COMPLETE: Ivanov by Anton Chekhov - ek

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mb

Post by mb »

Exactly. Plus, that self-deprecation is unwarranted on account of we're all beautiful and young and not getting any older at all, you guys.

Right, Mr Chekhov?
mb

Post by mb »

A note on pronunciation: I've changed any names ending in double Fs to Vs in the title and magic window because that transliteration is so much more common. I hope that's okay.

Also, it's my (vague) understanding that in Russian names the emphasis is usually on the penultimate syllable, thus the pronunciation of Ivanov in the MW . If anybody knows better, please correct me!
hggarrett

Post by hggarrett »

Yes, thank you, any part is fine :) .

Grace
mb

Post by mb »

Great! In that case I'll put you down for Zinaida, okay?
beeber

Post by beeber »

I have to say the name of LEBEDIEV. My instinct is to say: le BAYD yeff . Does that sound OK, or does anyone know authoritatively? (I'd like to be consistent with what others are saying.)

Bruce
catrose

Post by catrose »

beeber wrote:I have to say the name of LEBEDIEV. My instinct is to say: le BAYD yeff . Does that sound OK, or does anyone know authoritatively? (I'd like to be consistent with what others are saying.)

Bruce
I would've pronounced it le-bed-EE-ev I'm Googling the pronunciation now...
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
mb

Post by mb »

I can't find anything definitive, but your suggestion feels right to me, Bruce. Definitely 'diev' is one syllable.
aidanbrack

Post by aidanbrack »

Can I claim the part of the third guest? Also, as far as I can see there don't seem to be any lines for the fourth guest, so I wondered if his or her inclusion is actually needed here or if I am just missing something.
mb

Post by mb »

aidanbrack wrote:Can I claim the part of the third guest?
Of course. Thanks very much!
aidanbrack wrote: Also, as far as I can see there don't seem to be any lines for the fourth guest, so I wondered if his or her inclusion is actually needed here or if I am just missing something.
No, you're right - just silly mistake on my part. Elizabeth, as and when you have a minute, would you mind deleting Fourth Guest from the MW, please?
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

mb wrote:Elizabeth, as and when you have a minute, would you mind deleting Fourth Guest from the MW, please?
Done! :)
CaprishaPage

Post by CaprishaPage »

May I read Avdotia, if she is still available?
Caprisha

I am half agony, half hope. -Jane Austen
mb

Post by mb »

CaprishaPage wrote:May I read Avdotia, if she is still available?
Absolutely! Thanks!
mb

Post by mb »

gloriana wrote: Done! :)
You're super. :D
CaprishaPage

Post by CaprishaPage »

mb wrote:
Absolutely! Thanks!
Wonderful! ...would you mind giving me a little hint on prounouncing her name... :D
Caprisha

I am half agony, half hope. -Jane Austen
mb

Post by mb »

CaprishaPage wrote:
mb wrote:
Absolutely! Thanks!
Wonderful! ...would you mind giving me a little hint on prounouncing her name... :D
Well, based, as discussed above, on my own entirely subjective guesstimate, I'd go with:
Av-DOTE-ya Naza-ROV-na.

I think an acceptable interim strategy would be to go with my semi-informed assumptions until such time as
a) someone who really knows what they're talking about shows up.
or
b) you finish your recording, thus making your preferred pronunciation official for the purposes of this project.

I'll go post a thread right now in Help Wanted appealing for pronunciation help, which I should have done to begin with. In the event no one can help, I'll play the Supreme Authority and take the blame for any mistakes. Okay?

I really didn't expect this much movement this soon. Thanks, everyone!