[COMPLETE] The Art of War by Wu Sun - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ewoo

Post by ewoo »

The Art of War by Wu Sun ( - ) .

This project is now complete. All files can be found on the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/the-art-of-war-chinese-by-sun-tzu/

Abandoned on March 3, 2013 - soloist last logged in in October and didn't pick up a PM sent in December - Anna
Vivienne Wong would like to finish this as a solo.

Compiled approximately during the late Spring and Autumn period of Ancient Chines (722-481 BC). The Art of War is an ancient Chinese military treatise attributed to Sun Wu, comprised of 13 chapters, each of which is devoted to one aspect of warfare. It has been the most famous and influential of China's Seven Military Classics, and it has had an influence on Eastern and Western military thinking, business tactics, legal strategy, and beyond. (Source: Wikipedia) (Summary by Wikipedia)《孙子兵法》是从战国时期成书以来,就一直风靡流传的军事著作。古今中外的军事家们都使用其中论述的军事理论来指导战争,而且,其中论述的基本理论和思想还被运用到了现代经营决策和社会管理方面。总结《孙子兵法》全书,我们可以看到其中有四个主要思想贯穿于始终,即整体思维的战争论、唯物主义的战争观、对立统一的辩证法和知己知彼的认识论。《孙子兵法》是现存的中国古代的第一部理论体系完整的兵书,被尊称为“世界第一兵书”、“兵学圣典”,被定为武学的教范,而兵法家苏武,则被尊为“百世兵家之师”、“东方兵学的鼻祖”。自先秦以来,历代帝王将相、文臣武士、学者隐士都从中汲取思想养料和谋略智慧。(来源:中华诵读网 Source: http://www.songdu.net
[*]Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/23864
[*]Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
  • "孙子兵法,【章节标题】 - 这是为libriVox点org所提供的录音, 一切lirbivox的录音都为公众所有。如果您想知道更多有关librivox的信息,或者提供志愿服务, 请参看librivox点org的网站""[
  • Say:
    " 孙武,孙子兵法, 【章节标题】"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of The Art of War by Wu Sun . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name]"
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
End of recording
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "【章节标题】完"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "孙子兵法全书录完 "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

[*]Example filename
artofwar_##_sun_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. artofwar_01_sun_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
    https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: availle - Availle
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]
Last edited by ewoo on August 11th, 2012, 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hello Ewoo,
I can be your MC for this project. I've seen you have already recorded a poem for the Multilingual Collection, so you know how to make the recordings. I don't know any Chinese, but other than that I hope to be able to help you.... :)
I will be back with more information after I've set up the project.
Anna
Anna
lezer

Post by lezer »

OK - the project is set up in the database! It will be great to have the Art of War in its original language at Librivox! So far we only have the English version

A few suggestions/questions/areas I need your help in (in random order):

1- I've copy&pasted the Chinese title from Gutenberg for the title of the project in the database, can you please check whether it has turned out OK?
2- I see that the author is known under several names - the earlier recordings in English are under the name Sunzi, and that is also the name used for the Gutenberg text of your link. So to keep it consistent with that I've put Sunzi in first. However, we have the option in the database to enter multiple author names - and I've used that to put in "Sun Tzu" and "Sun Wu" as alternate authors (although of course they are alternative names for the same person). This way, you will find your project if you search for any of those three versions of the name in the catalog. Or should it be Wu Sun, like you write in the title to the first post? Excuse my ignorance, please....

3- I suggest that you use the Chinese version of the LV-introduction instead of the English one, so the whole of your recordings will be in Chinese. You can search the catalog for other Chinese recordings to find examples - for example: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=39205 - you can edit your first post to change that. You might also want to change the ID3 tags for example to Chinese characters, although I'll have to look up or ask around how to get the ID3 tags to show up correctly everywhere in those characters. And it would also be great to have the summary in Chinese, or at least also in Chinese (like in the link above), wouldn't it?

Let's leave the project in the Launch Pad here for a few days, in the hope that a DPL may come along to join the team.

Now, since this is your first solo, there are some new aspects: you will be updating the MW yourself etc. I will send you a PM with information on how to do that.

And then I think you are ready to start. Have fun, let me know if you have any questions!

Anna
Anna
lezer

Post by lezer »

Oh, I almost forgot: the genre "war stories" is full of fictional novels etcetera which have something to do with war, so I did not think it would be very appropriate for this work. So I left that out. Would "politics" perhaps also be a good genre for this work?
Anna
ewoo

Post by ewoo »

Hello Anna,

Thank you for being my MC!

