Waifs and Strays by O. Henry - phi

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Waifs and Strays by O Henry (1862 - 1910) .

:clap: YEA!! This project is complete and can be found in our catalog at http://librivox.org/waifs-and-strays-by-o-henry/

These 12 O. Henry stories all deal with waifs and strays in one way or another; people who have somehow become adrift in the current of life. Will they find their way on their own or be helped by kind hearted folk or perhaps, stay a waif and stray, somehow outside the normal life of society? All naturally have the wonderful O. Henry beautiful way with words and people. So if you like to wrap your mouth around some sensuous sounds and flowing phrases give one of these a try. O. Henry can be challenging to read but the results are rewarding. And of course the endings cannot ever be predicted. Ever! (Summary by Phil Chenevert)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2295
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ======================================================
    Thanks to our Dedicated Proof Listener Elizabby
    =======================================================

Genres for the project:
    short-stories

Keywords that describe the book:
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Waifs and Strays. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " Waifs and Strays , by O Henry . [Chapter]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Waifs and Strays , by O Henry . "
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    waifsandstrays_##_henry.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. waifsandstrays_01_henry.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: O Henry
    Album: Waifs and Strays

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: phi - philchenevert
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Snapdragon

Post by Snapdragon »

Offering myself for section 3.
Thanks!
Snapdragon

Remember those who served!
http://www.dogtaghistory.com
cynm1788

Post by cynm1788 »

O [Merciful Heavens Above YES pleeeze] Henry: if there's an author I can imagine enjoying more than Montaigne, it's this guy.

Please, if it isn't too sacrilegious a request (for a female reader), let me tackle Section 12 - The Snow Man.

Hoping for the best: thank you, Phil! :9:
\\//_ -- cyn
____
"Computer: end program." - var.

"Here, this is not my doctrine, 'tis my study;"

"Word of the day"
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

cynm1788 wrote:O [Merciful Heavens Above YES pleeeze] Henry: if there's an author I can imagine enjoying more than Montaigne, it's this guy.

Please, if it isn't too sacrilegious a request (for a female reader), let me tackle Section 12 - The Snow Man.

Hoping for the best: thank you, Phil! :9:
Great to have you aboard Cynthia. I see you appreciate the convoluted style of Porter too. GREAT and yes you may have section 12, (I think that's one of the best personally). Image
EDIT: I think you should read the editorial remarks about the story being finished after his death from his dictated notes, but will leave it to your judgment. They can be left out, put before the story or after the story.
cynm1788

Post by cynm1788 »

Before we get too wrapped up in our own excitements, please remember to notice there's another request, just above mine. But as you were saying:
philchenevert wrote:I think you should read the editorial remarks
I'm so happy you think so. And by the time I actually start recording, I ought to be able to read them without *weeping*! Now, don't worry if I don't get this finished by, like, tonight. First off, weekends don't customarily lend themselves to LibriVox activities, in my little world. Second, I'm breaking in a new microphone, and I'm still distracted by its newness & sensitivity. Both of the recordings I've made with it so far have been somewhat too poppy & whuffy, reminding me of the last time we "worked together" [your A. A. Milne project], only maybe worse. But I've just finished crocheting a "wig" for it, and it's just totally cute; here's hoping it's functional, too.

Sorry for straying off-topic, Phil. I'll have that section for you in a couple of days, life permitting! :thumbs:
\\//_ -- cyn
____

"Word of the day"
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Snapdragon wrote:Offering myself for section 3.
And your offering has been accepted, Snapdragon. :thumbs: Enjoy section 3 .
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

cynm1788 wrote:Before we get too wrapped up in our own excitements, please remember to notice there's another request, just above mine. But as you were saying:
philchenevert wrote:I think you should read the editorial remarks
I'm so happy you think so. And by the time I actually start recording, I ought to be able to read them without *weeping*! Now, don't worry if I don't get this finished by, like, tonight. First off, weekends don't customarily lend themselves to LibriVox activities, in my little world. Second, I'm breaking in a new microphone, and I'm still distracted by its newness & sensitivity. Both of the recordings I've made with it so far have been somewhat too poppy & whuffy, reminding me of the last time we "worked together" [your A. A. Milne project], only maybe worse. But I've just finished crocheting a "wig" for it, and it's just totally cute; here's hoping it's functional, too.

Sorry for straying off-topic, Phil. I'll have that section for you in a couple of days, life permitting! :thumbs:
Time is certainly not too important Cynthia; take a month or so if you need it. and thanks for pointing out the claim by Snapdragon; I did not receive an email notice about it and overlooked it. Ah yes, I remember the Milne project; I had not seen your exciting name in my projects since then and was wondering if all was well so it is very nice to have you join this one. Image
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

If you think an Aussie voice would do for such classically American stories, I'd like to try my hand at a short one - perhaps "Hearts and Hands" in Section 7? (or is it chapter 7?) If you just want American voices, I'm sure I can find something else to read while I wait for another dramatic part to come up! ;)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Elizabby wrote:If you think an Aussie voice would do for such classically American stories, I'd like to try my hand at a short one - perhaps "Hearts and Hands" in Section 7? (or is it chapter 7?) If you just want American voices, I'm sure I can find something else to read while I wait for another dramatic part to come up! ;)
Oh PLEASE, PLEASE read section 7 :clap: These stories are beyond borders and your delightful accent would only add to their beauty. (If I can read Tie Me Kangroo Down, you can read O. Henry!) You are down for that one and take as many as y ou wish. Here are some flowers for you Image

PS. We are still looking for a DPL, that is why it is still in the Launch Pad.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

philchenevert wrote: We are still looking for a DPL, that is why it is still in the Launch Pad.
Oh, if that's your only problem, I can help with that! These stories are great - I'd be happy to DPL them! (Just don't tell anyone I've never read O. Henry before! ;) )

Also, you might have to help with some pronunciation of the Spanish/Mexican words. I saw "Mucho Calor" and "mesquite" appear a few times. Is that "mes-kweet" or more like "mes-kweet-ay"? Or neither? French words I can manage, but Spanish is not my home turf at all...

