COMPLETE: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - al

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
catrose

Post by catrose »

The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux (1868 - 1927) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-phantom-of-the-opera-dramatic-reading-by-gaston-leroux/
Over the years, strange things have been happening at the Paris Opéra House. The new owners, M. Moncharmin and M. Richard don't know what to do about the mysterious "Opera Ghost" demanding money, nor the tragic death of the chief scene-shifter. Now the young Soprano, Christine Daae, has been kidnapped and her lover, the Vicomte de Chagny, is going mad. The opera house is falling to pieces. Could this all be the work of the mysterious Phantom of the Opera? (Summary by Charlotte Duckett)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/175 Please read from the Google documents in the MW

Libby has recorded a pronunciation guide (here) with the names of the following characters:
    • Jammes
    • M. Moncharmin
    • M. Richard
    • M. Poligny
    • M. Debienne
    • Philippe, the Comte de Chagny
    • Mercier
    • Mifroid
    • Remy
    • Gabriel
    April is my Co-BC. We will PL files as they come in, and I'll edit the odd chapters, April gets the even.

We recomend put all files through the free Post-Production website Auphonic.com , either through your personal account there (if you already use it) or through the group account with the following username and password:
    Username: phantom
    Password: librivox.org
    Click on start new production, then the preset "Librivox Phantom" Upload your raw file there, then re-upload the new file to Librivox. Any issues, either post on this thread or PM me and I'll sort them.

You don't have to use this, but it does improve the quality of recordings, and fixes all of the background noise to the same level :)

Also, this doesn't have to be gender specific. Please, claim any role which takes your fancy, regardless of gender or age. :D
    Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project:
    adventure, fiction, horror-ghost-stories, literature, mystery, romance

Keywords that describe the book:
    ghost; phantom; monster; opera; mystery; adventure; gothic
  5. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
  6. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:
    At the beginning: Chapter [#] of Phantom of the Opera , by Gaston Leroux . This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Chapter[#]. At the end of the play, add End of Phantom of the Opera, by Gaston Leroux .

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  7. AFTER recording:
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3 phantomoftheopera_[#]_[role].mp3 (all lower-case), where # is the chapter number. Eg. phantomoftheopera_05_christine

ID3 V2 tags: Not needed for individual parts.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: al - wildemoose
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions? Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by catrose on March 11th, 2013, 1:33 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

Awww, man - here we go! :D
What am I up to?
Amelia Vol. 2 - 10 sections open
catrose

Post by catrose »

I apologize to April firstly, because I'm meant to launch this next week, but I really am bursting with excitement for this! Phantom is my favourite book of all time! :D

Ok, the following roles have been taken: Christine, Raoul, The Persian, Little Jammes, M. Milfroid, Meg Giry, Mme. Giry, Carlotta.

Oh, and I added a bit about the post-production site. It isn't necessary, but it'd be helpful if you could put your files through that.

Oh, and it's 26 chapters, a prologue and an epilogue

Cat :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
catrose

Post by catrose »

LibbyG wrote:Awww, man - here we go! :D
I know. I'm so excited! I finished recording Christine this morning! :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

Meg Giry reporting for duty! I'll submit my chapters soon! :D
Between being a full-time college student and working 20+ hours per week, I'm not able to be involved at LV these days, but I remain a loyal fan and look forward to a triumphant return sometime in the (probably distant) future.
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

Madame Giry ready for uploading once an MC is found!
catrose

Post by catrose »

Thank you all! :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

I'll MC. :) Back in a minute with the Magic Window...
catrose

Post by catrose »

wildemoose wrote:I'll MC. :) Back in a minute with the Magic Window...
Thank you! :mrgreen:
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

hggarrett

Post by hggarrett »

And the madness begins! Can you throw me in there somewhere? Nothing too big...I've got college applications to finish :)

Grace
catrose

Post by catrose »

Of course Grace! Most of the roles are only a chapter or two. Give me a sec to get the MW filled out, and you can choose one :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

catrose wrote:
wildemoose wrote:I'll MC. :) Back in a minute with the Magic Window...
Thank you! :mrgreen:
You're all set! Also, fyi, the image link in your paragraph about Auphonic is broken. :)
CaprishaPage

Post by CaprishaPage »

Yippee!
Caprisha

I am half agony, half hope. -Jane Austen
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

May I be Erik, the Phantom?

Thanks, Todd