[complete] Across The Years by Eleanor H. Porter - phi

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Across The Years by Eleanor H. Porter (1868 - 1920) .

This delightful project is complete and in our catalog at http://librivox.org/across-the-years-by-eleanor-h-porter/
:clap: :clap:
These 18 wonderful short stories by Eleanor H. Porter, the author of Pollyanna, deal with those marvelous and maddeningly frustrating creatures: human beings. As always, Porter describes real people with sensitivity and an insight into all of their variety that makes you say "I knew someone just like that". She is able to capture the faded, but not quite extinguished, dreams of the elderly and the bright hopes of youth. The theme of this collection is how we humans deal with life and love throughout our lives, "Across the Years", no matter where we are or what era we live in. (Summary by phil chenevert)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/6991
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ======================================================
    Our DPL is the fabulous nente :thumbs:
    =======================================================

Genres for the project:
    short-stories

Keywords that describe the book:
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Across The Years. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " Across The Years , by Eleanor H. Porter . [Chapter]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Across The Years , by Eleanor H. Porter . "
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    acrosstheyears_##_porter.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. acrosstheyears_01_porter.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Eleanor H. Porter
    Album: Across The Years

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloging stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: phi - philchenevert
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
PuerScelestus

Post by PuerScelestus »

Hello again Phil. Mind if I take a crack at DPL'ing this?
-Ian.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

PuerScelestus wrote:Hello again Phil. Mind if I take a crack at DPL'ing this?
I would be happy to have you, Ian. And thanks. Image
PuerScelestus

Post by PuerScelestus »

philchenevert wrote: I would be happy to have you, Ian. And thanks. Image
You're very much welcome.
-Ian.
Hollz

Post by Hollz »

Oooooooooooh. I wanna play! I'm going to pop over here and claim some chapters once I knock out a few of those on the other. Haha! XD
I'm waiting to be lead; so lead me.
I sing on Youtube! XD
Hollz Musicable
Pweez check me out. <(^-^)>
http://targetstuffscholarships.com/gallery/8126 Please click that link to vote for me to win a scholarship! I REALLY need the money!! :( :( :( I be ur bestie!!! <3
kandi1234

Post by kandi1234 »

yay!! holly is here!!

do you mind if i take section 1? when father and mother rebelled? can i do a few southern accents...please?? lol!!

kandi
kandi1234

Post by kandi1234 »

ps I'm done with my sections of tide!! :) kandi
J_N

Post by J_N »

Oh, Phil... why do you do this to me? And here I was being so good finishing off my claimed sections and then you go and post another interesting project... you are my downfall :twisted:

May I claim section 2 (for now), please? :D
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
kandi1234

Post by kandi1234 »

Oh yipey stripeys...insomnia will be the death of me...but I love porter! I know you haven't assigned section 1 to me yet Phil but I have it ready...heads up, I got super excited to use a deep southern accent as well as a Texan southern accent. Us Dallas actresses are silly! It may be too much for the project (like too twangy I think) so please see if it is to your liking. Also, since it wasn't officially assigned to me yet, feel free to disregard it if needed in regards of technical purposes. But if it's ok I'll send it to you anyway and I'm open to take any other chapters (3-and on if needed! ) also, I talked to holly and we might be able to knock out a good number of chapters tag team style! Let us know of that is ok! Ps u r still a rock star!! :)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

kandi1234 wrote:yay!! holly is here!!

do you mind if i take section 1? when father and mother rebelled? can i do a few southern accents...please?? lol!!

kandi
Yes you may have section 1 and you may use as many southern accents as your little 'ol pea pickin' heart desires, honey chile..... Image
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

J_N wrote:Oh, Phil... why do you do this to me? And here I was being so good finishing off my claimed sections and then you go and post another interesting project... you are my downfall :twisted:

May I claim section 2 (for now), please? :D
Because I am evilllll :mrgreen: .... Yes you may have section 2 Julia .... Image Here is a flower from Porter.. she wanted you to have it.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

kandi1234 wrote:Oh yipey stripeys...insomnia will be the death of me...but I love porter! I know you haven't assigned section 1 to me yet Phil but I have it ready...heads up, I got super excited to use a deep southern accent as well as a Texan southern accent. Us Dallas actresses are silly! It may be too much for the project (like too twangy I think) so please see if it is to your liking. Also, since it wasn't officially assigned to me yet, feel free to disregard it if needed in regards of technical purposes. But if it's ok I'll send it to you anyway and I'm open to take any other chapters (3-and on if needed! ) also, I talked to holly and we might be able to knock out a good number of chapters tag team style! Let us know of that is ok! Ps u r still a rock star!! :)
Thanks your enthusiasm kandi. I have assigned chapter 1 to you and will now give you chapter 3. The first story is really good, typical Porter, and can use some nifty Southern accents so feel free. I'm sure you will Perform that sucker, not just read it. That's my motto. (My grand kids say I'm the best.)

Here is someone for you Image.
Joggler

Post by Joggler »

Hi :)

May I claim sections 12 and 13 please?
This book looks like a very exciting read!
Alex - My Twitter

"Life is never fair...And perhaps it is a good thing for most of us that it is not." - Oscar Wilde

My recordings :)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Joggler wrote:Hi :)

May I claim sections 12 and 13 please?
This book looks like a very exciting read!
Certainly. Hey, don't I know you from somewhere? I see you have had no trouble at all learning to surf the Forums and find good stuff to read. HA.

12 and 13 are yours to enjoy. I wouldn't say they were exciting, more like poignant and touching? Or maybe not. Let me know what you think after recording them.

kandi1234

Post by kandi1234 »

Lol! Phil you are so funny!! I'll be sending sections 1 and 3 shortly after editing!! Love the cowgirl smiley! How did you do that? I have to know!

I do have a quick question about editing in regards to knowing what decibel that you're actually recording at. How do I find that out? Thanks again for everything!

Kandi