(Just in terms of full disclosure, I usually DPL on my computer speakers not through headphones so it is a text check and not very discriminating on technical/sound issues. Some MCs don't like that so I just wanted to mention it. I'm working on getting some headphones but it will probably be at least another month before that happens and might be as long as the end of the year. I'm entitled to get some free headphones from work, but I missed the last batch order! "Bumpers" as my daughter would say...)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Elizabby wrote:
philchenevert wrote: We are still looking for a DPL, that is why it is still in the Launch Pad.
Oh, if that's your only problem, I can help with that! These stories are great - I'd be happy to DPL them! (Just don't tell anyone I've never read O. Henry before! ;) )
Your offer is accepted! Thanks. And your secret is safe with me; no one will every know that you haven't read O. Henry before. Mum is the word.
Also, you might have to help with some pronunciation of the Spanish/Mexican words. I saw "Mucho Calor" and "mesquite" appear a few times. Is that "mes-kweet" or more like "mes-kweet-ay"? Or neither? French words I can manage, but Spanish is not my home turf at all...
In standard proof listening, the good news is that you are not responsible at ALL for pronunciation. Aint that neat? (it is Mess-keet by the way) The reader is responsible for pronunciation, you just listen for stuff that may make the listener go 'huh?' like bumps, long silences, repeats. The DPL doesn't care about accent, style, pronunciation. Here is a video I made Proof Listening 101.
(Just in terms of full disclosure, I usually DPL on my computer speakers not through headphones so it is a text check and not very discriminating on technical/sound issues. Some MCs don't like that so I just wanted to mention it. I'm working on getting some headphones but it will probably be at least another month before that happens and might be as long as the end of the year. I'm entitled to get some free headphones from work, but I missed the last batch order! "Bumpers" as my daughter would say...)
That is fine with me. I appreciate anything you can do. O. Henry loves the play of words and phrasing so enjoy.
If you decide not to be DPL, just let me know but I hope y ou can do it. Image
EDIT: I will proof listen to your section. Just remind me because I forget.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Excellent - let's do it! There seems to be some variation in what BCs and MCs like then - I'll go watch your video now that I finally have enough bandwidth to do that! I used to find videos too "crunchy" on my old computer - you'd know better than I would why that might happen. But my new one seems able to cope better.

Just saw PL 101 - you have a cute accent yourself! Where are you from?

Also, is there a video on Word Perfect PLing? The first 3 videos stress that they are NOT about Word Perfect PLing, but there doesn't seem to be one that is...
cynm1788

Post by cynm1788 »

Never mind my technical issues, this was a marvelous experience; thanks, Phil:

Section: 12 - The Snow Man
URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/phi/waifsandstrays_12_henry.mp3
Length: 52:35

As for what's been keeping us apart since Milne, well, nothing in particular along with everything else I've been doing in these first four :!: months. For all the projects I have been able to participate in, how many more have I had to watch succeed without me!

Thanks, again, for this one. :clap:
\\//_ -- cyn
____

"Word of the day"
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Elizabby wrote:Excellent - let's do it! There seems to be some variation in what BCs and MCs like then - I'll go watch your video now that I finally have enough bandwidth to do that! I used to find videos too "crunchy" on my old computer - you'd know better than I would why that might happen. But my new one seems able to cope better.

Just saw PL 101 - you have a cute accent yourself! Where are you from?

Also, is there a video on Word Perfect PLing? The first 3 videos stress that they are NOT about Word Perfect PLing, but there doesn't seem to be one that is...
I'm VERY glad to hear I have a cute accent! Thanks. Raised in New Orleans and still live in Louisiana.

Nope. Never even thought about a Word Perfect PLing video. I just assumed that, in addition to the other stuff, you need to follow along with the text to see that it matches exactly. (which is why I've only ever done it once; it is too exacting for my laid back mentality and drove me crazy looking at each word. whew! ). But if you think it would be useful, I'll make one. Image
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

cynm1788 wrote:Never mind my technical issues, this was a marvelous experience; thanks, Phil:
Section: 12 - The Snow Man
URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/phi/waifsandstrays_12_henry.mp3
Length: 52:35
As for what's been keeping us apart since Milne, well, nothing in particular along with everything else I've been doing in these first four :!: months. For all the projects I have been able to participate in, how many more have I had to watch succeed without me!

Thanks, again, for this one. :clap:
And thank YOU for this very long section. Elton our Dancing Elephant will delicately place it into the Magic Window for proofingImage. Note that there are a few more stories available for even more potential experiences.

Technical issues? You have technical issues? Image