[COMPLETE] Library of the World's Best Literature, vol 4-le

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
beeber

Post by beeber »

Could I please read section 18 (Essay on Baudelaire)?

Thanks,
Bruce
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Thanks, Pamela, Kajo and Bruce! :)
Leni
=================
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

They call me Threadkiller.
My Catalog Page
CaprishaPage

Post by CaprishaPage »

kajo wrote:All the uploaded sections (#19, #21, #22 and #27) are PL OK!
Excellent readings! :clap:

Greetings Kajo
Thanks!
Caprisha

I am half agony, half hope. -Jane Austen
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Leni
=================
cynm1788

Post by cynm1788 »

Leni, if this is too "pop"-laden (as it sounds to me, after messing about with my mic/settings), make me do it over, please:

Section: 45 - Bestiaries and Lapidaries
URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/le/worldsbestliterature4_45_various.mp3
Length: 24:43

For all I know, it's no worse than, for instance, the Balzac; but I do know I changed stuff, which jacks me into hyper-critical listening-mode. Thanks for your attention.
_____

Added later: I've been discussing "pop" issues with some of our local German contingency; and I've continued to modify my setup, which has, astonishingly, resulted in my having learned a little bit more about the equipment I have in front of me; thank you for your (i presume) patience with my babblings.
_____

Still later: I re-recorded Section 45 & am beginning to edit; more, soonest, with apologies.
\\//_ -- cyn
____
"Computer: end program." - var.

"Here, this is not my doctrine, 'tis my study;"

"Word of the day"
cynm1788

Post by cynm1788 »

Fifty lashes with a wet noodle later:

Section: 45 - Bestiaries and Lapidaries (second take)
File already exists: the original file has been renamed.
URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/le/worldsbestliterature4_45_various.mp3
Length: 25:02

Sorry you got to witness my learning curve like this; I'm not trying to be an idiot, honest.
\\//_ -- cyn
____

"Word of the day"
beeber

Post by beeber »

kajo

Post by kajo »

Good reading, BellonaTimes!

The volume of the recording is a little low with 83.4 dbs. Everything else is PL OK. I would recommend to amplify a little. When you deamplify the clipping candidates at 10:19, 14:29, 15:20, 19:06 and 22:23 before amplifying the whole recording you can amplify by 4 dbs.

Greetings Kajo
kajo

Post by kajo »

Hi Bruce, section 18 is PL OK! Great reading! :clap:

Greetings Kajo
kajo

Post by kajo »

Hi Cyn,

I hope that you don't cut down your recording on 'pop' issues. There is much more to hear than popping plosives! :wink: Yes, there are some but your recording is really really good! :thumbs: Some or many of them are easily editable in your case, so you don't have to re-record. E.g. at 24:14 is a 'popping' coral. When you cut out 00.07 seconds starting at 24:14.75 then there is no 'pop' but your word. :D.
:hmm: Hmm, I had the impression that you would like to get rid of as many popping plosives as possible in section 45, is that right? No matter how much? Let's assume 30? Would you really be okay with it?

Greetings Kajo
cynm1788

Post by cynm1788 »

Hi, Kajo; I followed your meaning right up to here, where you typed "30":
kajo wrote:[...] Let's assume 30? Would you really be okay with it?

Greetings Kajo
I'm learning to fix problems as I discover them, and as stupid as it may sound, my ears play tricks on me. It's much easier, this week, for me to *see* the wonky wiggle-waggles that sound like %&*@#!, and ever since a couple of fellow dawgs intimated that some of these "pops" simply cannot be effortlessly eradicated in post, I'm becoming more chipper (but, yeah, there were a few very dark hours t/here) and aggressive about "append record"-ing instead of fiddling with the squiggles {which i jes' ~luv~, too, too much}.

I'm rambling.

Let's assume you're listening to my re-take: yes, I hear "coral" at just about the timestamp you indicate; to be on the safe side, I check my first take at that same point...yes, you're listening to Take Two {thankyouthankyouthankyou}. Now, if you want to spend your time spelling out to me where the worst offenses are, I should only be grateful; the alternative is to release me unto my own recognizance with THAT "coral" as my calibration, then wait for shoes to drop.

Thanks for listening! :oops:
\\//_ -- cyn
____

"Word of the day"
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Thanks everybody, specially Kajo, who's kept the project running while I was dealing with boring work-related issues. Heavy week!

Cyn, we all go through a learning-curve, don't worry. I can tell you I never ever listen to my older recordings, because I would feel like re-recording them all (or just hiding my head in the sand).

Kajo, thanks for the careful PLing!

Best,
Leni
=================
cynm1788

Post by cynm1788 »

Leni wrote:I can tell you I never ever listen to my older recordings, because I would feel like re-recording them all (or just hiding my head in the sand).
As I presently inhabit that perspective, the empathy between us must be profound, so, thanks for your compassion. Just because the recordings I'm making sound marginally better than a Citizen's Band transmission doesn't make me feel good about my efforts-to-date. Figuring out which element/s of my recording environment I can control has taken precedence over hurrying out to spend lots of money on better gear, which is the most obvious "next step". But, no, in lieu of that, since upholstering the computer-room {& the mic} hasn't "done enough", I'm building a thing, inspired by the "portable studio" units I've noticed on Amazon, but which won't actually render me incapable of seeing what I'm supposed to be reading. Best of luck to us, every one!
\\//_ -- cyn
____

"Word of the day"
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »