COMPLETE Indian Why Stories by Frank B. Lindermann - kd

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
rideforever

Post by rideforever »

Indian Why Stories SPARKS FROM WAR EAGLE'S LODGE-FIRE by Frank Linderman (1869 - 1938) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/indian-why-stories-sparks-from-war-eagles-lodge-fire-by-frank-linderman/
Delightful fables, collected by a devotee of Indian lore, recounts many of the legends told to him by tribal members, among them intriguing explanations of "Why the Chipmunk's Back is Striped," "How the Otter Skin Became Great Medicine," "How the Man Found His Mate," and "Why Blackfeet Never Kill Mice." (Summary by Dover Children's Classics)
  • Target completion date: 2012-Dec-12
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://sacred-texts.com/nam/iwhys.htm
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project:
    ancient-texts

Keywords that describe the book:
    American Indian; Indian; Campfire; Stories; Myths; Animism
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Indian Why Stories SPARKS FROM WAR EAGLE'S LODGE-FIRE . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " Indian Why Stories SPARKS FROM WAR EAGLE'S LODGE-FIRE , by Frank Linderman . [Chapter]"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Indian Why Stories SPARKS FROM WAR EAGLE'S LODGE-FIRE by Frank Linderman . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Indian Why Stories SPARKS FROM WAR EAGLE'S LODGE-FIRE , by Frank Linderman . "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    indianwhystories_##_linderman.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. indianwhystories_01_linderman.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Frank Linderman
    Album: Indian Why Stories: Sparks From War Eagle's Lodge-Fire

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kd - KiltedDragon
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Hi Sacha,

I am going to skip all the stuff we normally tell newbies about how they should start with a section in a group project before attempting a solo, etc. It usually does not deter them anyway. So, moving on...

My real name is Barry and I will be your Meta-Coordinator (MC) for this project; that means I will watch over your shoulder and keep you on the correct path and take care of the behind the scenes stuff, like setting up the Magic Window (MW) and cataloging the project once it is done. I have also decided to be the Dedicated Proof Listener (DPL) for the project; it sounds like a good book to listen to and I can also make sure your recordings are correct (tech specs, ID3 tags, etc.) since you are new to Librivox (LV).

Since you are doing a solo, you are also the Book Coordinator (BC) of the project. You will need to fill in the information in the MW including the section titles, the length (time) of each recording, and the URL link to each recording after you upload it. I started the first 3 section titles to give you an example and you can look at other MW's for examples too. I have sent you a Private Message (PM) with the User name and Password you need to log into the MW and a link to some instructions.

I shortened up the filename since it was quite long. Don't hesitate to ask any questions. :)
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
rideforever

Post by rideforever »

Hi Barry

Thanks that's great. Actually just did a chapter on another book :

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40178&start=60

This book is quite short and manageable I think, and I will try to upload it all at once when it's done.

Cheers

Sacha
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

I checked on your other recording and everything looks good and a great job reading too. This one should go well. :D

I will move this thread to the Going Solo forum on Monday or Tuesday.
Barry
My Recordings
rideforever

Post by rideforever »

Hi Barry, I uploaded the first half of the book here :

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kd/Chapters 1-11 - Indian Why Stories.zip
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Ok, several things need changing here.

First, don't upload a zip file. We can't use those. Upload only .mp3 files one at a time.

Second, since you are a soloist, you are also the BC of the project. After you upload a file, you will need to add the url link to each file into the MW.

Third, do not use spaces in file names. It will not work when you post the link as you can see from the filename in your last post. Use the format for the filenames that is in the first post in the thread: indianwhystories_01_linderman.mp3. Also, do not use capital letters in the filenames either.

So, please individually re-upload each of those properly named chapters; post the url link to the file and the recording time for each file into the MW. Then post a note saying you have uploaded them. You can look at other MW's to see how it should look. Let me know if you need any help. :D
Barry
My Recordings
rideforever

Post by rideforever »

I certainly have no idea how an ordinary person is supposed to organise all the admin.

I am a programmer with all the experience in the world ... and it is incredibly complicated for me.

I have a file now with the one million passwords, links, formats, bit rates, file names, id tags, headers and footers, and procedures that are required to be followed !

Nevertheless, I have done what you asked.
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Yep, it seems a little overwhelming at first but it becomes second nature after a while. A lot of it only has to be done once (settings, etc.) and then not messed with again.

I have listened to the first 2 files and you did a great job; looking forward to the rest.
Barry
My Recordings
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Sections 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, and 11 are PL OK.

Section 2: stumble/repeat at 1:40; repeat at 5:36

Section 5: repeat at 9:00-9:06; repeat at 14:27

Section 9: repeat at 0:30

Section 11: repeat at 1:46
Barry
My Recordings
rideforever

Post by rideforever »

Great, I will get to these when I can.
rideforever

Post by rideforever »

Hi KD, I have edited them all apart from the last one which I couldn't find :

Section 11: repeat at 1:46

???
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Oh bother, my fault. That 11 should have been a 10; section 10. :oops:

Then you need to re-upload just those files using the same file name. Thanks.
Barry
My Recordings
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

This looks really interesting.

Can you shoot me a PM when you are finished please? (We used to have email notifications but it had security issues so it went the way of the DODO.)

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Will do, Esther. Been some really interesting stories so far. :)
Barry
My Recordings
rideforever

Post by rideforever »

Hi Barry

1. I have done the edits you pointed out

2. I have recorded and uploaded the 2nd half of the book however :

> C15 : 3m50 ....there are 30 words missing in the middle of the story

> C21 : 3m02 ... one word is wrong : "boughs" needs re-recording so it sounds like "pows" rather than "bows"

3. All sections have ID tags ... and I reupploaded all sections

So if you leave C15 / C21 until last I will get them done in the next few days or so.

Cheers

Sacha