For the suggestions:
1. the Chinese title is 孙子兵法 in simplified Chinese or 孫子兵法 in traditional Chinese. I am telling you this because I don't know well to find the title of the project in the database. :oops: heehee. (hmmm where do you find that?)
2. Both Sunzi and Wu Sun is fine. I am fine with whatever you find appropriate.
Sun Wu or Wu Sun: Sun is the last name, but we Chinese people put the family name before the given name. So for the official name of the author it should be Wu Sun(family name). Sunzi / Sun Zi / Sun Tzu mean "Master Sun", zi or Tzu means "Teacher/master". Tsu and Zi are different pronunciations in different dialects. Zi is the official mandarin pronunciation. I hope this solves the problem :)
3. Thank you for the suggestion. I will record the whole chapter in Chinese.
For the ID3 tags, I would like to leave in English, as a lot of times one is not able to type Chinese characters. There are browser issues with Chinese characters too.
I can certainly add a Chinese summary to it. How do I edit the summary ? Or Do I just post the summary here for you to add it?

Thank you.

Ewoo
ewoo

Post by ewoo »

Here is the Chinese Summary:

《孙子兵法》是从战国时期成书以来,就一直风靡流传的军事著作。古今中外的军事家们都使用其中论述的军事理论来指导战争,而且,其中论述的基本理论和思想还被运用到了现代经营决策和社会管理方面。总结《孙子兵法》全书,我们可以看到其中有四个主要思想贯穿于始终,即整体思维的战争论、唯物主义的战争观、对立统一的辩证法和知己知彼的认识论。《孙子兵法》是现存的中国古代的第一部理论体系完整的兵书,被尊称为“世界第一兵书”、“兵学圣典”,被定为武学的教范,而兵法家苏武,则被尊为“百世兵家之师”、“东方兵学的鼻祖”。自先秦以来,历代帝王将相、文臣武士、学者隐士都从中汲取思想养料和谋略智慧。(来源:中华诵读网 Source: http://www.songdu.net
ewoo

Post by ewoo »

Section 01 and 02 submitted!
Last edited by ewoo on August 11th, 2012, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ewoo

Post by ewoo »

The Topic is updated. :)
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hello ewoo,
Thank you for the help!

You can see the title of the project in the database for example when you go to your own reader-page in the catalog: https://catalog.librivox.org/people_public.php?peopleid=7596 (it's always linked to your name in the MW) - or when you search the database: https://catalog.librivox.org/search.php?title=art+of+war&author=&status=all&action=Search - as you can see I've put in the Chinese title followed by the English one in between ( ) - so that it will also show up if you search the catalog for "Art of War". Is this the Chinese title you'd like to use? In other words: is this the Chinese title that someone would search for in the catalog if looking for this book?

Thank you for the Chinese summary - however, where did you get it? I can't read the link that is with it :wink: and we have to make sure we use texts that have no copyrights and no restrictive creative-commons license. So is it ok to use a text from the site you link from? If you are uncertain, it may be best to write your own summary...

And good to see that you've started - I suggest we move to the "Going Solo" forum. I will post in the "Listeners Wanted" forum to see if we can find a dedicated prooflistener.

Anna
Anna
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Hello ewoo!

Great recording, and a great work to have in the catalogue!

Sections 01 and 04 are showing as 'file not found'. Can you check the URLs?

Sections 02, 03 and 05 are PL OK!.

In the ID3 tags, you have the author as Sunzi (which is what I'd expect, as that's how the author is commonly known); but in the first post you have the author as Wu Sun.

David
ewoo

Post by ewoo »

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply and for PLing for me!
Also, thanks for pointing out problems with URL and author.
I will correct them as soon as I can.

Best,
Emerald
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hello David & ewoo,
I've updated the Magic Window (ewoo: it's a good idea to keep notes in the MW to keep track of what files have been proof-listened and are OK).
I've also found the files for 1 and 4 on the server and they are now available for listening!

Anna
Anna
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Section 1 is PL OK!

(I'll do 4 a little later...)

David
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

In section 4, there's a repetition at 2:10. The phrase in the text is 勝者之戰, but the phrase in the recording has 2 extra syllables - and the phrase is repeated.

David
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Moved to Suggestions for Vivienne to look at.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com