COMPLETE: The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy - al

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy (1840 - 1928)

This project is now complete! Until the new catalog is launched, all audio files can be found on the Archive page: http://archive.org/details/returnofthenative_dramaticreading_1308_librivox
After the new catalog is launched, they will be found on the catalog page:
http://librivox.org/the-return-of-the-native-dramatic-reading-by-thomas-hardy/

Clym Yeobright returns home to Egdon Heath, a scattered collection of houses on the isolated Wessex moors, and is caught up in a "love pentagon" which includes: his cousin, Thomasin Yeobright; the shadowy inn-keeper, Damon Wildeve; the controversial and romantic Eustacia Vye; and the mysterious reddleman, Diggory Venn, whose skin is stained completely red from his work. This work has all the well-known marks of Thomas Hardy: the Wessex landscape, a choice of lovers, a wedding gone wrong, a particularly shy 30-something man, and a woman with an independent spirit. But, The Return of the Native is unique in its pagan undertones - the first five books take place over a year and a day, starting on Bonfire Night, and hints of magic and witchcraft. (Summary by Libby Gohn)
  1. Is there a deadline? 
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  2. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a role to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you'd like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/122
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Here is a pronunciation guide for some of the proper names - let me know if you'd like me to add any:
    Clym Yeobright
    Damon Wildeve
    Diggory Venn, the reddleman
    Egdon Heath
    Eustacia Vye
    Grandfer Cantle
    Olly Dowden
    "Saracen"
    Thomasin Yeobright, also called Tamzin or Tamzie

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project:
    fiction, historical-fiction, literature, romance
    Keywords that describe the book/play:
    Wessex; Romantic Era; Country
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430
    Set your recording software to: 
    Channels: 1 (Mono) 
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps 
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    Submit one file per act.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording: 
    [Role], read by [your name].
    If you are the narrator, please include for each file this information is also in the google docs
    At the beginning: Book [#], chapter [#] of The Return of the Native, by Thomas Hardy . This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.
    At the end: End of Book [#], chapter [#]. At the end of the play, add End of The Return of the Native, by Thomas Hardy.
    Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording: 
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3 returnnative_[role]_[#_#].mp3 (all lower-case), where the first # is the book number and the second # is the chapter number. If your character has a first and last name, please only list the first name. For example: returnnative_eustacia_2_4.mp3.
    ID3 V2 tags: Not needed for individual parts.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) 
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. 
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.

• Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: 
      http://upload.librivox.org 
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin) 
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: al - wildemoose 
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread. 
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions? Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by LibbyG on June 18th, 2013, 2:52 pm, edited 15 times in total.
What am I up to?
Amelia Vol. 2 - 10 sections open
wib66

Post by wib66 »

I would like to read either the narrator or the part of Mrs Yeobright if possible thanks
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

wib66 wrote:I would like to read either the narrator or the part of Mrs Yeobright if possible thanks
Awesome! The narrator has already been claimed (as have Eustacia and Thomasin) but Mrs. Yeobright is all yours!
What am I up to?
wib66

Post by wib66 »

LibbyG wrote:
Awesome! The narrator has already been claimed (as have Eustacia and Thomasin) but Mrs. Yeobright is all yours!
thanks
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I'd love to be involved, but I don't know the book at all. Maybe either Olly Downden or Susan Nunsuch would be suitable for me? (I'm a 38yo Aussie, if that helps with your casting.) If both of those are taken, anything else suitable for a female voice - I'm not picky. ;)
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

Elizabby wrote:I'd love to be involved, but I don't know the book at all. Maybe either Olly Downden or Susan Nunsuch would be suitable for me? (I'm a 38yo Aussie, if that helps with your casting.) If both of those are taken, anything else suitable for a female voice - I'm not picky. ;)
Great! I'll put you down for Susan Nunsuch - she's a fun read (what with her voodoo magic!)
What am I up to?
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

I'll MC this for you, Libby. Back in a bit with your MW!
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

You should be all set. :) Your Gutenberg text link was broken, so I fixed it, but you should double check to make sure that's the version you used for your text docs, since there was more than one on Gutenberg.
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

wildemoose wrote:I'll MC this for you, Libby. Back in a bit with your MW!
Thanks so much! I'm at school right now, so I can't add all the info in until this evening. Link new gutenberg link didn't work for me, but that's probably just the school computer being suspicious of everything.
What am I up to?
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Try it now. There was something strange going on but it seems to be working now.
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

The new gutenberg link works!

I've partially filled in the MW, but today's a bit of a crazy day, so the rest will come this evening and tomorrow.
What am I up to?
catrose

Post by catrose »

Can I take Charley please? For the following reasons: (1) My Mum and my Nan call me Charlie (2) I'm kinda getting used to being young (male) characters that have massive crushes on Amanda('s character)! (3) other than the characters in the Pageant, this is the only character whose age range I fit into (4) I don't think I'll make a complete mess of him (which is always a positive!) :D
Last edited by catrose on October 23rd, 2012, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

catrose wrote:Can I take Charley please? For the following reasons: (1) My Mum and my Nan call me Charlie (2) I'm kinda getting used to being young (male) characters that have massive crushes on Amanda('s character)! :D
Hahahahaha! You're so hard to resist! ;)
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

catrose wrote:Can I take Charley please? For the following reasons: (1) My Mum and my Nan call me Charlie (2) I'm kinda getting used to being young (male) characters that have massive crushes on Amanda('s character)! (3) other than the characters in the Pageant, this is the only character whose age range I fit into (4) I don't think I'll make a complete mess of him (which is always a positive!) :D
Yes, you'd be a great Charley! I was actually planning to offer him to you if you asked me to suggest a role! (I'm on a school computer so I can't put you in the MW, but soon!)
What am I up to?
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

Eustacia Vye here reporting for duty. :D