[COMPLETE] The Children's Bible by Henry A Sherman - sj

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Raybrite

Post by Raybrite »

The Children's Bible by Henry A. Sherman ( - ) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on the archive.org page: http://archive.org/details/childrensbible_1308_librivox

When the new catalog is launched, the files can be found on this catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-childrens-bible-by-henry-a-sherman/

This is a Book of Children's Bible Stories. (Summary by Kenneth Coon)
  • Target completion date: 2014-Jul-01
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/23580
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Children's Bible . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Children's Bible , by Henry A. Sherman . [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Children's Bible by Henry A. Sherman . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Children's Bible , by Henry A. Sherman . "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    childrensbible_##_sherman.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. childrensbible_01_sherman.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Henry A. Sherman
    Album: The Children's Bible

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: sj - smijen
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Raybrite

Post by Raybrite »

There are actually two authors listed for this book The other is Charles Foster Kent (1867-1925)
I had a birth date and death for Henry A. Sherman of 1545-1610 but that didn't match with the date of the book which was copyrighted in 1922 by the Dept of Religious Literature Charles Schribner's Sons of which this one was the Head. (?)
Either way, www.Gutenberg.com is the source for the book and it is considered public domain there.
KenC :)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

They are very small sections - each file would almost have more into and outro than story. It was suggested in the suggestion thread that there could be 5 or so stories per file ?

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

We discussed in PM's, and I said that had I done it as a group project, I was going to do it one section per story. :)

As I said in the PM, I can't MC right now. But if no one MC's it in a week or so, I'll MC it.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
FabulaeAudi

Post by FabulaeAudi »

May I please be DPL? :)
Abigail
Raybrite

Post by Raybrite »

The way the stories are laid out in the Book, they do not fit into 4-5 story sections.
I wrote out the Table of Contents last night and it turned out that there are 217 Chapters.
I only found one that ws a very short one and I think it will be about 2-3 minutes at the shortest without the in and out.
The project I am doing now has sections of 3-6 minutes for most of them.
I will begin recording probably today or tomorrow to see how long they actually are. I should know then.
The Bible is a very long book and thee are many stories in it. This book is very long also. I have read the first six stories and it took me awhile. They look like some of the stories I am recording now in length.
I can do this one and keep it organized better this way.
I hope everyone understands.
Ken :)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm fine with it if you had considered it as a option- trouble with PM discussions is that no one else knows what is going on :D

Anne
Raybrite

Post by Raybrite »

That's very true.
I did notice that when I coounted the chapters and added them up, I came up with 208 but when I ctually wrote them all out last night I ended up with 217. There are a few that i could combine into one Chapter but they would be a Chapter with several titles in it and the Chapter Title would be a section like "From the Creation to Noah" or something like that. It would make it a nightmare to keep track of.
I think it will settle itself when I begin making the recordings later this week.
The Book of Nature Myths went a lot faster than I thought. I thought it would be April of next year and I am finishing it up in a bit over a month.
This will be my largest project so far.
NOTE: I wanted this recording to be something that my children and their Children could use to hear their Father and Grandfather's voice after I die. I am 72 now.
catrose

Post by catrose »

Raybrite wrote: I wanted this recording to be something that my children and their Children could use to hear their Father and Grandfather's voice after I die. I am 72 now.
That's so so so super sweet, Ray. I know you're children and grandchildren will love it! Also, my Emily and I can't wait to hear this finished :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
smijen

Post by smijen »

Raybrite wrote:The Book of Nature Myths went a lot faster than I thought. I thought it would be April of next year and I am finishing it up in a bit over a month.
Yes, your DPLers (both the 3-year-old and the grown-up) are having trouble keeping up with you. ;)
Good luck with your new project, Ken!
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
smijen

Post by smijen »

Hi again, Ken,
I can MC this if you like. I was skimming through the thread too quickly before and thought Tricia had already volunteered. Please go ahead and upload to my folder whenever you have sections ready. I'll get the MW set up asap.
smijen

Post by smijen »

MW set up. We can fiddle with the number of sections if needed, but I am going away tonight so won't be checking back until later.
Raybrite

Post by Raybrite »

I won't be reading there for awhile but I ran into a challenge last night while reading the Book.
In the story where Jacob wrestles with either an Angel of God, it never mentions that the Angel was there. It says he was alone in the camp and he wrestled with one all night.
I could just read it this way or if permissible add a note that an Angel had visited him.
Is the note permissible?
I plan to finish up the other project today. I only have four Chapters to clean up.
After that I will work on the MW here.
I have someone on here who wanted to listen to it as a DPL already so I guess this one is set to begin.
Ken :clap:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I just looked at the text. It says "one" wrestled with him.

It is debated whether it was an angel or a theophany (an appearance of Jesus in the Old Testament), so for that theological reason it's best not to way whom it was.

From the LV policy perspective, we do not add or subtract from the text, so a reader's note would be inappropriate. ;)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
FabulaeAudi

Post by FabulaeAudi »

Raybrite wrote: I wanted this recording to be something that my children and their Children could use to hear their Father and Grandfather's voice after I die. I am 72 now.
I agree with Cat, this is very sweet, Ken. I am very much looking forwarding to listening to these stories. I have a couple younger siblings who I know will enjoy them as well.
Happy Recording!
Abigail