Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

ChuckW wrote:
ToddHW wrote:Kristin and Amanda

Please sign Chuck up to be DUPONT.

Thanks, Todd
Thanks Todd. I'm excited about taking this role. This looks like one of the most bizarre plays I've ever seen submitted to the one act collection.

I also like that the one acts selected for this collection so far are surprisingly diverse and eclectic. Some odd, obscure choices. I like it! :thumbs:

EDIT: I just went to Hereward Carrington's Wikipedia page... and holy smokes! I want more of this guy's work in the Librivox catalogue!
To be known as the selector of "one of the most bizarre plays ... ever submitted" was not what I really had in mind when I posted that play!

Maybe I am moving towards the strange through - go look at my 7th anniversary collection submittal.

The Wacky One, Todd
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

May I take Nella in Gianni Schicchi?
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Hi Todd

If you want I can prepare a more user-friendly version of the text for Gianni Schicchi and upload it on archive.org. I don't know about other readers but I find the full PDF rather unwieldy.

Cheers

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by JohanLiebert »

Algy Pug wrote:If you want I can prepare a more user-friendly version of the text for Gianni Schicchi and upload it on archive.org. I don't know about other readers but I find the full PDF rather unwieldy.
I want to thank you in advance for the version you'll be making. Archive scans really do take ages to load.
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

ToddHW wrote:Please sign up chocoholic to be Zenobia.
(Hate to pick on what is undoubtedly a carefully chosen forum name, but I am now picturing a chocolate Anubis statue with the ears broken off....)
Er, yeah, the ears. I got a little carried away with the scenery-chewing. It's that kind of role.

(The ears are the best part...)

Todd, I have a question. Since the text calls her Neftari Ra, and it's only the handwritten margin notes (by whomever) that refer to her as Zenobia, shall I use Neftari Ra in the voice credit?
Laurie Anne
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Algy Pug wrote:Hi Todd

If you want I can prepare a more user-friendly version of the text for Gianni Schicchi and upload it on archive.org. I don't know about other readers but I find the full PDF rather unwieldy.

Cheers

Algy Pug
I would be DELIGHTED. To prepare a cueing file to load as labels into Audacity (showing me where to cut in all the submitted material as it arrives, rather than waiting until I have everything and then trying to piece it together as one big job), I have to make up a text file of all the character names and each dialog phrase. None of the archive full-text versions were going to suit the bill and I was looking at having to do a buncha typing to correct the best text version I found.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

JohanLiebert wrote:May I take Nella in Gianni Schicchi?
Yes you may. Thank you!

Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

chocoholic wrote:
ToddHW wrote:Please sign up chocoholic to be Zenobia.
(Hate to pick on what is undoubtedly a carefully chosen forum name, but I am now picturing a chocolate Anubis statue with the ears broken off....)
Er, yeah, the ears. I got a little carried away with the scenery-chewing. It's that kind of role.

(The ears are the best part...)

Todd, I have a question. Since the text calls her Neftari Ra, and it's only the handwritten margin notes (by whomever) that refer to her as Zenobia, shall I use Neftari Ra in the voice credit?
Well this is confusing. The title of the play is Zenobia and the character list has been marked up to say that Ra is wrong and should be Zenobia. Although all her character cues say Ra, the first one for her is crossed out and corrected to "Zenobia (all through)".

BUT she calls herself Neftari Ra once (unless I missed it neither of the men say her name), and there are some lines in the narration that refer to Ra.

Insert thinking smilie to buy myself some time.... I read the above paragraph 3 more times. I can't find another version of this play anywhere to check.

I use my Godlike BC powers: let's go with Zenobia. Change the one reference to being Ra to Zenobia and do your voice credit as Zenobia.

Kristin and Amanda, can you add a note for the narrator to "say Zenobia everywhere the uncorrected script says Ra" please?

Thanks, Todd
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Todd, I agree it's unclear, but since we don't change the texts, and we don't know who hand-wrote "Zenobia" in this one (or when!), it is probably safer to read it as originally written. I don't want to overrule you, though, so maybe Arielle will weigh in?

I couldn't find another version of this either (I looked last night to see if there was a version easier to read on a mobile device). They all seem to be copies of the Archive upload.
Laurie Anne
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

chocoholic wrote:Todd, I agree it's unclear, but since we don't change the texts, and we don't know who hand-wrote "Zenobia" in this one (or when!), it is probably safer to read it as originally written. I don't want to overrule you, though, so maybe Arielle will weigh in?

I couldn't find another version of this either (I looked last night to see if there was a version easier to read on a mobile device). They all seem to be copies of the Archive upload.
I am very willing to be overruled on this. (I see what you do in this play to people who displease you. I'm not getting in your way!) It really only affects you in two spots (voice credit and when you first introduce yourself) and the narrator a couple of times.

That if you are Ra then who is this Zenobia that the play is named for is my best argument for thinking the handwritten Zenobia is a correct correction.

Kristin and Amanda - any decision you want to offer?

Thanks, Todd
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

I think it's okay to say Zenobia, in the interest of not confusing the listener. I don't think that's 'changing' so much as clarifying the text, and there is precedent--there was a recent project where the text read 'Brancha' for a character's name but we all read it as 'Bianca' since that's the currently accepted pronunciation.
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Here it is - a more user-friendly PDF version of the text for Gianni Schicchi:

http://ia600804.us.archive.org/8/items/GianniSchicchi/GianniSchicchi-English.pdf

Enjoy!

If you would like I could also upload a pronunciation guide to the names of the characters.

Cheers

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Kristingj »

ToddHW wrote:
chocoholic wrote:Todd, I agree it's unclear, but since we don't change the texts, and we don't know who hand-wrote "Zenobia" in this one (or when!), it is probably safer to read it as originally written. I don't want to overrule you, though, so maybe Arielle will weigh in?

I am very willing to be overruled on this. (I see what you do in this play to people who displease you. I'm not getting in your way!) It really only affects you in two spots (voice credit and when you first introduce yourself) and the narrator a couple of times.

That if you are Ra then who is this Zenobia that the play is named for is my best argument for thinking the handwritten Zenobia is a correct correction.

Kristin and Amanda - any decision you want to offer?

Thanks, Todd
I would agree with Arielle. We're not changing the story at all, and as I understand, it's only one time in the actuall spoken text that it is mentioned.
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Algy Pug wrote:Here it is - a more user-friendly PDF version of the text for Gianni Schicchi:

http://ia600804.us.archive.org/8/items/GianniSchicchi/GianniSchicchi-English.pdf

Enjoy!

If you would like I could also upload a pronunciation guide to the names of the characters.

Cheers

Algy Pug
Thank you for the PDF - I'll steer all volunteers back to your posting here.

For pronunciation, standard PL will allow a lot of leeway - I realistically will be happy enough if "Gianni Schicchi" gets rendered as something close to "Johnny Skeeky". But I know that it will make readers much more comfortable to hear the other character names correctly (perhaps prospective readers are hanging back at present cuz of this concern) so I thank you in advance for such a guide!

Thanks, Todd
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

I'd like to coordinate the following play:

Augustus Does His Bit (1917)
by George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3487
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G_B_Shaw

Four roles:
Lord Augustus Highcastle
Horatio Floyd Beamish
The Lady
Narrator

And I'd like to claim The Lady for myself, please. :)