dvimont wrote:Here is the penultimate section -- section 31:
Book VI, Part 3: Extraordinary and Paradoxical Telluric Phenomena
https://librivox.org/uploads/ruthieg/onthenatureofthings_31_lucretius.mp3
SIZE: 42.2 MB
DURATION: 46:05
... almost done!
Thanks,
Dan
I can't manage 45 seconds without a flub--much less 45 minutes. :roll: You make wonderful recordings, Dan.

Section 31: PL OK
Kind regards,
Lucretia
dvimont

Post by dvimont »

lubee930 wrote:I can't manage 45 seconds without a flub--much less 45 minutes. :roll: You make wonderful recordings, Dan
Thanks Lucretia! 8-)
Now -- on to the final section!!
ON THE NATURE OF THINGS is complete.:)
---
CommonVox.org presents: LibriVox EXPLORER: A new web-based version of LibriVox Explorer is now available in BETA: Check it out here.
dvimont

Post by dvimont »

Here is the final section -- The Plague Athens:

https://librivox.org/uploads/ruthieg/onthenatureofthings_32_lucretius.mp3

SIZE: 14.2 MB
DURATION: 15:32

There was one ambiguous word in this section that was possibly an OCR error -- the word appears as "chocked" in the Gutenberg edition, but appears as "choked" in the Dover edition.

The phrase is "... when that influence of bane had chocked, down through the throat, the breast..."

The question is this: Is it "chocked the breast" or "choked the breast"? In this case, I went with the Gutenberg version, thinking that a metaphorical usage of the word "chock" (to block) somehow fits slightly better than "choke" in this context.

===============

Ruth -- Are there any final preparations to be made? Synopsis? Cover art? M4B production? Please let me know what I need to do!

Thanks,

Dan
---
CommonVox.org presents: LibriVox EXPLORER: A new web-based version of LibriVox Explorer is now available in BETA: Check it out here.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Well done, Dan!

Yes, I will need a public domain summary, please. There is some debate about whether a direct quote from Wikipedia is OK, as they now have a Creative Commons licence on all their pages.

Re the CD cover, it depends if you wish to do it yourself or let someone else do it. Details in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28785. If you wish to do it yourself, I can preclaim the cover in your name, so that no-one else leaps in, as we can only display one cover on the page.

The same applies to M4B making: the thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28784

Both cover and M4B can be added after cataloguing.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
dvimont

Post by dvimont »

Okay, I'll come up with a public domain summary, and I'll create both the CD cover and M4B version.

Thanks!
---
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

dvimont wrote:Here is the final section -- The Plague Athens:
Thanks,
Dan
Dan--I don't know if you want to fiddle with this or not, but I hear one discrepancy from the Gutenberg text.

Section 32:
--At ~2:50 the text shows "...recurrent spasms of vomiting would rack..."--but I hear "...recurring spasms of vomiting would rack..."

What a horrible final scene we are left to ponder! :shock:
Kind regards,
Lucretia
dvimont

Post by dvimont »

lubee930 wrote:Section 32:
--At ~2:50 the text shows "...recurrent spasms of vomiting would rack..."--but I hear "...recurring spasms of vomiting would rack..."
Thanks Lucretia! I'll get a corrected version posted soon (and yes, it is hard to imagine a more "doom and gloom" ending to such a work :().
---
dvimont

Post by dvimont »

Okay, the corrected version of Section 32 has been uploaded:

As always, Lucretia, thanks for the impeccable PLing!! :clap:

Ruth, I'll get the new synopsis and CD cover produced in the next couple of days.

THANKS VERY MUCH!! :D
---
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Right ho, I will be poised for action as soon as Lucretia has done the spot PL. :)

Ruth
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

dvimont wrote:Okay, the corrected version of Section 32 has been uploaded:
As always, Lucretia, thanks for the impeccable PLing!! :clap:
Ruth, I'll get the new synopsis and CD cover produced in the next couple of days.
THANKS VERY MUCH!! :D
Section 32: PL OK

Thank you, Dan, for letting me be your DPL'er--truly a pleasure. :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Bah, mutter, grumble. Something has failed at archive, and I have to wait for an admin there. As it is a holiday weekend (at least I assume it is also in the US), nothing may happen until Tuesday.

Ruth
dvimont

Post by dvimont »

Here is a synopsis:

On the Nature of Things, written in the first century BCE by Titus Lucretius Carus, is one of the principle expositions on Epicurean philosophy and science to have survived from antiquity. Far from being a dry treatise on the many topics it covers, the original Latin version (entitled De Rerum Natura) was written in the form of an extended poem in hexameter, with a beauty of style that was admired and emulated by his successors, including Ovid and Cicero. The version read here is an English verse translation written by William Ellery Leonard. Although Leonard penned his version in the early twentieth century, he chose to adhere to both the vocabulary and meter (alternating between pentameter and hexameter) of Elizabethan-era poetry.

While the six untitled books that comprise On the Nature of Things delve into a broad range of subjects, including the physical nature of the universe, the workings of the human mind and body, and the natural history of the Earth, Lucretius repeatedly asserts throughout the work that his chief purpose is to provide the reader with a means to escape the "darkness of the mind" imposed by superstition and ignorance. To this end he offers us his enlightening verses, that through them might be revealed to us "nature's aspect, and her laws".
---
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Thank you, Dan. Cataloguing is now complete and all audio files may be downloaded from https://librivox.org/on-the-nature-of-things-by-lucretius-2/

Let me know when the other bits and pieces are ready and I will get them added to the catalogue page :).

Ruth
dvimont

Post by dvimont »

I just posted the cover art over in the Cover Art thread...
---
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

And I see that Bart has already added it to the cataolgue page :).

Ruth