the timings:

Combray I: 1:51
Combray II: 5:35
Un Amour de Swann: 7:56
Noms de pays : Le Nom: 2:02

I must admit, I find the reading a bit fast, especially compared to the usual speed of audiobooks read in English (which I often feel are read too slowly). But what a pleasure to listen to; this is really a book that benefits from being in audio.

Kirk
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Any updates on this duet?
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Is Kirk still involved? It's 9 months since he was last around. And Denny, are you still on the case?

David
DrEdwardo

Post by DrEdwardo »

earthcalling wrote:Is Kirk still involved? It's 9 months since he was last around. And Denny, are you still on the case?

David
In Search of Lost DSayers :wink:
"Life is too short to repeat hackneyed clichés."
English Andrew

Post by English Andrew »

I haven't recorded before and I don't know whether any chapters are available but I love Proust and I would love to record something if there are any sections available in this or later volumes and if you're prepared to use an English male newbie.
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Hi Andrew,

At the moment, Denny still wants to do the recording, and its down as a solo, sorry.

Worse still, I think its the only thing in English by Proust that's in the public domain.

Sorry to be a killjoy.

Cheers,
Carl.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
English Andrew

Post by English Andrew »

Dear Carl

Thanks for getting back to me. Good luck with the project, anyway. I look forward to listening to it and I look forward to the time when Within a Budding Grove and the rest become public domain.

Andrew
CarlManchester wrote:Hi Andrew,

At the moment, Denny still wants to do the recording, and its down as a solo, sorry.

Worse still, I think its the only thing in English by Proust that's in the public domain.

Sorry to be a killjoy.

Cheers,
Carl.
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

English Andrew wrote:Dear Carl

Thanks for getting back to me. Good luck with the project, anyway. I look forward to listening to it and I look forward to the time when Within a Budding Grove and the rest become public domain.

Andrew
CarlManchester wrote:Hi Andrew,

Sorry to be a killjoy.

Cheers,
Carl.
Hello Carl and Andrew:

I'm back from recovering from cardiac surgery, and doing a lot of recording.

Andrew, I think this can be a shared project. Would you be interested in doing the Combray sections? I've already done the Overture, and would like to keep the closing section, Swann in Love (the real reason I took on this project)!

I think having the Combray section read by another reader will lend a welcome variety to the recording.

-denny
[u][url=http://tinyurl.com/MyLVReadings][color=purple][size=84]Projects Completed & In Progress[/size][/color][/url][/u].
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Okay, I have moved to Readers Wanted.

Denny: I've left you the Swann in Love sections and also the Place Names sections. Is this right?

Cheers,
Carl.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

CarlManchester wrote:Okay, I have moved to Readers Wanted.

Denny: I've left you the Swann in Love sections and also the Place Names sections. Is this right?

Cheers,
Carl.
Actually, having another reader for Place Names would be best, giving another alternate voicing.

Thanks Carl.

-denny
[u][url=http://tinyurl.com/MyLVReadings][color=purple][size=84]Projects Completed & In Progress[/size][/color][/url][/u].