[Compl]The Song of the Cardinal - Gene Stratton Porter - phi

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Peppersnoodles93

Post by Peppersnoodles93 »

The Song of the Cardinal by Gene Stratton Porter (1863 - 1924) .

This wonderful project is now in our catalog at http://librivox.org/the-song-of-the-cardinal-by-gene-stratton-porter/ Read by the Krause family this is a unique production indeed. :clap:
The Song of the Cardinal is about a big male Cardinal who lives in a tree near a farmer and his wife. The Cardinal immediately starts to sing to find himself a mate. Meanwhile the farmer and his wife enjoy watching this boisterous bird and seeing what he does. He does find a mate and through his singing the farmer and his wife's marriage is rejuvenated. It's a happy little parallel love story that will sweep you off your feet! (Summary by peppersnoodles93)
  • Target completion date: 2013-May-31
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/533
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Stratton-Porter
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 5
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: no
    • Original publication date (if known): 1915
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
      Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project:
    animals, fiction

Keywords that describe the book:
    Cardinal; Love Story; Animal; Bird; Communication; Singing; Farmer
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Song of the Cardinal . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Song of the Cardinal , by Gene Stratton Porter . [Chapter]"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Song of the Cardinal by Gene Stratton Porter . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Song of the Cardinal , by Gene Stratton Porter . "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    songofthecardinal_##_porter.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. songofthecardinal_01_porter.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Gene Stratton Porter
    Album: The Song of the Cardinal

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: phi - philchenevert
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by Peppersnoodles93 on April 27th, 2013, 9:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
~Kim
Peppersnoodles93

My AMAZING DPL is fiddlesticks! THANK YOU! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D
~Kim
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I will set this up in a few minutes. :thumbs:
I recommend you change the text link to http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/533 which more people are used to.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. This looks like a delightful book. :thumbs: Image
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Peppersnoodles93

Thanks Phil looks amazing! I switched the book address as you suggested. The one thing I'm worried about is, two of the chapters are 6,000 words! Any suggestions on how to record such a long piece?
~Kim
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

This looks like a very sweet story!! Thanks for letting me be a part of it :mrgreen: with the 6,000 word chapter you can find a good dividing point and ask Phil for however many more sections you will need :D And just say 'chapter # (title if there is one) part # in the disclaimer I don't know if that is very clear but I hope it helps :)
~Tiffany
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Your user name and password have been sent via PM

Our DPL has her own already so she should be set up.

Now, let's listen to this bird sing his love song, eh?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Peppersnoodles93 wrote:Thanks Phil looks amazing! I switched the book address as you suggested. The one thing I'm worried about is, two of the chapters are 6,000 words! Any suggestions on how to record such a long piece?
Fiddlesticks was exactly right. If 3,000 word sections are not too long for you, then two sections would be fine for each chapter. If you like shorter sections, then 3 might work. Just find a nice breaking point. In the MW it should be "04 - Chapter 2, part 1" "05 - Chapter 2, part 2". Don't be too concerned about finding the perfect spot to break it

EDIT: I am going to add 6 more sections; use as many as you want and I will take off the left overs.
Peppersnoodles93

Hey Phil, I typed it in wrong a few times and now it's saying this:
Sorry, you can only access this page if you are the BC for the project
Shall I just wait and hopefully it will clear up?

:(
~Kim
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Peppersnoodles93 wrote:Hey Phil, I typed it in wrong a few times and now it's saying this:
Sorry, you can only access this page if you are the BC for the project
Shall I just wait and hopefully it will clear up?
:(
Try it again. The system rejected what i did the first time so I did it again. It should work but ....... :roll:
Peppersnoodles93

Hey yep! Your right. So weird! It worked today! I am also not getting my emails either! I had to come to this post directly to find that you replied! I was thing, that's strange Phil usually writes back so quick! Haha hopefully all the bugs will be worked out soon!
~Kim
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Peppersnoodles93 wrote:Hey yep! Your right. So weird! It worked today! I am also not getting my emails either! I had to come to this post directly to find that you replied! I was thing, that's strange Phil usually writes back so quick! Haha hopefully all the bugs will be worked out soon!
Of course they will all be fixed soon. In the meantime, check your personal settings in the User Control Panel to be sure you are still choosing to receive notifications.
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

Over the past week I have not been receiving updates on every topic I subscribed to. It is very chancy wether or not I get the email usually they are pretty dependable :hmm: fortunately I check my BCing projects every day regardless of emails, and I go through all my DPL projects every few days to make sure I have not missed anything :wink:
~Tiffany
Peppersnoodles93

Wow so right! Haha didn't receive this one either!
~Kim
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

Peppersnoodles93 wrote:Wow so right! Haha didn't receive this one either!
Neither did I :lol: :roll:
~Tiffany
Peppersnoodles93

Chapter 1 is up! :D :D :D 8-)
~Kim