[Complete]Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions-John Donne-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
david wales

Post by david wales »

Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions Together With Death's Duel by John Donne (1572 - 1631) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/devotions-upon-emergent-occasions-together-with-deaths-duel-by-john-donne/
Devotions upon Emergent Occasions is a 1624 prose work by the English theologian and writer John Donne, Dean of St. Paul’s Cathedral in London. It is a series of reflections that were written as Donne recovered from a serious illness. The work consists of twenty-three parts ('devotions') describing each stage of the sickness. Each part is further divided into a Meditation, an Expostulation (or objection) , and a Prayer. The work is an excellent example of seventeenth century English spirituality and sometimes feels a bit dated. Yet much solid nourishment can be found. “Death’s Duel” is Donne’s last sermon prepared for presentation before the King during Lent; it is commonly seen as Donne’s own funeral oration. The biographical material is from Izaak Walton’s Lives. The most famous part of the Devotions is number XVII (17), containing these lines: No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee. (Summary by Wikipedia and David Wales)
  • Target completion date: 2013-May-01
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/23772
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

• Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_donne
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devotions_upon_Emergent_Occasions
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 27
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: no
    • Original publication date (if known): 1624
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
      Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

============================================

Genres for the project:
    advice, biography, literature, philosophy, psychology, religion

Keywords that describe the book:
    theology; illness; death, Anglican, Death's Duel, seventeenth century
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions Together With Death's Duel . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions Together With Death's Duel , by John Donne . [Chapter]"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions Together With Death's Duel by John Donne . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions Together With Death's Duel , by John Donne . "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    devotionsemergent_##_donne.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. devotionsemergent_01_donne.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: John Donne
    Album: Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions Together With Death's Duel

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: mas - MaryAnnSpiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by david wales on March 11th, 2013, 4:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Peace, David
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

David,
I can MC this for you.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

MW is up.

You note in the intro:
The biographical material is from Izaak Walton’s Lives.
I know you've already read it once for Walton's Lives, but we can't use a file in multiple projects so I wanted to make sure that you planned to record it again.

And I've shortened your file name a bit.

MaryAnn
david wales

Post by david wales »

Hi MaryAnn, Yes, I know about the duplication policy and I have already recorded the biographical material again. Thanks,
Peace, David
david wales

Post by david wales »

Hi Mary Ann, The file name is much better -- thank you! :D I wonder, since I have to enter it 27 times, if it could be made even shorter? Something like devotionsemergent which should be sufficient to name the file?
Peace, David
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

david wales wrote:Hi Mary Ann, The file name is much better -- thank you! :D I wonder, since I have to enter it 27 times, if it could be made even shorter? Something like devotionsemergent which should be sufficient to name the file?
That would be find David, and better for both of us! :)

MaryAnn
david wales

Post by david wales »

Peace, David
david wales

Post by david wales »

Peace, David
david wales

Post by david wales »

Peace, David
david wales

Post by david wales »