COMPLETE: Critique of Pure Reason by Immanuel Kant - NF/ct

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jbieber

Post by jbieber »

Hi TTM,

You can put me down for section 14, what the heck?

Thanks for organizing this.

Judy
"To please a child is a sweet and lovely thing that warms one's heart and brings its own reward." L. Frank Baum
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Thanks, Judy! That's a big chunk that tends to get short shrift after the Transcendental Dialectic, but which is VERY important (especially to people like me who pretend to be scientists).

OT: I hope to listen to your Mencken soliloquoy later today :D

Take care, TTM
[color=darkblue][size=92][i]Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.[/i] -- Henry James[/size][/color]
jbieber

Post by jbieber »

Thanks, I may have gotten a few of the foreign terms wrong; I won't take offense if I have to redo any of them. JB
"To please a child is a sweet and lovely thing that warms one's heart and brings its own reward." L. Frank Baum
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Reading this thread makes me feel smarter.

Alright, so I was looking at my sections, and lo and behold one of them is rather short. So please, sir...I want some more? (Yeah, I'll get them done quick if you insist on it.)
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
JemmaBlythe

Post by JemmaBlythe »

Hi TTM

Chapter 3, 00:08:53, 8.14 MBs, is linked at
http://download.yousendit.com/71C9C7CE211CFF03

Please let me know if Chapter 10 is officially mine.

Cheers JemmaBlythe
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

WARNING! WARNING! WILL ROBINSON, TAKE COVER!!

Hello Team Kant,

Somewhere in the transition from concept to notion to proposal, I lost a very important piece of information.

This text was chosen (over Gutenberg and others) due to its superior online readability. However, that comes at a cost that the link can only take you to the first page of your section. The part I forgot to get in to the master sheet would have gone something like:

TO SEE WHERE YOUR SECTION ENDS, PLEASE CLICK ON THE NEXT SECTION'S LINK.

(Caet, Can you fix this for me?-Thanks)

Please let me know (here or by PM) if you wish to reconsider your committments to this project (the approximate word counts in the sign-up area are still valid).

My humblest apologies, TTM
[color=darkblue][size=92][i]Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.[/i] -- Henry James[/size][/color]
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Caeristhiona,

Would you be so kind as to do me one more gigantic favor (for now, at least)?

Perhaps the main reason that I'm BCing these monumental tomes of western civilization is that I've always wanted to read them, but just didn't quite have the brain power when I was in school.

Unfortunately, age has not sharpened my intellect (though perhaps it has made it easier to admit my shortcomings).

Based on the LV catalog, it is exceedingly likely that most prospective readers will be joining our team as veterans of fiction, drama, or poetry. Excepting the last (which has also, alas, always eluded me), Kant is (at least to my limited mind) about a bazillion times more complex. Thus, if I have any hope of grasping the brilliance contained with the Critique, I am going to need people to read EXTREMELY SLOWLY (at least compared with what they would do for fiction). As I've mentioned to you before, I have a reputation for lecturing way too fast, so I know how hard this can be. However, assuming that prospective listeners are probably closer to my level than, say, yours or d.e.'s, the only way that they will have a chance in you know where of understanding Kant will be if they have time to digest each thought before the next one hits.

I would recommend the following (but feel free to change anything):

Count "one-one thousand, two-one thousand" between each sentence.
Count the same way to four-one-thousands between paragraphs.

I hope this is not asking too much of everyone, but I feel that it is critical to a successful Critique.

Many thanks to all, TTM
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

OOPS (again),

The big favor is to ask you use your MC superpowers to insert something like what I suggested above into the Master Post.

Thanks again, TTM
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Hi TTM,

You should be able to do this yourself by being logged in and clicking on the "edit" icon at the top of the post.

I think something slightly less prescriptive would be good though, since all the pausing will add to the file lengths, so there's a balance to be struck between "impossible to follow" and "needlessly slow".

What about something like "PLEASE TAKE CARE TO READ THE TEXT SLOWLY AND TO MAKE A DEFINITE PAUSE BETWEEN SENTENCES".

Thanks,
Carl.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

I am going to need people to read EXTREMELY SLOWLY
You should conscript Peter Why for this. :lol:
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Thanks Carl, it's done (see what you think).

Starlite- Just listened to "Miss T". PLEASE invite PW to our party!!

Ciao for now, TTM
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Peter does have a lovely slow voice doesn't he? I can pm him if you like. :)
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Starlite-Yes, please PM him (though, obviously, he shouldn't feel obliged). Thanks, TTM
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Ticktockman wrote:Starlite-Yes, please PM him (though, obviously, he shouldn't feel obliged). Thanks, TTM
Done. :)
Lisamarie

Post by Lisamarie »

May I take section 7?