[Complete] Sunbeams by Geo. W. Peck - mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ABanner

Post by ABanner »

Sunbeams; Humor, Sarcasm, and Sense by George W. Peck (1840-1916).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/sunbeams-by-george-wilbur-peck/
George W. Peck was at times a writer, newspaper publisher and politician. Many of the Sunbeam essays had been published in Peck's paper, "The Sun", as amusing and often critical comments on social and political subjects, typically current in the beginning of the 1900's. Topics are often 'small town' United States, and Peck's gentle sarcasm or portrayals much resembles that of Twain.

Listeners must be aware that the Spanish American War was a recent event, leading to the "Yankee" involvement in the Philippines. Admiral Dewey, who figures in several of the writings, had the Olympia as his flagship. The Dwight, mentioned in 'A Bear with a Jag', may have been Charles Dwight Sigsbee, Captain of the Maine in 1898. At this time the British Empire was in conflict with the Boers under Kruger, all topics of or mentioned in the early essays.

In the slang of that time a "drummer" was a traveling salesman, while a trust was a financial combine with monopolistic powers. The essay title term "bimeatallic" likely is a take-off on the "bimetallic question", which referred to arguments over having gold and silver both as legal tender. Peck suggested, tongue in cheek, that there could be a 'standard' under which horsemeat should be disclosed as an ingredient of sausage. Indeed, many of the essays deal with questionable ingredients for foods, and were probably of high relevance to consumers who were without the regulatory protections and labelling requirements of today. In the same vein, the 'embalmed beef' served as rations to U.S. soldiers became notorious. (Summary by Arnold Banner)

• Target completion date: December, 2013
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://archive.org/details/pecksuncleikered00peckiala
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): Standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects (and hence the number of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

Soloist - please provide *all of* the following:
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wilbur_Peck
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): n/a
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 57 essays, each about 700 words, split into about 20 sections
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: n
    • Original publication date (if known): 1900
    • Year of author's death (note: in some countries copyright is author's death + 50 or 70 years): 1916
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Arnold Banner (co-reader is Melora Campbell). Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    n
    ============================================
  • Each reader will record the following at the beginning and end of his or her first file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of Sunbeams. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Sunbeams by George W. Peck. [Story title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections by each reader, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Sunbeams by George W. Peck. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Story title]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of Section [##]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Sunbeams by George W. Peck."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    sunbeams_##_peck.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Author name
    Album: Book title

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: mas - MaryAnnSpiegel (provisionally)
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by ABanner on March 18th, 2013, 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arnold
ABanner

Post by ABanner »

It is anticipated that MaryAnn wiill be MC; Melora and I hope to have her mom get into this as dedicated listener.

The book has 57 essays, generally about 700 words in length, each with a descriptive title. While the book could have two, three, or even four essays per a smaller number of 'section', I'd not want to lose the ability of a listener to search by essay title. Is is impractical to have 57 selections/chapters?

I expect to be the BC; I believe that I have the time to make entries and keep things moving along.
Arnold
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

if you want to hear what single section very short files sound like try http://librivox.org/the-lincoln-story-book-by-henry-l-williams/ .

Anne
ABanner

Post by ABanner »

Thanks Anne.

I see the Lincoln book has about 5 times as many 'chapters' as the Peck book, and they seem each to be about half or one third the length of Peck's. I assume that the advantage of combining small readings into fewer sections would be fewer introductions, less file manipulation, and fewer changes of reader to disturb the listener. You still would have the same number of small readings, and I don't see what would happen to the essay titles if the essays were combined into fewer sections (MaryAnn suggested that the book be divided into fewer sections, running around 2500 to 3000 words each).

If we arrange several essays in sequence by the same reader and observe the truncated LV introduction once into the book, maybe the 57 chapters will not be too onerous.
Arnold
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Hi there! Just checking in. I'd be happy to MC this for you.
ABanner wrote:Melora and I hope to have her mom get into this as dedicated listener.
This is going to be quite a family affair! That's terrific.

Section titles are not searchable in the catalog, unless they appear in one of the collections (like poetry or short story, where they are cataloged a bit differently). If you list the various titles which you have grouped together in each section as part of the section name, the listener can see the titles as they look at the catalog page on Librivox or Archive, or they can see the story title in the title tag in the metadata on an MP3 player - assuming their MP3 player shows the full title and doesn't cut it off after 10 characters like the one in my car does. :evil:

Here's one possible way to group them:
01 - The Dude and His Pajamas, The Boers and the Filipinos; The Soldier with Iron Spoon and Branding Iron
02 - "Admiral, Is My Hat on Straight?"; Gave the Prisoner Rope; The Trust and the Drummer

Intro would be:
"Section 2 of Sumbeams by George W. Peck.. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain. Recording by [your name]. Section 1. "Admiral, Is My Hat on Straight?."
Then when you get to the end of that story, you read the title of the next story and continue reading, like you were reading through the book. At the end of the section you say: End of Section 2.

There are pluses and minuses to recording each separately and to grouping. Someone listening to the whole book is going to have to hear a lot of intros before its all done, but if you're looking for one particular story, you can go right there rather than having to listen to the end of a longer file to get to it.

Decision is yours. It can be done well either way.

MaryAnn
Melora

Post by Melora »

annise wrote:if you want to hear what single section very short files sound like try http://librivox.org/the-lincoln-story-book-by-henry-l-williams/ .

Anne
:!: Wow! Those Are short! I can see how they might better have been combined. From a sample of the word counts on those chapters, it seems that the very longest are mostly under 500 words, and most are probably between 250 and 300 words (at most). In the one piece I listened to there, the reader read quite fast.

