COMPLETE: Anne's House of Dreams by L.M. Montgomery - al

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
downey8kids

Post by downey8kids »

Elizabby wrote:Owen Ford Chapters 23, 24, 25, 36, 38 PL OK :clap: Very nice reading - and *so* romantic! :9:

Chapter 26 is the only one needing a couple of little corrections.

- at 00:30 there is a very long pause in the middle of the speech (about 3 seconds). This is too long, even for a natural break in speaking. About one second is the most - otherwise it sounds like something has gone wrong with the recording.

- at 3:29 the name is usually pronounced "Da-NAY" (Danae) This is a reference to the Greek myth of the mother of Perseus who was seduced by Zeus in the form of a shower of gold coins. She opened her lap for the coins - and so Perseus was born!

Also, there is no voice credit. That's the bit where you say "Owen Ford is read by (your Librivox catalogue name)". It would usually be at the start of your first file, but if you are going to edit Chapter 26 anyway you can probably just add it in at the start of that one.
Thanks for the encouragement. Always appreciated. I will gladly make the changes. Before I do, I thought I would mention that all the online dictionaries and sources I checked had Danae with a long e sound at the end (kinda like when I found out Hermione Granger was pronounced with a long e sound--so much prettier that wa :D y). Please confirm that you want that change made.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

downey8kids wrote:
elizabby wrote wrote:the name is usually pronounced "Da-NAY" (Danae)
all the online dictionaries and sources I checked had Danae with a long e sound at the end
I don't know about online dictionaries - it's a Greek name, so (IMO as a Greek speaker) it should either be "Da-nay" (sounds like hay) or "Da-nai" (sounds like eye). I can live with the stress on either syllable - in Greek the stress would usually be on the first syllable but English speakers tend to say it with the stress on the second, and without stress markers from the Greek text it is impossible to be sure. (I realize "classics" and Latin scholars insist on pronouncing the "e" as a separate syllable but in Greek a dipthong is not usually pronounced that way. I have no idea what LM Montgomery would have used...)

Arielle, verdict please? How would you like "Danae" pronounced? (It needs to be re-recorded whatever you choose, as it currently sounds like there is a hiccup or something in the middle.)
downey8kids

Post by downey8kids »

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/al/anneshouseofdreams_26_owenford_.mp3

added voice credit at beginning
removed pause
pronounced name as Da NAY

Really enjoyed this part. Can't wait to hear it all put together.
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

The Encyclopedia Mythica has it as three syllables but I think it could go either way. Don't worry too much about it. :)

http://www.pantheon.org/miscellaneous/pronunciations.html
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

Between being a full-time college student and working 20+ hours per week, I'm not able to be involved at LV these days, but I remain a loyal fan and look forward to a triumphant return sometime in the (probably distant) future.
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Excellent! Thanks, Eden.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Diana Barry is PL OK! :thumbs:
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Chapter 4 is up!
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to withdraw from this. My life is just insane right now, and I have no idea when it will calm down.
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Thanks for letting me know, Kristin!
mom_of_nine

Post by mom_of_nine »

I would be happy to take on the role of Miss Cornelia.
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

mom_of_nine wrote:I would be happy to take on the role of Miss Cornelia.
So sorry, but it's been claimed by PM!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

wildemoose wrote:Chapter 4 is up!
Completed Chapter 4 is PL OK! Ah, I love weddings! :9:
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Anne chapters through 14 are now posted.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

wildemoose wrote:Anne chapters through 14 are now posted.
Um, remind me - was I supposed to be PLing Anne separately, or as part of the finished chapters?