[COMPLETE][TALES]Plain Tales from the Hills - arb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
dormouse3

Post by dormouse3 »

Plain Tales from the Hills by Rudyard Kipling (30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/plain-tales-from-the-hills-by-rudyard-kipling/
Named a "prophet of British imperialism" by the young George Orwell, and born in Bombay, India, Rudyard Kipling had perhaps the clearest contemporary eye of any who described the British Raj. According to critic Douglas Kerr: "He is still an author who can inspire passionate disagreement and his place in literary and cultural history is far from settled. But as the age of the European empires recedes, he is recognised as an incomparable, if controversial, interpreter of how empire was experienced. That, and an increasing recognition of his extraordinary narrative gifts, make him a force to be reckoned with." This force shines in THE PLAIN TALES FROM THE HILLS. -- MH . (Introduction by Mike Harris)

• Target completion date: 1 January 2011
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1858
  • Type of proof-listening required/b] Standard,

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project will be opened up to a group project as soon as a Book Coordinator can be found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to have it re-instated).
    ===========================================
    MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [name] of [Plain Tales From The Hills]. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • "Recording by Mike Harris"
    • Say:
      "[ Plain Tales From The Hills ], by [Rudyard Kipling]. ]. [Chapter title]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter title]"
      "Recording by [Mike Harris ]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of [Plain Tales From The Hills ], by [Rudyard Kipling].]."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    plaintalesfromthehills _##_kipling
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Rudyard Kipling
    Album: Plain Tales From The Hills
  • Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length (mm:ss) and file size MB of the recording together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: arb - annise
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All set up
I've put myself in as DPL - looking forward to some more Kipling :D

Anne
dormouse3

Post by dormouse3 »

Bless you. can't believe these shorties have never been read. Can you MC as well?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Already am :D - now I am off for my beauty sleep :D.

Anne
dormouse3

Post by dormouse3 »

Upload successful. URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/plaintalesfromthehills _01_kipling.mp3
Title: 01 - Lispeth
Album: Plain Tales From The Hills the length 9.94MB 10:51
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hi Mike
I'll fix this one - but see what happens if you leave a blank in the name. There is a blank after hills and before 01 and so the link doesn't work so don't use this one as a pattern for the others :D

Anne
dormouse3

Post by dormouse3 »

Upload successful. URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/plaintalesfromthehills _02_kipling.mp3
Title: 02 – Three and An Extra
the length 8:37 mm:ss + 7.89MB
dormouse3

Post by dormouse3 »

Where did the space come from? It's a direct copy from the Uploader.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

must be in your file name when you exported the MP3 - spaces are often very hard to see :D. If you are like me and just change the number for each file it will be in them all.
Look at your file names in your directory -may even be in the project name (.aup file . If it is leave 1 and 2 as is , just make sure when you start 03 that you check very carefully for the space. When you go to save it the first time , put the cursor just past the s and delete - if the _ stays , you have got rid of the blank

Anne
dormouse3

Post by dormouse3 »

Gotcha - GIGO. Found & deleted the space in the core filename. THX
dormouse3

Post by dormouse3 »

Upload successful. URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/plaintalesfromthehills_03_kipling.mp3
Title: 03 - Thrown Away
the length 16:50 mm:ss + 15.4MB
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

1 2 and 3 PL OK :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Interesting stories - what always strikes me about Kipling is his warts and all views of the British in India,

Anne
dormouse3

Post by dormouse3 »

this was his first story collection - published in 1888. He was certainly no Henty!
dormouse3

Post by dormouse3 »

The UPLOADER won't take my files, despite several tries. The Green Bar is complete, the message says the "Upload Complete" but no URL appears. i'VE messaged the UPLOADer but no response. Now What?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've had a look and there are no new files in either of your solos

Is anything different with your software etc. ? Some web Browser don't work well with it, but you haven't had trouble before.
I can only suggest trying again at a differnet time , in case it was a time thing with either your ISP or our server and if you srill have problems tell me the name of the file and what browser you are using and I will ask around

Anne