COMPLETE: Critique of Pure Reason by Immanuel Kant - NF/ct

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman » November 24th, 2006, 11:43 am

This project is now complete. All files may be downloaded from our website: http://librivox.org/the-critique-of-pure-reason-by-immanuel-kant/

The Critique of Pure Reason by Immanuel Kant. [Translated by J. M. D. Meiklejohn].
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the blue number, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: April 22nd, 2007 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    eBooks@Adelaide: http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/k/kant/immanuel/k16p/
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! Approximate word count in parentheses. There is a link to each individual section of text in the "Notes" column.

This text was chosen (over Gutenberg and others) due to its superior online readability. However, that comes at a cost that the link can only take you to the first page of your section. TO SEE WHERE YOUR SECTION ENDS, PLEASE CLICK ON THE NEXT SECTION'S LINK.

edit me

Kant has a somewhat well deserved reputation for being one of the most difficult philosophers to understand. PLEASE TAKE CARE TO READ THE TEXT SLOWLY AND TO MAKE A DEFINITE PAUSE BETWEEN SENTENCES. Please also note that we have the good fortune of having a bone fide Professor of Philosophy on the team (d.e.wittkower), who has made the following generous offer:

I will be glad to provide recordings of standard pronunciation of technical terms, and confirm or deny suspected typos. In addition to my professional familiarity, I also have a pre-1923 printed copy of Meiklejohn's translation and access to the German text as well. If you PM me, I will post pronounced words to the primary thread, and will PM typo confirmation/correction/denial.
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Critique of Pure Reason, by Immanuel Kant. [Chapter]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Critique of Pure Reason, by Immanuel Kant."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    critique_of_pure_reason _##_kant.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your two-digit section number.

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title] (e.g. 02 - Transcendental Aesthetic)
    Artist: Immanuel Kant
    Album: The Critique of Pure Reason

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Files can either be posted here in the forum (link to your webspace) or emailed via http://yousendit.com to: mc2@fastmail.net (if you use yousendit, it's helpful if you'll post the resulting link in this thread)

If you have trouble with yousendit, try http://mediafire.com/ or use Kayray's uploader:
    http://librivox.kayray.org
    password: vox

I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    - your name as you want it to appear in the LibriVox catalog,
    - your webpage URL (if applicable)
    - the runtime of the recording in format hh:mm:ss
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Ticktockman on November 28th, 2006, 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
[color=darkblue][size=92][i]Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.[/i] -- Henry James[/size][/color]

JemmaBlythe

Post by JemmaBlythe » November 24th, 2006, 1:03 pm

I'd love to record Sections 3 and 10. Cheers - JemmaBlythe

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » November 24th, 2006, 1:41 pm

Wow, nicely organized! I'll MC this for you Ticktockman, but I have to go out now. Hold tight till I get back and then I'll get you all fixed up and ready to go :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman » November 24th, 2006, 3:23 pm

Kara & Jemma,

WOW! Thanks for jumping on this!

Jemma, I'll sign you up as soon as Kara gives me the go ahead. A few of us have been discussing CPR on the "Suggestions" board, and d.e. had volunteered for 10-12, but I'm guessing he would be OK with 11 & 12 (d.e., let us know). Section 3 is definitely yours.

Other tentatively assigned sections are:

02 (CarlManchester)
06, 13 (Caeristhiona)

This is going to ROCK!

Thanks again, TTM
[color=darkblue][size=92][i]Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.[/i] -- Henry James[/size][/color]

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » November 24th, 2006, 3:37 pm

Ok Ticktock, you're all set. I went ahead and entered jemma's chapters but you can change those if necessary. Hit the little "edit me" link below the Magic Window, and use the log-in information and instructions I'm about to send you via PM.

I changed your filename and ID3 schemes very slightly to conform better with our system :)

If you don't have server space to store the files temporarily (for proof listening, etc.) feel free to use my uploader (link added to first post).

Please let me know if you have any problems or questions. Happy reading!
Kara
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman » November 24th, 2006, 4:08 pm

Kara,

Thanks for the editing. I've updated the master scheme according to my understanding of previously posted reading desires.

I have space to listen to files, though I don't know how to make them public (if this is needed).

ttyl, TTM

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » November 24th, 2006, 4:23 pm

Ticktockman wrote:Kara,

Thanks for the editing. I've updated the master scheme according to my understanding of previously posted reading desires.

I have space to listen to files, though I don't know how to make them public (if this is needed).

ttyl, TTM
Well, if you want help with proof-listening, you'll need to make the files available for download on the internet somewhere. Just shove them into my uploader as you receive them and we can take it from there.
Kara
--------

CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester » November 24th, 2006, 5:35 pm

Ticktockman wrote: This is going to ROCK!
Oh yes.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.

Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona » November 25th, 2006, 11:21 pm

I'm back!!!

Well, gee, Kara, I was going to MC this project, but seeing as you're all over my action I guess I'll just have to sign up for my sections. :D I'll take the ones that I already said I wanted.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » November 26th, 2006, 1:21 am

Caeristhiona wrote:I'm back!!!

Well, gee, Kara, I was going to MC this project, but seeing as you're all over my action I guess I'll just have to sign up for my sections. :D I'll take the ones that I already said I wanted.
Oh golly gosh, PLEASE erase my initials and add your own (and change the MC field in the database). It's all yours!
Kara
--------

Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona » November 26th, 2006, 1:55 am

kayray wrote:Oh golly gosh, PLEASE erase my initials and add your own (and change the MC field in the database). It's all yours!
Hehe, no, I was kidding and not mad. :) Unless you don't want the project (in which case I am more than happy to take it) I'll just volunteer for this like crazy.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » November 26th, 2006, 10:28 am

Caeristhiona wrote:
kayray wrote:Oh golly gosh, PLEASE erase my initials and add your own (and change the MC field in the database). It's all yours!
Hehe, no, I was kidding and not mad. :) Unless you don't want the project (in which case I am more than happy to take it) I'll just volunteer for this like crazy.
I would be ever so grateful if you would MC this one :) I've got wayyyyyyy too much on my plate, anyway. :)
Kara
--------

Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona » November 26th, 2006, 2:52 pm

kayray wrote:I would be ever so grateful if you would MC this one :) I've got wayyyyyyy too much on my plate, anyway. :)
Alright, consider it done. :D Is it all set up, or are there still MC duties I need to fulfill? (Knowing you, it's probably beyond done...)

And, may we still use your uploader for the project?
-- Jeffrey Rowland

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » November 26th, 2006, 3:22 pm

Caeristhiona wrote:
kayray wrote:I would be ever so grateful if you would MC this one :) I've got wayyyyyyy too much on my plate, anyway. :)
Alright, consider it done. :D Is it all set up, or are there still MC duties I need to fulfill? (Knowing you, it's probably beyond done...)

And, may we still use your uploader for the project?
I probably forgot to add this project to the "to come" page, but I think everything else is all set. When you change the MC name, just take a look and see if I pasted the source, wiki, & forum links in. I really have no memory of setting it up, but it looks like I did the readers list so it's probably good to go :) (my short-term memory is really... quite something, heheh) And of course you may use my uploader :) When the first file arrives, I'll make a special sub-directory for you. Thanks, Caet!
Kara
--------

Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona » November 26th, 2006, 3:34 pm

Alright, it's all done. :D
-- Jeffrey Rowland