I cut and pasted a random sample of the Geo. Peck essays into Word to get an idea of their lengths, and they do seem to be quite a bit longer, though still definitely short pieces. I found one with 617 words and one with 1,742 words, but they mostly seemed to average around 900 words. So, depending on reading speed, we could maybe estimate six to eight minutes a piece?

I'm happy to read them as single pieces, and setting up the titles would seem more simple that way, but either combined or single is okay with me! 8-)

Melora
Melora

“The world is dark, and light is precious.
Come closer, dear reader.
You must trust me.
I am telling you a story.”
― Kate DiCamillo, The Tale of Despereaux
Melora

Post by Melora »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Hi there! Just checking in. I'd be happy to MC this for you.

This is going to be quite a family affair! That's terrific.

Here's one possible way to group them:
01 - The Dude and His Pajamas, The Boers and the Filipinos; The Soldier with Iron Spoon and Branding Iron
02 - "Admiral, Is My Hat on Straight?"; Gave the Prisoner Rope; The Trust and the Drummer

Intro would be:
"Section 2 of Sumbeams by George W. Peck.. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain. Recording by [your name]. Section 1. "Admiral, Is My Hat on Straight?."
Then when you get to the end of that story, you read the title of the next story and continue reading, like you were reading through the book. At the end of the section you say: End of Section 2.

MaryAnn
I think we were posting at the same time! Thank you so much for taking this project on! We will try not to be too difficult! (though I guess I shouldn't speak for my parents! but I will anyway! :twisted: )

I see what you mean about the intro's, I think! That would certainly be less awkward, if we didn't need to list each piece at the beginning of the reading, but could give the titles as we went. And I Love the shortened Introduction!

My dad is taking the lead in this one, so I'll leave it to him to decide how to arrange the sections, but I just wanted to thank you so much for being our MC!!!! :clap:

Melora
Melora

You must trust me.
ABanner

Post by ABanner »

MaryAnn,

Your example is great. I was primarily concerned that the essay titles would be lost; if they will show in the catalog that satisfies me.

Is there room in the 'Magic Window' box for listing three or even four titles? I assume they'd be on separate lines, or at least comma separated. Also, the ID3 tag would probably have to have just the section number as title (not room for the multiple titles).

When recording, I imagine we'd leave five seconds or so between essays.

Let's go that way (your way) if the answers are affirmative. Could we start with 20 sections and just lop the last one off if not needed? That way we'd figure on three per section, plus or minus depending on unique length.

I'm jubilant again! Do/can I do anything next?

Your help is invaluable!
Arnold
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Good Morning Arnold.

What you suggest sounds good. I'll get the MW set up shortly and then you can go in and start filling it out.

Have you worked with a Magic Window before? If not, I'll need to send you a log-in and password (it's different from your general forum login).

I don't know of any length limits on the titles in the MW - I generally separate using semicolons. Don't worry about the title tags on the MP3s, they will be the same as you enter in the section title column of the Magic Window. During the cataloging process, one of the steps is to make the title tag on each MP3 match whatever is in the MW for that section. So make sure you are happy with the MW, and then I can take care of any inconsistencies in the titles on the MP3 files themselves as part of cataloging.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, the Magic Window is ready to go.

Let me know if you need a password to get in.

Once you are in, you'll see each section listed in a table and you can fill in the titles.

I've put both you and Melora in as readers for the first two sections. The easiest way to change the sections (or add more sections) for each reader is this:
Click on the link that says "Change to sort by reader"
You are both listed as readers with a series of numbers after your name. Those are the sections you each will/have read. Just go in and edit the numbers for the sections assigned to each of you.

When you are done, click the link that says "change to sort by sections/chapters" and the table will go back to listing each section, with the title and the reader assigned to each.

If you have any questions, please just let me know.

MaryAnn
ABanner

Post by ABanner »

Wow! There it is MW!!

No, I haven't worked with one before, so I need the password and log-in. I'll review the video's on using it (or is there a Wiki page?).

We are excited. Nancy (my wife) is registering, and we'd like her to be the dedicated proof listener. Perhaps you or another experienced listener could verify her/our first efforts.

Thanks VERY much.
Arnold
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK - PM with MW login sent. Please have your wife post to this thread when she gets in, so I can pick up here name and add her as DPL for the project.

Hold on and we'll take a flying leap over to "Going Solo"! Image Or, we can just waddle over at a more leisurely pace.

MaryAnn
NancyBanner

Post by NancyBanner »

Hi; I'm happy to listen to the recordings by my husband and daughter.

I tried an earlier post, but it doesn't show.
NancyBanner
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

NancyBanner wrote:Hi; I'm happy to listen to the recordings by my husband and daughter.

I tried an earlier post, but it doesn't show.
Welcome Nancy. I've got you in as the DPL. Please be sure to download the files (or listen through the links in the MW). That's what confirms that the file properly uploaded and that the Magic Window link is working. I'll spot check the first few to make sure things look ok. You can log into the MW using the same password that I sent to Arnold.

Ya'll are off and running. Just post if you need anything. I'll be watching the project thread, but won't step in unless I see a problem or question.

MaryAnn
Melora

Post by Melora »

Ha ha! I'm first! 8-)

Section 2 uploaded, at 13 min. 59 seconds.
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/mas/sunbeams_02_peck.mp3

However.... I wonder if I put in my artist name correctly. I entered George W. Peck, but the name here shows as Geo. W. Peck. Should I change it? :hmm:

Let me know!

Melora
Melora

You must trust me.