COMPLETE: Essays in Radical Empiricism - William James

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kristin

Post by kristin »

Yay! Moving you now. :D
[size=75]Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world. - Jasper Fforde[/size]
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

Here is the link to Chapter 7:
http://www.mediafire.com/?6ojtzwooztr

I am a little bit concerned that I've gotten this done so quickly. I've noticed that other people have had a piece claimed since February or March. Is my recording noticeably below standard, or do I just have more free time? I'm especially concerned about the sound quality of my recordings. It seems that everyone else's recordings sound much cleaner, without all the fuzz in the background. I've been unable to figure out how to reduce the background noise, even using GoldWave. Do I just need a new mic, or is there some trick to editing out that noise that I've been unable to find anywhere? Any suggestions would be welcome.
I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
-[url=http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/][u]Jack Handey[/u][/url]
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Hi Leon,

Your recording sounds absolutely fine to me, and nicely read (haven't listened right through yet).

You are right though, there is some fuzz which it would be still better without. I'm not really an expert, so you might want to post in the help wanted section. I think quality of mic and/or quality of sound card (if using one) will probably be the answer, but there's also software (which I don't know much about) which can clean fuzz from recordings.

Must stress, there's nothing actually that bad about a bit of fuzz, so raiding the piggybank or not going to be essential.

Thanks for lending your voicebox,
Carl.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

I recently downloaded Adobe Soundbooth, and the noisecleaning is so good that I decided it might be worthwhile to see if I can improve the sound quality of recordings I made on my cheap $10 microphone, when I first joined Librivox. My recording of Section 7 ("The Essence of Humanism") was made on that mic, and with some experimentation, I have improved the sound quality by quite a bit, though it's still nowhere near as good as the ones made on my new USB mic. If possible, I would like for you to replace the file I submitted earlier, of Section 7, with this one:

http://www.mediafire.com/?91nztyutdzk
I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Thanks Leon, am replacing.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Hi all,

I'm now uploading chapter 11

http://www.carlmanchester.net/James/essaysinradicalempiricism_11_james.mp3

This may seem a bit of a cheek, since its been so long coming, but I think its about time I did my sheepdog thing and sent out some reminder messages on outstanding chapters...

Cheers,
Carl.
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

Here is the link to Section 12:
http://www.mediafire.com/?4oebr9mdnl8

You'll notice that the sound quality is much better, because I did go ahead and "raid the piggybank" for a USB mic. Now that I've gotten used to much higher quality sound, my recording of section 7, even the noisecleaned one, seems embarassingly bad. :oops:
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Thank you kindly.
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

sorry folks. 13'll be coming next week. promise!
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Thanks Hugh.
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

I'm going to be a away for a few days. It's possible that I'll be able to check the forums, but I won't be able to download anything or use the magic window.

Thanks,
Carl.
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hello, Carl!
Here's section 14: La notion de conscience. I hope the intro is alrgight as it is (said ...section 14, chapitre 8...).
Let me know if anything needs to be changed.

Cheers,
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

I'm sure it will be magique. Cheers Ezwa.
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Hi Ezwa,

Listened to your reading and it sounded great actually. No technical hiccups. However, if there were any minor pronunciation errors, I may not have picked them up due to having foreign ears.

So there's probably a question of whether this is good enough to call it prooflistened or not (and whether a francauditor can be found to do it).

What think you?

Cheers,
Carl.